Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM   #1

3 weekends ago I saw "bad manners" in action at the US Army Corps of Engineers Old Highway 25 Park just North of the dam on Greers Ferry Lake in central Arkansas.

I was "on deck" at the sewer dump station and watching as the camper in front of me eased onto the dump pad. He got out of his truck and without hooking up a hose, he hit the dump! I couldn't believe it! I yelled to him that Walmart carried hoses for dumping and he just shrugged.

After I finished dumping my tanks (had to hose the pad down first) I pulled forward to let the guy behind me have access while I double checked my trailer for the road. Just as I was rounding the corner, I hear the same "kersplatt" as before. You guessed it, the guy behind me was doing the same thing!

Moral to the story... Watch where you step when at the dump station. Especially here in Arkansas.

Edmo

28' 2000 Coachman Futura 2790TB Travel Trailer
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4X4, big gas guzzling V-10, auto trans & 4.30 rear gears
Both have been from Alaska to Florida, and points along the way!

2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4X4, big gas guzzling V-10, auto trans & 4.30 rear gears
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM   #2

3 weekends ago I saw "bad manners" in action at the US Army Corps of Engineers Old Highway 25 Park just North of the dam on Greers Ferry Lake in central Arkansas.

I was "on deck" at the sewer dump station and watching as the camper in front of me eased onto the dump pad. He got out of his truck and without hooking up a hose, he hit the dump! I couldn't believe it! I yelled to him that Walmart carried hoses for dumping and he just shrugged.

After I finished dumping my tanks (had to hose the pad down first) I pulled forward to let the guy behind me have access while I double checked my trailer for the road. Just as I was rounding the corner, I hear the same "kersplatt" as before. You guessed it, the guy behind me was doing the same thing!

Moral to the story... Watch where you step when at the dump station. Especially here in Arkansas.

Edmo

28' 2000 Coachman Futura 2790TB Travel Trailer
Both have been from Alaska to Florida, and points along the way!

Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:29 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Yuk!

Richard

<font color=red>Click Here For The 2004 National Rally Sign Up Page</font color>

2002 HitchHiker Discovery towed with a 2002 Ford Powerstroke Diesel F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6 speed Dually.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:27 AM   #4

That is just one of the reasons that private parks are limiting or charging high rates for campers that come in just to dump their tanks. Somebody has to clean up the splatter and in my experience the guy doing the splattering doesn't do a very good job of cleaning up after himself.

Also as a reminder, formaldehyde holding tank products kill the natural bacteria that is needed to break down waste in a treatment system. One of the other big reasons dump stations have been closed or access limited.

Terry
Sallisaw OK KOA
Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I wonder - are these individuals part of the new generation of RVers who may have gone out and purchased their RVs with no camping or previous RVing experience? If so, who has taught them the proper procedure for dumping their tanks? Probably nobody. I'll lay odds the dealer darned sure didn't!

Just thinking about how/why this might happen....

Rusty

----------------------
Tower - 2002 Dodge 3500 Cummins HO/6 speed/4.10LS SLT+ QC LB dually
Towee - 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 36' triple slide 5ver
Travel Companions - Our two Shelties, Brittany and the Bandit!
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally AND at the 2004 iRV2.com National Rally in Boerne, TX
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:50 AM   #6

I don't think it is the just the new RVers that are doing this.

It's call LAZY and the mind set of "It isn't mine -- oh well!"

I don't understand how anyone could be that nasty! It is just to gross to even think about -- didn't they think that it just might get all over their trailer - then who will wash that off? (Maybe they don't)

Maybe if they had to deal with the clean up of the mess a few times it would change their minds about the method of their dumping.

Sorry, this just makes me MAD!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, could be. I guess I was trying to come up with some reason they might be doing it other than being inconsiderate slobs.

Rusty
Old 11-18-2003, 10:25 AM   #8

Rusty,

I hope you did not take my post as if I was MAD at you for your post -- I guess I didn't write what I was thinking -- I am MAD about the way people treat campgrounds/dumpstations.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

A few weeks ago on our way back from Chicago, we stopped at a Indiana Rest Stop on the Turnpike to dump the tanks after a few days stay at my relatives. We pulled in and it really didn't look pretty, both stations where filled to the top of the concrete splash containment area with a disgusting mess. The crazy thing is it looked like not to long before we got there both stations had had people dumping into that flooded mess. On top of that they had turned the rinse water off (due to winter) so who ever used that really had to be a contaminated hazard. Needless to say we bypassed that and I waited a few hours where we found a clean operational dump facility.

One of the items I always hated about dumping was having to handle and store sewer hoses. After a short period of working out the bugs, the RV-Sanicon system I use is awesome, never come in contact with that mess again.

Bill

2003 40' Show Hauler Custom Motorcoach www.showhauler.com
iRV2.Com - Havin' Fun... Makin' Friends...Goin' Places.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TmnsnMD:
I hope you did not take my post as if I was MAD at you for your post -- I guess I didn't write what I was thinking -- I am MAD about the way people treat campgrounds/dumpstations.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, no problem at all. I understood what you meant.

Rusty
Old 11-18-2003, 02:36 PM   #11

We are soooo fortunate to have the local Giant Gas Station providing a "free" dump station behind the station. Really a well kept and state of the art dump station.
Recently I pulled in to dump and there was a rather new DP ahead of me. From where I parked, I couldn't see the person dumping. After about 10 minutes I got out to see why it was taking so long to get dumped. It turns out the gent had broken the whole dump valve off his "black tank" and needless to say, there was a huge mess in the compartment, on the ground below and the gent was also quite a mess. He appologized to me for taking so long, natch I could only give him sympathy. I told him I'd come back later. I returned about an hour later and the place was as spic and span as ever.
Course this is the opposite of the thread and we can all hope that it never happens to us.

hershey
albuquerque, nm
Dutch Star w/Saturn pusher

albuquerque, nm
eghershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #12

After several decades of environmental education, the younger generation has no more respect for our planet than us poor old folks. I don't get it.

Ken Lenger
Dodge 2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB SLT HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD. Jordan Brake Controller, Jacobs E-Brake.
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications, & Other RV Topics RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights, an exercise in reality
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>After a short period of working out the bugs, the RV-Sanicon system I use is awesome, never come in contact with that mess again.

Warpath, what is that system you refer too and where can I learn more about it?

Floyd

Floyd and Karen.
2001 Damon Intruder 349.
W22 Workhorse chassis.
2001 Cavalier toad.

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We're only young once, but with humor, we can be immature forever!"

2001 Chev Cavalier with Blue OX Aventa II
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Floyd -

Here is a link to the product review I did on it. http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?q=...9136096333&p=1

Since I did the initial install, I changed the way I had it setup, basically lowered the pump down on the floor of the storage bin. I also had to drill into the family that only toilet paper gets put down the toilet. The pump got clogged once with a baby wipe which had plastic in it, and the other time a rubber band. After those fun cleanout episodes, it has been perfect and I would never do it any other way. Really slick!

2003 40' Show Hauler Custom Motorcoach www.showhauler.com
iRV2.Com - Havin' Fun... Makin' Friends...Goin' Places.