Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #43

Super nice place near the French Quarter in New Orleans, two in fact.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are in the beginning of week 3 of our first "winter Texan" year at Winter Ranch (WR) in Alamo, TX. Sandee and I are just starting our FT adventures after retirement so our experience is rather limited and our budget is pretty good but not extravagant. With that in mind here is my rookie review.

WR is an older park in design. It is well kept and organized. Directly to the west of RV is Trophy Garden a "sister" operation run by Wilder. They do have combined activities to some extent and share an "open boarder" so folks can go between them without leaving through one main gate to get to the other main gate.

Being an older park there are still lots of 30 amp service locations and we did have to search a bit for a lot that would accommodate both our 43' MH & have 50 amp service. Even then, we were lucky there was an unused spot (WR doesn't use it because it is too narrow) directly behind us to park our toad. We are happy with our location but it does take a couple sets of eyes and a trip over the grass to get our MH into that slot. Obviously, shorter RVs will be less challenged.

At current rates a typical 3 month stay at WR is about $482/mo plus electricity. 4 months works out to $433/mo plus electricity. This works well within our budget allow us to spend more on CGs when we head out in April.

WR seems to be popular with IL, IA, MN and Canadians. Everyone we have met has been nice but I really feel the IA/IL rivalry building up in me. LOL GO ILLINI!

WR has no lacking of activities! You can drive yourself crazy trying to do too many.

WR, like most operations here, has a healthy contingent of full timers with park models through out the park. There are always some for sale and perhaps even rent. I'm not sure I would like to live here year round but for now we have a wander lust that over rides being planted anywhere.

I have met several Veterans who have relocated to this area because of VA facilities. Medical facilities in general seem good with lots of recommendations. I may need knee surgery and have been given very good recommendations from recent patients to an orthopedic surgeon that has high marks. I also wanted to be in this area for dental work in Mexico but haven't have time to research the recommendations we have received so far.

Like all of the better resorts in the RGV, WR is pretty secure. Access is controlled 24/7. That being said, I don't mind venturing "outside the wire" at all. There are some areas I would avoid but what large metro doesn't.

We like the location for access to McAllen shopping and eating. There are TONS of taco places and Mexican oriented restaurants close by but there are sufficient other kinds of restaurants also close by. Clearly, the entire RGV is oriented towards Mexican clients from both sides of the boarder. In the smaller taco places they often speak enough english that you don't have to resort to sign language but through out the RGV language is not a barrier unless you get in an accident with a Mexican driver. LOL

Traffic...what a shock. There is both a Business 83 and a HWY 83 running through the RGV area we are in The Business 83 parallels HWY 83 about 1-2 miles south and still has some places you will want to visit. HWY 83/I-2 is a typical Texas design with a parallel frontage road with lots of on and off ramps and U-turns under it. Posted speeds are 65-70 MPH but because of the constant mergers and drivers diving for the off ramps the 2 right lanes seldom seem to be faster than 55 and there are lots of speed changes/brake applications you will need to make in those 2 lanes when it is busy. The far left lane is generally closer to the speed limit but you will have some real fast folks weaving in and out of that lane. While driving on the frontage roads you will have to be extremely careful about traffic swooping off of HWY 83 into your blind spot to your left. The drivers here are extremely aggressive in stop and go traffic and will force themselves into nonexistent gaps between you and the car in front when they "merge".

Christmas Eve and New Years Eve...well...let's just say they take their fireworks around here SERIOUS! New Years Eve started at around 10 PM and I think I had a small inkling about what it might sound like in an urban war zone. I'm talking non-stop from 10 PM to about 1215 AM! A few more "rounds" around 1 & 2 AM also.

