Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
I live on one of the allegedly worst stretches of Louisiana I10 and have no problems averaging 70+mph in my old diesel pusher, so maybe americans have gotten a little too soft!

aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #16

Like many other heavily populated states, Pennsylvania sure does have its share of highways in very poor condition. I think most all states having major interstates and many large cities suffers with serious traffic overload damage. At least that's been my experience. Let's face it, the states aren't really building many new highways or interstate systems but we continue to significantly increase the traffic load with each passing year.

One example is to simply consider all of the additional FedEx and UPS trucks, both trailers and local delivery trucks, on the highways since the massive popularity of on-line shopping in recent years. Oh, and we all expect our order in a day or two! Another example is that virtually every family in the country has three and four or more cars on the road today. Let's face it, most of our highways were never expected to carry the traffic loads of today.

I could be wrong, but I really think one of the many reasons some roads get deferred today is due to the fact that most newer cars today ride so incredibly smooth and quiet that the roads don't seem so bad Could be a different story if the folks in charge of highway maintenance would be required to test the roads in a motorhome

I sincerely hate driving on poor highways, but I try to understand a little bit as to how they get that way and the enormous financial challenge to maintain them. It costs a lot of money to provide both the labor and material to repair State and Federal Highways.

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
We've traveled everywhere but the NE and Louisiana wins hands down as the worst roads we've been on.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Let's face it folks. Our roads are going to hades and not being maintained. But our road taxes and tolls keep rising. Where is the money going?
Probably to light rail, bike paths, rapid transit and other such non road projects.
Allegro Red 34QFA 2014
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Worst Roads By Far

Vermont roads can be a real challenge.Probably do to all the freezing and thawing,salt and snow plows and as well as poor economy,the state government does not have the funds to keep up with repairs.Many of the secondary highways once you leave the interstates are really rough.
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Try the road from Belize border near San Ignacio to Tulum. About 30 km was really bad. The coast road (85) from San Juan de Villa Rico to Tampico is really awful. Mexico builds good road but they have no weight limits on trucks and coastal roads get hit badly by hurricanes. We will never go that way again. South of Vera Cruz it is the toll road 85D and is rather good

But as far as US goes, I-10 east of Houston has to have been the worst we have ever drive on Interstates. Elaine thought the wheels/bearings were gone until we go on I10 in LA, which wasn't bad. In fact, we thought I10 in LA was excellent. LA does have some great state parks.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
Originally Posted by nena View Post
Vermont roads can be a real challenge.Probably do to all the freezing and thawing,salt and snow plows and as well as poor economy,the state government does not have the funds to keep up with repairs.Many of the secondary highways once you leave the interstates are really rough.
I agree in fact some 2 lane highways turn to a dirt road and than back to a paved road later. With my GPS I can limit what type of road surface I will drive on with the RV; so I stated no dirt roads. The GPS routed me 60 miles out of the way in order to stay off of dirt roads. We were staying in Williamstown VT and wanted to go to mid-NY and than on to Niagara NY. Just came back from a three week trip to the east coast.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
The worst roads by far that we have ever encountered were on our trip to Alaska. We really never had any trouble with things moving around driving the highways in the lower 48. But up north, it is completely different. When the roads are bad, they are really bad. We had things falling out/moving around that had never shifted before. Those with a rear kitchen who travel up that way will not be happy.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
While not an entire state, the highways and side roads around NYC are the worst east of the Mississippi.
Rich & Michelle
2014 Journey 42E
Chip & Dale, our kitties
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #24
Anywhere east of Richmond VA
2011 Georgetown 337DS
Toad: 2003 Dodge Dakota w Blue Ox
lancslad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #25
Western Washington state highways and US 101.

Swales, bumps and lumpy "patches" that will send you flying.

I have never seen worse asphalt patching than the sloppy "dump and roll" method WDOT uses.
henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #26
My vote goes to LA for worst interstate highways.
Kitty & Rolf - Successfully unemployed since 2012
2000 MADP - 2012 Grand Cherokee
crolfmilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #27
Then you've never been to Oklahoma. We drive through Louisiana a few times a yr. the roads are good. Actually LA is one of our favorite places to visit.
Beachnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #28
You haven't been on a bad road until you've driven the Top of the World Highway. It goes from Dawson City Yukon to Tok Alaska. It's 100 miles of the worst road known to man. It's a combination of partially paved road with sections of gravel and some sand. On the Canadian side there's road equipment stationed along side the road so it can be used to grade the road after every rain storm.

We happened to travel on it just after a storm, but before it was regraded. The top speed on the 100 mile trek was 15 miles an hour. Some spots were so bad 5 mph was too fast. It took 11 hours to make the 100 miles. Even at that speed everything in the coach was rattling and moving in the cabinets. Needless to say once was enough.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote