Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yellowstone

Looking for suggestions on CG just outside of Yellowstone on the Wyoming side. My rig is 45' and I'm thinking of using my toad to make daily visits into the park.
Probably visit the park either before or after the FMCA rally in Gillette, WY in June 2013. After the rally would be better for me but I would imagine that it would be peak season then. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

It's been three years since I've been there, outside of the NPS campground's in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP I would think you have to go to Jackson, WY for a private campground. We stayed at a KOA there that was decent, not sure if it's still there as I think I heard it was sold. It's a pretty long hike from Jackson to most of Yellowstone.
I would suggest staying in West Yellowstone MT. We camped at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Cabins , beautiful RV park, close to most of the area's in the park.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

It bothers me that the web site makes no mention of costs ??
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc
It bothers me that the web site makes no mention of costs ??
This is what I saw
Camping Rates
Premium P/T Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV and free WiFi) † $64.95
Pull-Through Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV) (WiFi $$) $60.95
Premium B/I Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV and free WiFi) † $60.95
Back-In Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV) (WiFi $$) $54.95
Tent (Up to 4 people) (WiFi $$) $39.95
Non-Guest Dump Fee $6.00
Extra Person RV Site (Beyond 6 people) $5.00
Extra Person Tent Site (Beyond 4 people)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have stayed there and the costs at the time were reasonable, around $50 per night. It is a very nice park and very close to the park.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Well worth the money, you'll save the difference in fuel costs then if you stayed in Jackson and commuted to the park everyday.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
Well worth the money, you'll save the difference in fuel costs then if you stayed in Jackson and commuted to the park everyday.
The biggest issue is also the biggest draw as well. Lots of territory to travel and see and limited ways to do it. If staying in the park isn't an option for whatever reason - seeing the southern portion of the Grand Loop by toad is doable from Colter Bay in the Tetons. But hitting the north end of the Grand Loop and back to Colter Bay is a stretch. And you still haven't hit the Upper Loop.

If you're trying to avoid traversing the park - it's a long 125 mike haul from West Yellowstone to Jackson and another hour or so up to Colter Bay (or Flag Ranch). Not sure if Colter Bay etc have length issue or not. It is however an easier drive in terms of roads and the inevitable stops you'll encounter - elk or moose etc in road or near it creates a traffic jam. Nice if you're in the toad - but not so much if your intention is to use the park road as a shortcut. Lol.

If you're going from Gillette toward West Y you could stop up at the north gate and knock off the upper loop and I believe you would use the Chief Joseph hwy? To get there - which is good traveling and scenery and finish the 450 mile trip on to WY.

You really need to break out the maps - GPS and pencil and paper. You'll be glad you did. I don't recommend trying to wing it on this one. Plan and book ahead and early.

Final thought - My memory may be wrong - but entering the east gate from Cody is doable and going south to the Tetons from there would be easier than south from the west gate - West Y if you were inclined to traverse but not stay I'm the park. At 45' + I think traversing is the less desirable option.

Have a great trip!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

This is what I saw
Camping Rates
Premium P/T Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV and free WiFi) † $64.95
Pull-Through Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV) (WiFi $$) $60.95
Premium B/I Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV and free WiFi) † $60.95
Back-In Site (Includes electric, water, sewer, cable TV) (WiFi $$) $54.95
Tent (Up to 4 people) (WiFi $$) $39.95
Non-Guest Dump Fee $6.00
Extra Person RV Site (Beyond 6 people) $5.00
Extra Person Tent Site (Beyond 4 people)
Thank you, I. Oils not find that on their site but I'm searching on an iPhone screen.😵
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #9

We will be hosting at a steelhead hatchery near Twin Falls Idaho for the summer and are going to try and get 3-4 days off in a row and go to Yellowstone. Since I think we will be close enough in TF to drive there in just a few hours and find it a PIA to break down the coach and reset it up we Re considering staying in a motel/cabin etc. our time in Idaho will be from first of May to end of Sept. First question---when would be the best time to go and Second question----where would you recommend staying? All information would be appreciated!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

In the winter time I would be staying in the Montana area to the west of the park with both the usual winter and new road repair closures affecting the east side of the park. Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is excellent and close to the west entrance and the Old Faithful area where the roads are kept open and the bison tend to frequent in the winter months.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try Yellowstone Vally Inn and RV resort. Nice place, on a bluff over the Sheshone River, halfway between Cody and the park. Yellowstone Valley Inn, Lodging & RV Park near Cody, Wyoming & Yellowstone Park
Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at Cody all three trips out west. Ponderosa campground is is a nice place with a friendly family running it. Cody has several places to eat and The wild bill cody attraction is great. We went in september each time and zipped right through the park. I understand the traffic jambs (bear and wolf sightings) Can be really bad in summer. I would try to go early and be there before school lets out if possible. But even if you have to go in season, it is worth it.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just remembered. Ponderosa just added several acres to their park. They are all long pull through's for large rigs.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
We did an 8 day stay last year(late June/early July) stayed in the town of
West Yellowstone, MT, at Grizzly RV park. The place is a solid 10, perfect for big rigs, and it's only a quarter mile from the west entrance to the park,
and the CG is two blocks from town (easy walk).
It is an ideal location ! Not to miss: Old Faithful, Upper & Lower falls, numerous
active thermal sites along the drive south to Old Faithful. Stay as long as you can, there is much to see and do.