Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #29

The only repetitive negative comment about Texas is complaints about the wind. Of coarse those who know Texas know winds. If that is the only complaint they are doing something right. We stayed at a city park in Port Lavaca. Just wonderful, right on the water & a nature preserve. A boardwalk meandered through the preserve which I walked each morning. No social events but that works for us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
The only repetitive negative comment about Texas is complaints about the wind.
That depends upon where in Texas you are. The comment is more applicable the closer you are to the Gulf Coast, generally. The Hill Country, Central Texas, etc. wouldn't have that problem.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I suggest getting passport america and stay at numerous parks the first winter you go down so you can see a lot of different options. it pays for itself quickly and a lot of cg in Texas accept it in the winter, but most Fl. cg do not let you use it in the winter. you can cancel after the first year if you find a place to settle down and do not need it anymore.we have wintered in both places and heard positives and negatives about both.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #32

Passport America, hugh? Googled their website. Interesting. Will check this out. Thanks for the suggestion.
rvp986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #33

Passport America...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I suggest getting passport america and stay at numerous parks the first winter you go down so you can see a lot of different options. it pays for itself quickly and a lot of cg in Texas accept it in the winter, but most Fl. cg do not let you use it in the winter. you can cancel after the first year if you find a place to settle down and do not need it anymore.we have wintered in both places and heard positives and negatives about both.
I purchased a membership to Passport America last night. After looking over their website, I was amazed by the savings one can obtain by utilizing their membership. I'm thinking this is really going to be a useful tool in our travels. My wife says, 'Oh, you didn't know about them?" We are members of the Good Sam Club. Don't get me wrong, but 10% is better than nothing. Most of the RV parks honor it, but I have found many who don't. Since they have joined forces with Camping World, that helps when you need parts or just over the counter RV goods, but a savings of 50% on an overnight stay with Passport America just blows my mind away. Wow! This can really add up.

My only concern is this... As mentioned, the parks in Texas usually accept it during the winter, but Florida parks do not. That's interesting. Doesn't Passport America shy away from this problem? After all, that goes against their policy, doesn't it? I sure hope this works out. As some say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." I guess, we'll see.

I got a two year membership, as I want to really check things out for at least that time frame, before settling down. To tell the truth, I'm a little afraid of settling down. I might just get fat and lazy, if I do.

Thanks for the help!
rvp986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
[QUOTE=rvp986;1159061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Some mention the winds are very strong at times in the RGV area. I assume, because being close to the gulf, this naturally happens. Are the winds high at times at the Aransas/Rockport area? When we stayed near Daytona Beach, (Post Orange, Fl), last month, seemed we had days of high winds, but other days were very calm... In fact, some very warm days and wished we had some wind, at times.
Caveat - I'm going to get in trouble with my Navy friends, or other weather smart people over this. . .

The winds across and near the beach are usually caused by temp differences between the land mass and the body of water. The greater the difference, the greater increase in wind related movement. That's one reason why the evenings always produce wind off the ocean in the evenings, the land mass holds heat longer than the water, and as heat rises it creates air flow from the body of water (at least that's the way I understand it).

I've visited, fished, and stayed in the Rockport area a lot. Love it down there. And, the wind can be pretty strong depending on time of year, temp, ect. But if you take precautions when parked near the waterways (and I'm a mile inland here in South Florida at present - and we have wind all the time), you shouldn't have any real issues.

Now, I'll sit back and wait for the smart people to correct me where I was inaccurate. It's one of the things I love about this site - I'm always getting an education!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp986 View Post
I purchased a membership to Passport America last night. After looking over their website, I was amazed by the savings one can obtain by utilizing their membership. I'm thinking this is really going to be a useful tool in our travels. My wife says, 'Oh, you didn't know about them?"

My only concern is this... As mentioned, the parks in Texas usually accept it during the winter, but Florida parks do not. That's interesting. Doesn't Passport America shy away from this problem? After all, that goes against their policy, doesn't it? I sure hope this works out. As some say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." I guess, we'll see.

I got a two year membership, as I want to really check things out for at least that time frame, before settling down. To tell the truth, I'm a little afraid of settling down. I might just get fat and lazy, if I do.

