Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Yellow stone t Ft. Collins

We are currently In West Yellowstone and have plans (no reservations as yet) to go to the Tetons. After that we need to make our way to Ft. Collins. Will have about 4 or 5 days to do the trip. Having never been in Wyoming, we are a little confused as to which route/s to take. Any suggestions on fun scenic drives or attraction etc would be greatly appreciated.

Graham and Lu.

Graham and Lu
Retired Educators :
2014 Allegro Breeze, Jeep Wrangler,
Anewstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
First, if you dry camp in Teton Nat'l Park you don't need reservations for Colter Bay or Gros Ventre (our favorite) campgrounds. They both have water fill and dump stations, have 300 sites and rarely fill, especially at this time of year. If you need hookups I'd recommend Colter Bay RV which is right next door to Colter Bay campground.

To get to Fort Collins just take 287 out of the Tetons to I-80 at Rawlins. Then I-80 to Laramie and pick up 287 again. It's a nice drive.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Appalachian Campers
When you come out of the Tetons on South entrance/exit, drive down to US 26 and turn left ( I think that is/was Moran Junction several years ago) Stay on 26 down to Dubois along the river (beautiful ride) We love this little town for some reason. Nice friendly people. They used to have a cattle drive in the spring to move cattle to the high pastures - drove them right through town. Interesting ! We found a small herd in the middle of highway above Dubois once. Found out this was open range land later on.
When you get to Riverton (another neat western town) you will turn right and then left I believe. Two turns anyway. You are looking for 13??? 135 or 136 maybe.
Not real pretty through here, but we don't care for dry, desert looking areas. You will make a turn on to 287 (most boring part of the trip IMHO) and want to end up in Rawlins and I-80 to Laramie.
Here you can run parallel with I-25 and come in the western side of Ft Collins, but I have not run that route. I might just run I-80 to I-25 south and come in from the east. I guess it comes down to where you are heading in Ft Collins.
The entire route is without high mountain passes and the kind of things that give people pause. It runs between 5 thousand and 6 thousand plus in elevation. Roads were pretty good when we have been through there several years ago. Hardly any traffic. I cannot recall a lot of RV parks or campgrounds but there may have been more built since we were. Dubois, Riverton and Rawlins are like to have several places that would serve your needs. I vote Dubois and Riverton if you can find a place. Good luck, I wish we were heading that way with you
doc is offline   Reply With Quote