Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
jor

Yellowstone

We are planning a trip to Jackson and on to The Yellowstone next month. I have read many of the posts and think West Yellowstone may be the best for us with a 40ft MH. How is the highway 89/287 from Jackson to West Yellowstone for a 40ft MH towing? Are there steep climbs, narrow roads? I am a flat lander with a fear of heights and looking for advise on the highway as well as campgrounds. Thanks for your thoughts.......JOR2
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #2

From Jackson, we entered Yellowstone via the south entrance then on to West Yellowstone. No issues. Most of the narrow roads with drops are on the north loop. Be sure to pay a visit to the "Gun Barrel" restaurant in Jackson.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have made this exact trip about 10 times in the past few years, last few in a 40 footer.
Road is good and the area is simply breathtaking.
Do you have reservations at all?
Here is my suggestion based on our experience. Do not stay at The Virginian RV in Jackson, its overpriced and crowded. If you are up for dry camping (no hook-ups) I would stay at Colter Bay Campground in Grand Teton National Park. It has loops for riggs your size and also allows generator use 8 to 8. Campground is well laid out and you cannot beat the area.
If you look at your map and that is too far out for you I would consider Gros Ventre Campground just north of Jackson about 12 miles or so. Its another NP campground We have stayed there in a 40 footer, its a little tight but worked.
For a few nights and if you want hook ups there is a RV park at Colter Bay we have not stayed there, however its gotten great reviews. Would highly suggest making reservations or seeing if they have any spots.
great site is www.campgroundreviews.com
click on state then area, great site, gives info and also websites and you can find phone numbers there also.
Now as far as West yellowstone, would highly recommend Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. Stayed there last Oct for 10 days and high recommend calling for reservations. They have back in, pulls thrus etc...very nice campground and people.
Cannot beat the location, walking distance to town and shops and so close to the West entrance to Yellowstone itself. We have made that our "base" and traveled into the park daily from there.
Another great travel resource is a book called Mountain Passes of the West, gives all kinds of info on mountain roads and grades, so if you have concerns or will be traveling in the west a lot gives you good info for planning what road you want to take or not.
Campground at Colter Bay is first come first serve, but if you get there early in the day, like before 1pm or so you should get a good spot. They have picnic tables and fire rings, also a dump station.
Colter Bay itself is intersting, little store, gift shop and two fairly good places to eat.
We are going back (again) for three weeks this September. Love the area and cannot get enough of both parks.
Hope this info helps...
One more thing. If you travel with a laptop and are looking for wifi hook up, also if you are in a tow vehicle, visit Jackson Lake Lodge. Visit it for more reasons that a wifi hook up the view alone at the top of the stair case will cause to you stop in your tracks! however take your laptop upstairs, there are plug ins so your battery does not go low and free wifi. Gives you a chance to catch up with things should you need to. I generally sit on the hearth by the big fireplace.
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #4

If you don't like heights and narrow roads I would suggest you take another route into Yellowstone NP. The East entrance into Yellowstone is narrow and very curvy most of the time( after entering the park), the up-grade is moderate IMO. It is not hard to drive with your MH, but your fears may get in the way. Like FDChief said, the South entrance is the easiest route, West next easiest.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We try to get to Yellowstone every year. The roads are all RV do-able and fairly easy, but with lots of ups & downs & turns. I would avoid the Roosevelt to Canyon road in an RV, but all the others are fine. Just go a speed comfortable for you and use the many pull-offs when you back up traffic. We always stay at Grizzly and always make reservations.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check RVCruzers recommendations.

Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and the Beartooths
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Check RVCruzers recommendations.

Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and the Beartooths

THANK YOU so much for sharing. This site is amazing and so filled with great information. The pictures alone are worth the visit....
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
jor

Thanks to all, we are looking forward to this........JOR2
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

O wow, what a coincidence. I just came back from there. The roads have just been resurfaced in the Tetons and are great. I stayed at the Colter Bay RV park, its the one with full hook ups. I recommend that you drive straight there and then use your toad for exploring. You must go to Jackson. The town is great. Bring lots of mosquito repellant for the parks. If when you call reservations and they say they are full, Keep trying. When your at the junction in Jackson lake, say hello to Grizzly #399 for me. She and her cubs are always posing for pictures along the road there. My stay at Fishing Bridge in Yellow stone was forgetable, no electric and lots of mud. The only good thing I can say about the Gros Ventre campground is that you don't need reservations, the sites are large, open with few hooksups or amenities. I stayed out the north entrance of yellowstone at the Yellowstone Edge campground. Its only down side is that it is 32 miles outside Yellowstone but I drove 3500 miles to get there so a few more was not a big deal for me. Well maintained, sites by the river and very friendly staff and fellow campers. Go to Livingstone and check out the rodeo or go to Bozman and check out a very pretty town.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #10

When inJackson be sure to see the "Bar J Chuckwagon dinner/show! We see then 3 or 4 times every summer, already have been there 3 times this summer and we will be going again 8/20.

I have NO financial or other interest in the Bar J, only that they are the BEST dinner/show in town. Their fiddle player has won the Idaho State Fiddle championship 6 times and the US Open Fiddle championship twice!

Bar J Chuckwagon
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #11

You will not have any issues with the roads. Stayed at Flagg Ranch June 2010. It is a great location between Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Wooded sites and a lot of wildlife in the area. Only have 20A service and the bathrooms are ok. We are headed back next summer and will stay at Grizzly outside the West entrance. Stopped by there on our way home and it is a very nice park. We stayed 10 days and saw close to half the park. Looking forward to our next visit. The kids loved it. Bring a pop up with mosquito netting so you can eat outside under it.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
jor

Thanks again ,,,,,, JOR2