All in all...we are pleased with our selection. Because I plan to have dental work done over the course of a couple years we will probably return to WR.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #45

Anyone stay in Zapata, TX?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #46

plan on being a winter texan in december 2014

hi all am looking for a decent rv park in southeast texas. I have a brother that lives in Beaumont, but not sure if that is far enough south for the winter. any suggestions on where to go, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you ray
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
hi all am looking for a decent rv park in southeast texas. I have a brother that lives in Beaumont, but not sure if that is far enough south for the winter. any suggestions on where to go, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you ray
I am wintering West of Austin and according to other Winter Texans it has been colder this year then years past. That being said it was in the low 70's and sunny yesterday and we expect more of the same for the next week

Our RV park is in the Hill Country 250 mile West and a little North of Beaumont so I would think that the weather would be a little warmer overall.

One of the Winter Texans in our park spent a couple of years in a park near Beaumont before his son moved to Austin and he talks highly of the park they stayed in, "Gulf Coast RV Resort" and according to their WEB site they are highly rated by Woodalls and Trailer Life. Gulf Coast RV Resort | Beaumont Texas Rv Campground
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #48

Yes. It's much colder this year than normally for dec/ jan. Look at Lake Travis near Austin. La Hacienda RV park looks nice
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
As mentioned, it has been colder than usual this winter. The following forecast for Houston is more typical of SE Texas - Beaumont is about 90 miles east of Houston.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
Yes. It's much colder this year than normally for dec/ jan. Look at Lake Travis near Austin. La Hacienda RV park looks nice
We have been staying at La Hacienda RV Resort since last October and will depart mid March for the SE Coast...we love it here!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #51

thx for the replies guys appreciate it
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just a bump to see if any updates or new contributions... Hope to be in RGV for Dec 1st - end of Feb or so. Seems many RGV CG / "resorts" only take reservations for 4 months or more until after July 1st -- I believe that's what I've seen. After July 1st other 1 - 2 - 3... Month reservations are taken.

So best - worst - wish we had - never again - and why places to winter in RGV?

Thanks!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Just a bump to see if any updates or new contributions... Hope to be in RGV for Dec 1st - end of Feb or so. Seems many RGV CG / "resorts" only take reservations for 4 months or more until after July 1st -- I believe that's what I've seen. After July 1st other 1 - 2 - 3... Month reservations are taken.

So best - worst - wish we had - never again - and why places to winter in RGV?

Thanks!
La Hacienda RV Resort (Hudson Bend) West of Austin will go month to month but the sites fill up fast so if you are interested I would give them a call. I also know that a couple of RV Resorts in Kerrville Texas will go month to month but again they fill up fast. You wait too long to make a reservation and you will not find anything in a decent park.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #54

For us the "Hill country" is not quite warm enough , course ,was there a place this last
Winter? We go to SPI, KOA. a bit pricy. $800.00 a month
For three months. All inclusive .for the most part it is green and warm.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc
For us the "Hill country" is not quite warm enough , course ,was there a place this last
Winter? We go to SPI, KOA. a bit pricy. $800.00 a month
For three months. All inclusive .for the most part it is green and warm.
I'm with you on Hill Country. Living in DFW area going south to Kerrville or Austin won't do it for us going full time.

I saw the SPI KOA online but haven't called yet. They only take 27 day reservations online or by phone at HQ - have to call the actual KOA.

So I have a friend who shall remain nameless who was concerned about the rig being in Salt Air for 3 or 4 months. Take any wash / wax precautions / special cleaning to keep rust from setting in?

Thanks for the info. I thought the SPI KOA looked nice...
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm with you on Hill Country. Living in DFW area going south to Kerrville or Austin won't do it for us going full time.

I saw the SPI KOA online but haven't called yet. They only take 27 day reservations online or by phone at HQ - have to call the actual KOA.

So I have a friend who shall remain nameless who was concerned about the rig being in Salt Air for 3 or 4 months. Take any wash / wax precautions / special cleaning to keep rust from setting in?

Thanks for the info. I thought the SPI KOA looked nice...
Steve and Annie
You can ge the coach/fiver hand washed and waxed for &4.25 / ft.
Plus I use some silicone spray and W-D-40!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, winter