Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

Winter tour of Texas - Where to go, what to see, places to stay?

What do you suggest if I want to spend three months staying a month from January-March in different parts of Texas to explore each area? What would those areas be? Why? Where have you stayed that would work for a 45'MH? I am from Minnesota so a few temporary Texas "cold" days wouldn't bother me.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #2

If coming in January through March, weatherwise, I'd start with one month at the far south - McAllen, Mission area; then move north to the Rockport area; then farther north by March to the 'Hill Country' area (Fredericksburg is nice).
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Starting on the east side, Houston and Galveston, you can settle at Beach City for a few days to visit both cities and the beach.
Going west, Austin and San Antonio are a must to visit for a few days.
Back down south, Mustang Island and Corpus Christie and the Rio Grande valley are nice for a long stay and visit Mexcico.
Going back up north, you can visit Fort Worth & Dallas for a few days and the head back home.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Recommendation for things to see in TX

Would place Fredericksburg, Tx on your list. The Nimitz World War II museum is awesome. Will need to plan for a full day.
jabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

Love visiting Texas. Fredericksburg is a great base to explore the Hill country. You won't be there for the bluebonnets and wildflowers but you can use it as a base to visit LBJ State and National Parks, the Nimitz took us more than a day, there is also a fort and an interesting display on the Texas Rangers. Austin has great museums and the Lady Bird Wildflower center, and the LBJ Library. San Antonio has the Mission trail in addition to the Alamo. We biked the mission trail, good way to get out and explore. .

Abilene was a good stop for several days. The Dallas Ft. Worth area has many interesting sites and museums. We really liked the Stockyards in Ft Worth. When we visited last fall we were there for the State Fair. Well worth the effort if you're ever there in Sept-Oct. We also toured the Texas Book Depository. We spent several days in Amarillo, Palo During Canyon SP is worth a look see. We spent some time in Lubbock, the National Ranching Heritage Center, Windmill museum, Buddy Holly Museum and Prairie Dog Village were our favorite stops there.

Other stops in Texas were El Paso (more missions) and San Angelo. Oh, and I almost forgot, Waco. The Waco Mammoth NM and the Texas Ranger museum were good stops and in Houston you need to visit the Johnson Space Center.

So much to see and do. Enjoy your visit.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #6

One thing I left out of my post above. Visiting Texas as an easterner, it is hard to imagine how big the state is! In Virginia you can stay in the Richmond area and do day trips to almost every area of the state and DC. When we crossed into Texas on I-10 we were at MM 880! I didn't notice what the MM was when we crossed from Texas to Oklahoma.

Where it is 60 or 70 miles between most cities in the south east, it is 100 - 200 miles in Texas.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #7

Visit Travel Texas and have them send you a free copy of the Texas State Travel Guide. Lots of good info.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Texas is only 790 miles by 773 miles or 268,597 square miles ! It is the second biggest state after Alaska !
Old 08-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #9

Thank you all for providing such wonderful advice. Enjoy the day!
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by legrandnorm View Post
Texas is only 790 miles by 773 miles or 268,597 square miles ! It is the second biggest state after Alaska !
It's further from Waskom on the east to El Paso than from El Paso to L.A.
March would be a good time for Palo Duro Canyon up in the Pan Handle.
I know ya'll get snow & cold in Minnesota , snow sometimes from Lubbock north but our weather here in a great portion of state during winter is if it gets bad its an ice storms. Trees, power lines down, and nobody knows how to drive on ice here . Just stay camped a few days & it will be gone
We say here in Texas if you don't like our weather just wait a minute. Winter is warm a few days then cold then back up. Bermuda shorts on Monday & insulated coveralls by Tuesday.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:07 AM   #11

Start in the Rio Grande Valley

I agree with one of the comments above. I would start in the Rio Grande Valley. There’s plenty of camp grounds, but I would get my reservation in soon. Work you way north each month. We have friends from Minnesota who are in the Valley from November through February and then head up to the Hill country for a month. Texas is huge. There’s a lot to see and do. Take your time. Enjoy!
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #12

If you can get in you might try Big Bend National Park. Nothing else like it. You can even cross the river and visit Mexico with passport.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Depends on what you want, Texas is a very diverse state.

We like Galveston and Fredericksburg. In fact will be the Nov-Dec.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #14

Just a bit of follow up, while it may not get as cold in Texas as where you live, it can certainly be miserable in January and February in much of the state, much of west Texas is dry, and parts of it are at elevations of 5,000 feet or higher (Amarillo is at 3,600 ft, El Paso is at 3,750), this means extreme temperature swings between day and night. It is also variable, we were considering a long weekend trip to the Texas Hill Country in February a year ago, and canceled at the last minute due to the weather forecast with lows of around 5 degrees, and highs in the mid 20's for the entire weekend, the previous weekend had been highs in the 50's, lows in the 30's.

In general your best winter weather in Texas will be found along the coast where the warm gulf waters will mitigate cold norther air, as well as the southern tip of the RGV. Just be aware that this mitigating factor tends to only extend inland 15-20 miles or so. What this means is the coastal area will be 5-10 degrees warmer than farther inland, but will still experience cold days for 1-2 days about once every 7-10 days when a cold front with strong north winds blows through, then will have a slow warming trend until the next front arrives, with highs in the 70's fairly common in the days before the next front with freezing air blows through.

To put this another way I have been in Galveston in January a number of times when the temperature was in the 70's, but have all been there when it was in the upper 20's with freezing rain.

p.s. see this link for the USDA plant hardiness map for Texas, which ranges from zone 6b with an average winter low of -5F up through zone 10a with an average winter low of 35F for the RGV.
https://q7i2y6d5.stackpathcdn.com/wp...xas_map_lg.gif
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, texas, winter