Thanks for the help!
if you travel very much at all I am pretty sure you will get $ worth. at least we did when we used it. I have heard people say with todays fuel prices, if it is hot and you have to run your gen set, P.A. cg's are cheaper to stay at for the night then boondocking somewhere. unless they have changed only a few cg's in Fl. accept P.A.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn
We stayed our first year after retiring, in the rgv. We stayed at Victoria Palms, a very nice park. Wanting to explore other places we have wintered in AZ, and Fla. This year we plan to return to the rgv.
We spend our first time as Winter Texans at Victoria's sister Alamo Palms.
Looking for a change this year and are heading to AZ. Any suggestions regarding parks with similar amenities to Victoria-Alamo
Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are not a Pasport member, join. Then come on down to the RGV. try some of the PA parks and look around for park to stay for the duration.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_reeh View Post
Just a little suggestion but I love the New Braunfels area. If you have the chance to check it out you definitely should. It has a smaller town feel with big cities within a 20-40 minute drive. It is a very up and coming (growing) area with a lot to do with the wonderful river to go float down or abundance of little shops to check out. Gruene is also right there with many wineries and wonderful restaurants.
Unfortunately the worlds worst road (I-35) runs right thru the middle of it. A bad fender bender is worth an hours wait. A death may close it for hours! We've got the T-shirts to prove it.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm51 View Post
We spend our first time as Winter Texans at Victoria's sister Alamo Palms.
Looking for a change this year and are heading to AZ. Any suggestions regarding parks with similar amenities to Victoria-Alamo

If your planning to be around Pheonix, Canyon Vistas in Gold Canyon is very nice. We also stayed at Rincon west in Tucson. Rincon W has an Air Force base near by so I forget exactly but believe they return around five Pm. We had about an hour every evening with the low flying jets returning. We didn't think is was bad enough not to return. We liked both areas. Yuma for us was a one time visit. If you do visit Yuma I would avoid CoCopah unless you're a golfer.and don't mind an occasional golf ball bouncing off your rig! We spent our winter moving to the three different areas. Visited Quartsite while in Yuma area, Quartsite to me is a must see to believe!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #40

If you liked Victoria Palms, you will no doubt love the Yuma Palms RV Resort.
It is one of the most beautiful RV parks that I have seen in Arizona. It has a lot of the amenities that we liked to surround yourself with. It is located in the Foothills area in Yuma, AZ. Take a look at the web site Yuma Palms RV Resort

Good luck,

Gaetan
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp986 View Post
My wife and I got back from the Port Orange, (Daytona Beach), Florida area in early April, 2012. We went south for about five weeks. Beings this was our first lengthy stay, away from Nebraska, as we are contemplating partial to full retirement, we decided to hang out in this area during Daytona Bike Week. (we also ride Harley-Davidson's in our spare time and RV the rest). On this trip, we left the bikes at home to just relax and put our feelers out to find a nice location to spend retirement... hoping to find such a paradise. Our goal is to check out Florida, other southern states, to include Texas.

To say the least, we were totally disappointed with the campground we stayed at. (Nova Family Campground). Without going into detail... a quick way to explain in quotes... "It was a DUMP". I thought I was being smart and reserved it for a month, in advance. I guess, I was thinking I wouldn't have a site when arriving, if we didn't. Not too smart! With that being said, we would like to try Texas next winter, maybe for a couple of months.

This is "really tough"... finding an area and campground that's reasonable, fun and fitting. Never thought we'd have this kind of a problem when retirement came along. We paid $862.50 + $27 for two pet fees (two small well behaved Pomeranians), for a month. There's got to be a better way. Besides, Florida is too busy these days. Traffic is terrible. Weather's nice, but that's all its got going for it.

I was told by an experienced retired individual, who goes to Texas, every winter..."You can't afford Florida and Arizona, but you can afford Texas.". I'm wondering if he was right???

Can someone please help? We, obviously, need an education and a whole bunch of recommendations.
We spent our 1st winter in TX and loved it. Spent a month in Corpus, was not so great but OK.
Spent a month at a park called The Lagoons in Rockport, TX which is on the Gulf Coast about 45 miles north of Corpus. Mid to high price but a great park and lots of nice people.
Stayed in San Antonio at a little park called Hidden Valley RV Park. (took in the San Antonio Rodeo) Very nice people and cheap ($300/mo). Kind of like being out in the country but only 20 min from downtown San Anton. No pool and all that stuff but an ideal setting,
Stayed in Kerville, about 60 Miles NW of San Antonio at a park called Buckhorn RV Park. 1st class. Wonderful people etc. etc. The people in the city of Kerville don't get any better. Check out Gruene (the oldest dance hall in TX) and Lukenback while your there. Dance halls and cheap beer. Great food.
We absolutley loved Texas and all there is to see and do. Not quite as warm as you might have seen in FL but I tell you you won't be disapointed.
We went down to the valley (Donna) for a day but prefered Rockport and the Hill Country over all the places. Especially if you are a bird watcher or fisherman. Fun and affordable. What more can I say. Stop by and visit the famous King Ranch in Kingsville, TX.
AND the people love Winter Texans!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a Native Texan and we are just friendly folks!

Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas