Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Wondering about New Orleans this winter

Anyone ever stayed here. Ponchatrain RV resort in N Orleans area. How is the crime rate? They mention 24 hour security surveilance and entire park lighted with key card gates. That sorta bothers me as an old LEO.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Doc.
I guess you are concerned with surrounding activities and not so much the security of the park as it seems to be well attended to.

We have stayed a couple times in NO but not at Ponchatrain. We stayed on the West side at the KOA. Sites were nice but when driving to them I was wondering just what you may be wondering. However, we had no problem.

As you know, NO is a very high tourist area. Not everyone is an RV'er. The night life is considerably different than the day life. Most of our activity was during the day and we never had a problem. At night, the alcohol flows more and the typical inebriated types wander the streets. Along with them are the night worms that come out of daytime hiding. As you know, stay on the main streets and you will be safer than wandering off.

Go have fun. It's a nice city to visit, at least once. With your background I know you will be ready for any contingency. Go have fun.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was born in NO and raised in Metairie (suburb). We now live up north by Baton Rouge. I haven't stayed at this park and have not heard anything bad about it. There is another RV park in the French quarter which is very nice (don't remember the name) but kind of pricey. As far as visiting the French quarters Wayne is right, keep a good eye open and never wonder off the beaten path. As far as myself I stay out of the quarters and the city altogether. NO is a beautiful city to visit once, enjoy yourself.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
Anyone ever stayed here. Ponchatrain RV resort in N Orleans area. How is the crime rate? They mention 24 hour security surveilance and entire park lighted with key card gates. That sorta bothers me as an old LEO.
Stayed In winter 09, after Katrina, violence was high at that time In N Orléans , but the resort was secure and very peacefull, Nice place to stay but little extensive !!!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've stayed at the French Quarter three times and went all over the place near there and had no problems. This forum and another one had me scared to death the first time we were going to go there saying it was unsafe. Of course you have to keep in mind we lived in Salinas, CA for 30 years so nothing really bothers us.

Thanks for posting the picture. That looks like a nice place to stay so we may try it the next trip through there.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

I stayed there for a week during the Final Four last March-April. Had no problems whatsoever. They have an gate with access code for secured night entry. Seemed very safe, and was easy to get on/off interstates to/from downtown and other areas. They also have a shuttle to downtown but it only goes a couple times a day. There are grocery, drugstores, etc. nearby. Was nice to be by the lake; I was on a side canal site. Has a a nice pool. Friends stayed at campground a couple miles away and hated it. The one downtown is terribly overpriced during any kind of special event there especially. I'd stay at this one again.
kuhoopsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #7

I stayed there last year with the whole family. We felt very safe but, yes, the surrounding area isn't great. The park itself was very nice and clean. We utilized the shuttle into the French Quarter for dinner but had to cab it home because the shuttle ended rather early. cab ride was $20 and not all cabs will take you there. ( not because of safety, but distance). Kind of a bummer if you plan to visit French Quarter.

On our last trip to NO this summer we stayed at French Quarter RV. It is an even nicer park, lots of security because, again, a bit dicey at night, but we did walk to French Quarter. It's not cheap but the grounds were spotless. It's not very scenic, but if you plan to wander around the French Quarter, logistically you cannot beat it.
ArveeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

We also stayed at FQ RV and found it to be a great location for our adventures in the FQ. We walked everywhere day and night and didn't feel concerned. There is a Police station almost across the street from FQ RV which may have helped
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have stayed at French Quarter x3. A bit pricey but extremely nice. Can walk to downtown and French 1/4 during the day but drive or take a cab at night.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Never have visited, but I have been told that the Bayou Signette State Park is a good place to stay, reasonable and close. What say you guys?

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thanks guys, I looked at the street level views of Google Earth and this French Road address looks pretty narrow and not the best neighborhood. Wayne, thanks for the confidence but I just as soon not get into a confrontation that far away from home - right or wrong.
It might be in our best interest to find another location further away and day-trip into the area to see the sites. MsC is interested in the river traffic and anything around boats and ships.
We were there shortly after Katrina and NO was basically a mess of empty moldy houses from the bridges on I-10 below 12 all the way into down town. Just thinking about taking a look to see how much it has improved. Maybe we will stay in Gulfport and drive over.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We spent 4 days at Ponchartrain RV Resort this summer and were very impressed. We were traveling with 3 other RV's and used Passport America. We used the Resort shuttle service every day. The drive into the Park looks very iffy but there is a lot of reconstruction and rebuilding going on. We shopped in the neighborhood stores and felt very safe. The French Quarter left a lot to be desired in our opinions. Bourbon Street is a disgrace, just my opinion.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote