Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun
We are planning the same trip and was looking to leave in late July. Now we will postpone for about one + months.
Maybe we'll run into each other. We'll be the obvious newbies with the black Winnie. 😃

ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
While a few of the campgrounds close in Sept, the good news is quite a few of the stores put items on clearance to clean out before winter!!

If the weather is warm, like it was last September, you might want to check out the swimming hole on the Firehole Canyon Drive. (one way south, from Madison Junction) The water is warmed from runoff from geyser basins upstream so it is very pleasant! If you prefer hot springs, the only legitimate hot spring you can get in is along the road between Mammoth and Gardiner right at the 45th Parallel. Parking on the east side of the road.

Neither the swimming hole or 'Boiling River' are on official maps, but they allow access when rivers are not high. I've spent 20 years taking groups of teachers through the area.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
We are planning the same trip and was looking to leave in late July. Now we will postpone for about one + months.
End of August, early September for us also.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
You've gotten lots of good info here.

We were in YS last year (2011) from 9/9 through 9/14 at Fishing Bridge CG. Had reservations for 2 more nights, but since this was our 3rd trip to YS we left early to be able to spend 3 nights in the Tetons. Also, we knew this wouldn't be our last trip out that way and next time we'll spend even more time in some places.

The closest thing to snow we had was a brief (2 or so minutes) of driving at high elevations on the east side when the windshield on the Jeep looked like someone had thrown a couple of cups of shaved ice onto it. While we were there, the daytime temps were still running above normal. The elk hadn't come down for the rut, yet. This September, who knows? But barring some freak storm you're not likely to get enough snow to cause you a problem.

Have a wonderful trip. We envy you lucky ones who are going to one of our favorite parts of the country. Wish we were going back again this year. Maybe next Spring. That's the only season when we haven't been to YS. Want to see all the babies.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridafran View Post

Wish we were going back again this year. Maybe next Spring. That's the only season when we haven't been to YS. Want to see all the babies.
Which Spring? Ours in Cincinnati came early, in early March. In YNP the road between Tower Falls and Canyon is still closed due to snow until May 25. I've been on mountain tops in July and August where the snow is just receding and 'spring' is just arriving for the uncovered plants and small animals!

Over the years, I've picked up some real 'pearls of wisdom' at pull outs and overlooks.

(overheard) "Son, see that deer? it will grow into an elk then become a moose."

A number of times over the years I've had people tell me, "What a waste, spending all that money to reseed after the fires of '88." Sometimes I've explained that the seratinous cones on the lodgepole pines hold seeds for years and only release them in fire, so they self seed. Other times I just agree with them and walk on.

Sometimes its fun to point out that people are standing on one of the largest volcanoes on earth and it erupts about every 600,000 years. After they absorb that fact, if they don't ask the question, I add, "Yep, last eruption was 640,000 years ago." Then walk off.

Another stunt my groups have done through the years is on the boardwalks, stop and point at the geyser/hot spring run off. When someone asks what you're pointing at, you tell them, "Geyser fish that live in boiling water. -- pre-cooked!"

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
A few yrs ago we spent mid Sept to late Oct touring Yellowstone, the Tetons & Jackson Hole. Also the Nat'l Parks Utah, & New Mexico. Its the best travel time for weather cold at night beautiful during the days, the very high elevations may have snow. Just pay attention to the weather and head back on a southern route.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Yellowstone is amazing, any time of year. Go, then go back again. It never gets boring, and few will see it all.

Campgrounds can be tough. In the park, most won't handle big rigs, or pack you in @sshole to elbow. There are some nice places in and outside of west yellowstone.

Jackson is tough. kinda a howty towty town, few campgrounds. Still a very nice destination, but they prefer those who stay in hotels. last time i was there, I stayed in utah.
Which was vary nice BTW,, other than having to climb teton pass to get anywhere. Teton pass was fun in the jeep, a real beetch when I did it in a class A gasser...

There arre also a lot of very nice places to see and visit on the utah side of yellowstone (or was it Idaho???)