Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV CAMPING FORUMS > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winter Texan Locations

We arrived in the hill country west of Austin as a starting point to investigate Texas as a winter destination and we are looking for recommendations for RV resorts to consider.

Thanks in advance for your time!

FMCA-F423222, TDC, FCOC & Tri-State Traveliers
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope you can keep us informed on how your adventure goes. We are considering going to Texas next year rather then FL. Hopefully I can get some ideas from your experience. Please keep us up to date on your travels. Enjoy yourselves.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I hope you can keep us informed on how your adventure goes. We are considering going to Texas next year rather then FL. Hopefully I can get some ideas from your experience. Please keep us up to date on your travels. Enjoy yourselves.
Will do...tried the Florida thing last winter and it did not appeal to us that is why we are in Texas this year.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Will do...tried the Florida thing last winter and it did not appeal to us that is why we are in Texas this year.
Okie Dokie, I'll be watching for some updates. Until then I'll have some
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

Jack, we will be staying here: Johnson Creek RV Resort/Park & Cabins,/ located in Kerrville Tx for the winter starting on Nov 1st.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My parents have used El Valle del Sol (Mission TX) about the last 10 years. It's not as fancy some of the others, but the price is right (about $425 month) They have a active woodworking shop and a large dance hall (Peppermint Palace Recreation Hall).
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
Jack, we will be staying here: Johnson Creek RV Resort/Park & Cabins,/ located in Kerrville Tx for the winter starting on Nov 1st.
Thanks Tom, I will check it out.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
My parents have used El Valle del Sol (Mission TX) about the last 10 years. It's not as fancy some of the others, but the price is right (about $425 month) They have a active woodworking shop and a large dance hall (Peppermint Palace Recreation Hall).
Thanks Jim!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, the Gulf Coast of Texas is a long stretch, and the further South you go, the little bit warmer it is.

I live near Galveston. There are many RV parks in the area and most are $500 or less per month. My typical suggestion is Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, TX. It is located near a lot of nice easy ride places. We just rode through Ron Hoover's RV park on the way to Galveston - don't know the formal name of the park, but when I called there today the rates are $40 a night, $175 a week, and $475 a month all with FHU.

Only dissapointing thing to me is that the location is not really an easy in/easy out as you have to travel on the feeder road for 3 miles before you can turn around and go North or anywhere that is "nicer" than the boonies. The sites all looked near level . They are also an RV Dealer and the have "Service Row" for RV's that need repairs.

For convenience, Green Caye is my better choice. If you are interested in a particular park in the area, give a holler. I'm sure I have driving through it and if not, then I will and report back.

BTW - There is an RV Park in Manvel, Texas called "Almost Heaven." I drove out to it yesterday to give it a look. Nice settings and a place I would suggest for that area. However, the land is owned by a development company and they are closing the park October 31 to build a new subdivision. Sucks.

Make reservations in Texas. There is a lot fo construction going on, plus the oil business and the workers have found out it is a lot cheaper to live in an RV park than a motel. Many places are near full.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're looking in the Hill Country, I'll throw out some of our favorites in no particular order. Not knowing your preferences, these range from high end concrete resort to the more rustic (but still nice, in our opinion).

Kerrville -
Buckhorn Lake
Guadalupe River

Fredericksburg -
Fredericksburg RV Park

Stonewall -
Peach Country

Johnson City -
Miller Creek

Boerne -
Alamo Fiesta

San Antonio -
Admiralty
Braunig Lake

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #11

Fredericksburg is a neat town and area. Be sure to check it out!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Fredericksburg is a neat town and area. Be sure to check it out!
We are headed for Fredericksburg and Kerrville tomorrow for a look see. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have spent the last two winters at the Lazy L&L Campground in New Braunfels on the Guadalupe River. Great owners and many folks return year after year. Easy access to most anything you need and very affordable. Area businesses understand Winter Texans and are very welcoming. The Tye Preston Memorial Library even issues us library cards and grants us full access.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We committed to Winter Ranch in Alamo, TX in the McAllen area of the Rio Grande Valley. It is one of 7 Wilder resorts in the area. Wilder RV Resorts - Texas Resorts We got some very good recommendations from fellow IL RVers and also folks running the Newmar Kountry Klub.

First time Wilder customers can get 4 months for the price of 3 working out to about $360/mo. This is our first winter after we retire in Nov. We opted for the rather long time period to control costs while Sandee and I await for our retirements to get fully processed and stabilized. We do plan a few sidebar RV trips while there. Also, I am planning some dental work in Reynosa, MX.

There are also a couple other large resort groups in that general area.

After seeing a MH that Wintered near the ocean in FL I don't want anything to do with coastal resorts for such a long time period. That is why we avoided places further east.

We will take some "look see" trips to other areas for future considerations. It will be exciting.

Tags
cat, winter