Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Yellowstone

any one been to yellowstone? looking to go there with a 34 ft MH pulling a trailer with my Goldwing motorcycle. Any advice on the rv parks would be great. I have heard the sount entrance was nice.
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest that you might stay in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway Park. It is new and clean. They have a special deal for 2 nights and passes to the canyon on board the old locomotive. They put on a Western show and it is great fun, especially if you have any youngsters. The Railside RV Ranch is another decent choice. If you take your Goldwing to the Canyon, it will be a nice ride.
Joe

JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
paz

You don't say when you are going, but it may be a little late to get reservation at the campgrounds in Yellowstone for this summer. Sites in the park are tight, but the locations in the park are convenient.

We stayed in Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, MT. It's a short distance outside the west entrance to the park. It will be a nice ride in every day along the Madison River. Grizzly has full hookups, and 34' would be no problem. West Yellowstone is kind of a nice little tourist town, too.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #4

I'd also recommend the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. We stayed there 2 summers ago and found it very nice and in a great location.
rick_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #5

this would be for next Spring.
Jim
Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I 2nd Grizzly rv Park. I just left there yesterday. One of the nicest rv parks around and the management people are great.
I saw my 1st wild wolf 3 days ago.
Its just a few blocks from the West entrance.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were there in Sept, '06. We stayed in Fishing Bridge, the only CG within the park that has hookups. It is a "parking lot" but frankly no tighter than some KOAs that we've been in. Someone told me that Yellowstone has two seasons - July and winter so we wanted hookups for the furnace. We wanted to central location that Fishing Bridge gave us to do day trips to the various features of Yellowstone. That part worked out great. Cutting travel time to the various points allows you more time to explore.

I assume that you will use your motorcycle to explore. There were many places (example: Virgin cascades) where taking a 34' MH would definitely be a challenge.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We just left there. Wouldn't stay any place other than Fishing Bridge RV Park (inside the park). The park is a very big place! The primary loop or circle is just under 100 miles around. Then the "lead in" roads from the entrance gates are 20-30 miles each. Does not sound like much but at max speed limit of 45mph and an average speed of 15 - 20 mph it takes a long time to get anywhere, especially from outside the park. And this is "off season"! Can't imagine how bad it could/will get in June, July and August. The slow average speed is caused by following a bison as it ambles down the road at 2 mph or better yet the idiot that stops the car in the middle of the road, gets out and takes pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind the 30 cars behind and 40 oncoming cars.
The park is no more crowded than lots of other places we've been and parking is paved and relatively level. Water pressure varies during the day so pressure regulator is required. A shower is $3.25 so might want to make sure yours is in good order.
Let me know if there are other questions,
Harold Miller
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Isn't Fishing Bridge limited as to what length motor home you can park? I've been told that a 40 Footer is stretching it. I'll be there (Yellowstone) in about 3 weeks and since my coach is 45 Ft we have decided to stay at Grizzley RV. HAve I been miss informed?
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call Fishing Brigde direct you'd be amazed what they can do for you. The problem will be to get the reservation people to forward your call. I had them do it about a year ago and was happy that the people at Fishing Bridge were so easy to talk to and made my change in reservations easy.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, Fishing Bridge and Grizzly are the RV parks you need to stay. You will not have any problems with your size coach in Grizzly, not sure about Fishing Bridge. Fishing Bridge is inside of Yellowstone and makes the east attractions more accessible. Grizzly is located outside West Yellowstone and makes the West attractions easier to attend. You need almost a month to visit everything Yellowstone has to offer. We stayed 3 weeks and we will be back for a month. Consider it 8 wonders of the world, as Yellowstone is a figure eight with magnificant features. It takes about 30-50 minutes to travel to various locations within the park. If you like horses go to the Teddy Roosevelt section for rides. It’s a once in a lifetime place that will make you keep coming back for more. Have a great time!
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
I suggest that you might stay in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway Park.
That'd be quite a commute to Yellowstone, wouldn't you say?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #13

Bakers hole (forest service campground) north of the town of yellowstone just past the airport; only a couple of miles out of town. cost is much less that the privet campgrounds in town. this is a real nice campground and sites are large enough for any size camper.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
Bakers hole (forest service campground) north of the town of yellowstone just past the airport; only a couple of miles out of town. cost is much less that the privet campgrounds in town. this is a real nice campground and sites are large enough for any size camper.
type in bakers hole campground in your search engine; been there, much better than the privet campgrounds in the area.