Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Winter Reservations Florida 2015 Feb-Mar

We have camped in Florida the last 9 years but getting reservations for Feb-Mar 2016 is a bear!

I must admit we were lazy in that we did not start 11 months in advance as we have in other years so now we are unable to access our favorite parks and we will be forced to try some new state parks or cancel all we have now up to mid Feb and try Arizona for the first time.(I like the idea of staying put 1 month at a time but DW likes to move after 7-10 days so AZ would work for me)

We are wondering about a County Park near Belle Glade FL - Torry Island. It has mixed reviews but it looks OK to me and the rate is reasonable. I know about mosquitos but with the right spray out side is manageable ( we stayed in Flamingo last year and survived)

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge/experience with Torry Island park in Florida.

Another question is what about Tomoka State Park in FL? For the past 9 years we have avoided the Atlantic side of Florida as we found Johnathon Dickenson to be unpleasant because of the wind. Will Tomoka be as windy also?

Would Faver Dykes and Gamble Rogers be wind tunnels as well?

Please relate any experience you might have with these parks
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Florida SP have adopted a new rule about the length of departure between the two week maximum stay. You must depart for at least 3 days between the next 2 week stay. This rule change happened in April of this year. We wanted to stay at JDSP for last 3 weeks in November and was hoping the Rangers would let us stay in their "overflow" site between the 2nd and 3rd week or go to a WM. They're not allowed to do that any more. We had to make a reservation for 3 nights off sight.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear you were 'jammed up' over a 3rd weekend at that time of year but the departure rule has been long overdue. I did not know about it. I have been at Collier Seminole and watched people go to Walmart in Naples for 1 nite and then back for another 2 weeks so this rule should make it more fair. We have always made reservations for 2 weeks then on to another park. I was aware of the Ortona/St. Lucie rule

I hope some people get an ugly suprise when they try to use another reservation to stay beyond 2 weeks in a park and cannot find accomodation near by. I hope they lose their reservation due to 'no show'

I have overhead many times campers bragging how many weeks they will stay in the Keys and other gulfside parks
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Belle Glade is a rough area-(I live about 50 miles from there) no restaurants to speak of, not even a good grocery store.

I have stayed twice at Faver, and like it- the other 2 are very near there, and appear to be similar-they are all on the Ocean. I have never felt Wind Blown there-but it can be breezy at the beach.

I have stayed at Jonathan Dickinson-and like it- but there are no trees there to break the wind. I did not notice high winds when I was there.

I am not saying you are wrong about the winds, I just have not experienced them .

I suggest you look at Lake Luisa-it is in a nice area-near Disney-on a big Lake- it was once private Orange Grove. Lots of good restaurants & things to do over there.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #5

Lake Louisa in Clermont, FL is pretty -- but many sites can be a challenge to get level on for a 40-ft motorhome. Also be aware that very few sites have sewer, though there is a good double dump station and a few low priced washers/dryers.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #6

We are staying at Gamble Rogers the 1st two weeks of Jan 2016. First time there, so I hope the wind is not to bad.
graysondee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, winter