Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #1

Wintering in the southwest

We are putting our 2016 plans together, and we're discussing the possibility of wintering in the southwest Dec 2016-Mar 2017.

Is is realistic to split up the time between resorts, or are you really committed to be at one location for the entire sun bird season? For example, stay Dec & Jan at one location in AZ, then spend Feb & Mar at another location in southern CA?

Appreciate your insight!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some winter spots give a bigger monthly $$ discount depending on your length of stay.
At least some do in the SE.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #3

We did just as you asked about only in reverse. We stayed for 2 mos. in So. Cal., Nov. & Dec. before we moved over to Mesa, Az. for the remainder of the winter. If doing it again I'd probably stay a lot longer in the San Diego area.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

wintering in the southwest

We never stay in one place for more than 2-3 weeks. Of course we don't get to take advantage of better rates by the month or the season. In our travels we have had and the places I have checked out online I don't think that you need to stay the entire season in one place unless you want to save some money on rv park fees. The monthly or seasonal rates are better than the daily or weekly rates.

We are, however, getting to the point where we may stay longer to avoid the business of getting going and stopping multiple times.

We really liked San Diego and we were there in 2014 and stayed at Mission Bay RV Resort. It is a little tight but not that bad. Some posted on RV Park Reviews compared it to a parking lot - I disagree. It has a small area for access to Mission bay and there is a trail that goes outside the Park that is nice for dog walking etc. The beauty of the place is that you can rest for a day or two and then you can go out and about as the city parks, etc is a short drive away. The next time we will stay in the area for a month or more.

Campland on the Bay is just across a short water part of the bay - about a miles drive. It is larger, has more amenities and some people like it better than Mission Bay.

We may try Bernardo Shores south of San Diego at Imperial Beach but I heard by the grapevine that it may be shut down for real estate development.

Be careful of the ads for RV Parks as there is one in San Diego that looks good in their ad (Santa Fe Park RV Resort) that didn't look that good to us when we did a drive thru thinking we could extend our stay because we had to leave Mission Bay because they were booked.

We like Tucson - stayed at Rincon Resort East. Close to the Air Force base where you can do a drive by and see literally thousand of military aircraft in mothball storage. There is also an air museum that is supposed to be awesome. Nest time we will go there. Rincon gets booked and you have to be early for February as the Tucson Gem and Mineeral show brings a lot of people to Tucson.

Passing between Tucson and Southern California we like Buckskin Mountain State Park in Parker Arizona. It is a reservation Park and I think that you are limited to 10 or 14 days. It is nice sitting on the Colorado river watching the boats and jet skis zipping by. Parker is situated between Quartzite and Lake Havasu so there is a lot do do if you are there in january for the big quartzite rock and gem shows _ we have missed it when passing thru becasue we were ther in late January but that is OK as I think that it is like a huge swap meet.

We also stay in the Palm Springs area. There are some awesome RV Parks there (some are a litte snooty). We like the Elks lodge in Indio as it is good for a few nights while cheking things out in the area.

Personally we would only spend a month or so in one place as we get bored and there is something else to see as we go down the road.

We prefer Tucson over the Phoenix area as tucson is smaller and has better air quality. Tucson in a way reminds me of Vancouver BC - there is not a good freeway system thru and a round Tucson, but once you learn your way around it is OK.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
We are putting our 2016 plans together, and we're discussing the possibility of wintering in the southwest Dec 2016-Mar 2017.
Is is realistic to split up the time between resorts, or are you really committed to be at one location for the entire sun bird season?
For example, stay Dec & Jan at one location in AZ, then spend Feb & Mar at another location in southern CA?
Appreciate your insight!
Betr2Trvl
We have been wintering in the south or southwest from Nov-March for the last 10 years.
We have always "split up the time" between RV resorts, private campgrounds, state parks and other public parks and BLM free boondocking areas....(NO planing, NO advance reservations, NO PROBLEMS).
Although we have on occasion stayed as long as a month in one place...if my only choice was to stay in one place for the entire snowbird season I would stay home in Wisconsin.
Others have a different opinion and do things differently....that is the beauty of RV ownership.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

I would say!... Wherever you go!... There you are!! We like the same 6 month spot! (9 years now) ...Because that's where the boat is, and I like to fish! Being in an RV, if we want to, (and have) take a trip somewhere, we keep our Park spot and go!

A week in Yuma!... Be sure to visit... Arizona Market Place - Yuma Swap Meet and Flea Market - Yuma, AZ

Quartzsite! Has lost it's luster for us, but still a place to see if you haven't before! (2004 & 5 were the last Awesome years there)

Laughlin & Vegas!

.... So much! So little time!!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #7

If it's the San Diego area, I'd look into Chula Vista RV Resort. They keep it REALLY clean, nice landscaping, great fitness facility. Another is Santee Lakes. A little inland but not bad. I also heard that Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach had been sold. Too bad because that's where I spent my wayward youth, and wanted to make one last pilgrimage there before I hang up the keys early next year. As far as AZ. goes there's a boatload of nice RV parks throughout the southern part of the state to choose from to spend a winter. We spent a few months in the Mesa area a couple winters ago, and will say the temps. were close to perfect. The only thing we didn't like was the dust and the inability of being able to open the windows because of it. But, after all you're in the desert.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The only time you will need reservations is when there is an event in the area. Az. is great and eastern California also so many CGs and great boondocking areas. There is a fair break in cost for a full week or month.

LEN
Old 06-06-2015, 01:39 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I like Tucson, but are thinking about going a little farther south to the town of Benson. It's a nice change from the bigger cities. While it's quiet and has nice views of the desert and mountains there are still amenities in town that makes life pleasant. Some decent places to eat, a shopping center and all around friendly folks. You're close enough to go into Tucson to sight see, or to Tombstone and Bisbee.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

We have wintered in Benson and enjoyed it, staying at the Escapees' Saguaro RV Park. We had some cold nights and some light dustings of snow over the years but it warms sufficiently for us during the day. Butterfield and Cochise Terrace are some other popular RV parks in the area. We enjoyed 4-wheeling, hiking and geocaching and found plenty to do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

Thanks so much. Great to know that it is not a stay for the season or don't stay at all senario.

As you make your wintering plans are you locking in reservations well ahead of time to ensure you have a spot (for at least most of the season), or do you feel there is little chance of not finding somewhere reasonably nice to stay for at least a couple weeks at a time that you an work in to a flexible / "semi traveling" schedule?

As a side note, we lived in LA/Orange County from the mid 80s-mid 90s. So not much for us to want to do "tourist wise" in SoCal. So we are thinking more the Palm Springs / Indio areas that would allow us easy toad trips into LA/OC/SD to visit friends / family. Not to say that I wouldn't think about camping at Bolsa Chica for a week at some point..........

We may also consider storing the RV out there for a couple months in the late spring, fly home to GA, then do a 3-4 month West coast trip up the coast and into Canada.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We will be heading back to the southwest this coming winter. Never had problems getting a place to stay. Although in Mesa in March I did have to take my 3rd choice.

Tags
winter