Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Wintering in Texas...

My wife and I got back from the Port Orange, (Daytona Beach), Florida area in early April, 2012. We went south for about five weeks. Beings this was our first lengthy stay, away from Nebraska, as we are contemplating partial to full retirement, we decided to hang out in this area during Daytona Bike Week. (we also ride Harley-Davidson's in our spare time and RV the rest). On this trip, we left the bikes at home to just relax and put our feelers out to find a nice location to spend retirement... hoping to find such a paradise. Our goal is to check out Florida, other southern states, to include Texas.

To say the least, we were totally disappointed with the campground we stayed at. (Nova Family Campground). Without going into detail... a quick way to explain in quotes... "It was a DUMP". I thought I was being smart and reserved it for a month, in advance. I guess, I was thinking I wouldn't have a site when arriving, if we didn't. Not too smart! With that being said, we would like to try Texas next winter, maybe for a couple of months.

This is "really tough"... finding an area and campground that's reasonable, fun and fitting. Never thought we'd have this kind of a problem when retirement came along. We paid $862.50 + $27 for two pet fees (two small well behaved Pomeranians), for a month. There's got to be a better way. Besides, Florida is too busy these days. Traffic is terrible. Weather's nice, but that's all its got going for it.

I was told by an experienced retired individual, who goes to Texas, every winter..."You can't afford Florida and Arizona, but you can afford Texas.". I'm wondering if he was right???

Can someone please help? We, obviously, need an education and a whole bunch of recommendations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

We spent our winter in Texas and we like it. The temperature may not be as nice as the southern part of Florida but is certainly quite acceptable. One thing that you will notice right away is that the Texans are very friendly people. Take a look at this RV park: Llano Grande RV Park and Golf Course in the Rio Grande Valley Llano Grande Resort: The Luxury RV Park and Golf Course in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Good Luck,

Gaetan

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you decide on Floriad again and google Emerald Pointe RV Resort and take a look at their site. This is not a campground but a privately owned park. You can check out the rental page for availability. Most owners want to rent their lots for a minimum of 3 months though. Average rental is $550/month plus electric. They have a huge clubhouse, pool, hot tub, billiards, workout room, laundry etc. The park is pet friendly and has various area's to walk the dog/dogs. There are plenty of bike riders here both two wheel and trikes. They are going somewhere in groups all the time. Also have alot of avid car collectors. Check out the site it won't hurt. We spent the winter here and are coming back next year as well. When you see the pics believe me they're everything you see. I was quite amazed when I pulled in thru the gate last Dec. Usually you see one thing on the internet and then when you arrive, well it's something completely different but not here. An excellent and well maintained park. Good luck with your search.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, near Galveston. I rode until an idiot pulled out at broadsided me when i was doing 55 mph down the highway. As you know, even at 50 degrees, riding is cold, but I bundled up and I have ridden in 27 degree weather with a wind chill of 17 degrees. Just bundle up, and riding is year round in our area. Warmer down in the valley.

However, you can find a nice CG around here with FHU for under $400 a month, and that includes electric. So just browse the CG's in this area and if there is one particular one that you are interested in, let me know and I'll scout it for you.

I always recommend Green Caye, in Dickinson, TX - but there are others.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been coming to Texas for the last 6 years. I love it. I spent a few years in SO CA and a few in AZ. Absolutely no comparison.
I prefer the Hill country but most winter Texans go to the Rio Grande Valley. Common rates are about 3-350 a month plus electric. Parks range from small intimate secluded to huge chain operations. Activities of every kind. I even saw advertisement for a nudist park, whatever floats your boat. Fishing is great.
highcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My parents have wintered in South Texas parts of the last 15 years. They have tried all the other winter spots, but have come to love the Mission Texas area. less crowded and much cheaper. Their at one of the cheaper RV parks for about $350-400 a month + elect. They were at El Valle del Sol which is a basic park. I see the 6 month rate at $310 a month. They have a woodworking shop and a dance hall called the "Peppermint Palace" Since there are about 75 RV parks in the Rio Grand Valley many of the RV park will have events at each others parks...So one day there might be a dance at one park, the next day there might be a health fair at another park. If you stay in south Texas for the winter you will be a "Winter Texan".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Try Texas, forget reservations head all the way down to the Rio Grande Valley for warm weather. Very few parks fill up now days stay for a week then extend if you like it. They always have lowered rate to monthly rate if you stay that long. At least that is my experience. Victoria Palms in Donna is very nice. All price ranges can be found just depends on what you want. Not much for riding , can always go over to Padre Island. I prefer to move around, 4 winters in Texas 9 parks, a month in Florida 4 parks, 2 winters Arizona area maybe 10 parks. The riding is best in AZ, put the quiet pipes on and do everyone a favor.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
this is my 3rd extended stay in TX in the past 6 months.

I like Green Caye, has a nice Par 3 9 hole course, little store thats open to 10:00 PM and a small restaurant. $322 for the month, includes electric. Green Caye is about 15 minutes from the Kemah Boardwalk.

THis trip I'm at Marina Bay RV Resort in Kemah. $522 a month plus electric. I spent $167.00 on electric this month but I have the front AC set at 60 to 64 and the rear at 68. I have a nice spot on the back bay of Clear Lake and the evening breezes are great for sitting out.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
paz

In Florida, the closer you are to either coast and the farther south you go, the more expensive it gets. You can find nice campgrounds in central Florida for around $500 a month plus electricity.

That being said, the Rio Grande Valley is generally cheaper than even central Florida, and there are lots of nice campgrounds. The only problem we had in the RGV was wind. We spent some time there our first year of full-timing (2007), and it was windy all day, every day, and all night.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetan Lavoie View Post
We spent our winter in Texas and we like it. The temperature may not be as nice as the southern part of Florida but is certainly quite acceptable. One thing that you will notice right away is that the Texans are very friendly people. Take a look at this RV park: Llano Grande RV Park and Golf Course in the Rio Grande Valley Llano Grande Resort: The Luxury RV Park and Golf Course in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Good Luck,

Gaetan
Thanks for the fast reply, Gaetan. We will certainly look into Llano Grande Resort. Funny. Your quote about the friendliness of the Texans struck a cord with me. That's what I like. For the most part, Floridians are pretty friendly, but you run into many who are not... like they're having a bad and everyone around them needs to have a bad day as well. Or at least they seem to give us that opinion. I have visited with my wife about this topic more than once. I really believe, or it was our conclusion, that the east coast is so busy... hustle & bussle... and they're so crowded that they inherently seem to think they need to take it out on the first one that goes by. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, but that's my opinion. Really makes a vacation less enjoyable. We're going to try out Texas.

Thanks again for your kind help!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
I have been coming to Texas for the last 6 years. I love it. I spent a few years in SO CA and a few in AZ. Absolutely no comparison.
I prefer the Hill country but most winter Texans go to the Rio Grande Valley. Common rates are about 3-350 a month plus electric. Parks range from small intimate secluded to huge chain operations. Activities of every kind. I even saw advertisement for a nudist park, whatever floats your boat. Fishing is great.
Was wondering ??? Why do you prefer the Hill Country over the Rio Grand Valley? Noticed on one of the reply posts that the winds do frequently blow, (got the impression, maybe strong at times), in the Rio Grand Valley. Are the temperatures much cooler in the Hill Country? Personally, I'm not one for a lot of heat. I like cooler temps, within reason. I've always said, "A 70 degree day is perfect with no wind". Was just wondering why ???
Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Try Texas, forget reservations head all the way down to the Rio Grande Valley for warm weather. Very few parks fill up now days stay for a week then extend if you like it. They always have lowered rate to monthly rate if you stay that long.
Ever since the price of diesel has moved to the $4 range, not as many northerners have come down. There are many RVers from Canada that make South Texas their winter home.

There will always be sites available, but if you wanted a nice site many people will put down a deposit for the next year for their favorite site.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp986 View Post
Was wondering ??? Why do you prefer the Hill Country over the Rio Grand Valley? Noticed on one of the reply posts that the winds do frequently blow, (got the impression, maybe strong at times), in the Rio Grand Valley. Are the temperatures much cooler in the Hill Country? Personally, I'm not one for a lot of heat. I like cooler temps, within reason. I've always said, "A 70 degree day is perfect with no wind". Was just wondering why ???
Living in Texas maybe some insight on the differences. The RGV has many more RV parks and more things to do at these parks. The temperatures do stay wamer than the Hill Country. I think anywhere you are along a shoreline or close you have winds. RGV winds usually are not too bad for a coastline. The Hill Country is very nice and a favorite of mine (living near the coast I like the change of scenery) The temperatures can drop to the freezing mark in the winter, but ussually dont stay there very long. We were in short sleeves on New Years eve this year in the Hill Country. The Hill Country also has the 'cowboy' charm. RV parks in the Hill Country do not have quite as many activites going on as down in the RGV. (Some do)
Joyce-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Not to be ignored is the fact that the Texas Hill Country is a motorcycle rider's PARADISE.

Three Twisted Sisters

The Devil's Backbone

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas