Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Yellowstone after Labor Day

This is our first summer with our motorhome and we are planning to spend August with our kids on their farm in the Grass Valley area in Northern California. After labor day we are thinking of going over and spending a week in Yellowstone and then working our way home to the California desert thru Jacksonhole and Zion. I'm sure some of you have been in that part of the world during that time of year, is it a good idea? Are we likely to hit snow or bad road conditions? We're new to this whole thing and don't want to get ourselves in any trouble because of what we don't know we don't know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Southern Utah has amazing places to see. I was told that late Aug and early sept was a great time to be there to see the leaves changing. I was there in late April - early May and the weather was marvelous. Days in the low 70’s nights in the 40's at Bryce Canyon, elevation 7777 feet. There were remnants of snow higher up, but only in shaded areas.

Check this out:

Utah's Scenic Byway 12 - Your Guide to Attractions and Activities on Utah's Scenic Byways
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I've been in snow in Yellowstone in July and August, but I wouldn't defer a trip because it MIGHT happen. The snow melts quickly until later in the season. September is a beautiful time to visit, the summer crowds are gone, the aspen trees are turning golden. Grand Tetons and Jackson are also open for business and not to be missed. From Jackson, you can go west up Teton Pass to Idaho Falls and south on I-15 or the more scenic and interesting route south from Jackson on US 189/191. On US 191 you'll go to Rock Springs and Flaming Gorge, a beautiful place. Continue south on US 191 to Vernal, perhaps a side trip to Dinosaur Nat. Mon. South on US 191 to Arches NP, Moab, and Canyons NP. Enjoy!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

Sounds cool. Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I have been to Yellowstone in Sept. After the kids are back in school, things quiet down there a fair bit but by that time of year there is also a real hint of that which is to come weather wise. One night, dropped down to 18 deg. F. Pretty cold in a tent which is what I was doing at the time. Nice sunny days but the wind had a real chill bite to it as well. It is gorgeous without a doubt. But wouldn't say I would be all that confident about the kindness of the weather after about the 3rd week in Sept.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Sept. is the perfect month for Yellowstone, Grand Teton and further south into the Utah parks. Have done it often. Have a great trip!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole are perfect in September. Zero crowds, warm sunny days, cool nights (maybe frosty mornings), and awesome autumn scenery. In my opinion the best time of year to go there. Haven't been to Utah yet, so can't comment on that.

Go for it. You'll love it.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
This is our first summer with our motorhome and we are planning to spend August with our kids on their farm in the Grass Valley area in Northern California. After labor day we are thinking of going over and spending a week in Yellowstone and then working our way home to the California desert thru Jacksonhole and Zion. I'm sure some of you have been in that part of the world during that time of year, is it a good idea? Are we likely to hit snow or bad road conditions? We're new to this whole thing and don't want to get ourselves in any trouble because of what we don't know we don't know.
I was born in Grass Valley in the 50s. Left before I was 1 year old. Which has nothing to do with anything, but anyway.....

Yellowstone is around 7500 feet, and after Memorial day, some of the services shut down..... at least they did in 1974 when I was there last. Because it is colder, it is somewhat harder to see the hot pools for their colors, like emerald pool. But, balance this with the lack of crowds and you'll still have a better time after they are gone... We drove in with a steady parade driving the other way.

Make sure you do the Tetons too.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #9

I would not say zero crowds, but Sept is a good time to go. We went in on the 3rd of Sept and had snow several times. Some of the CG's start closing, but Mammoth CG is open year round. It filled just about every night we were there (6 nights). But at around 10 am there was a good selection of sites as most people zip in and out for a night. We also stayed in Bridge Bay CG and closed it on the Sunday after Labor Day. Every thing was frozen solid the last morning. Still lots of traffic and backups, but the cold weather and snow has the big animals coming down from the higher elevations.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #10

Here's a link as to the campground closing times:

Campgrounds in Yellowstone - Yellowstone National Park
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We are working in YNP again this year and expect it to be as wonderful as ever--and crowded. But September s a good month for a visit. Some tourist activities will end after Labor Day. Make sure you allot enuf time to see everything. My first visit to Yellowstone in 2005 a ranger told me to allot four days, one for each quadrant--I stayed two weeks and came back a couple of years later to work and live in the park. It can get into your blood and you WILL come back. enjoy.
ginnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

Thanks for all of your help. I think I'm hearing that September is a great time to visit, but be aware that the weather has been poor in the past and may not cooperate so watch the weather reports. Not all the parks amenities are available after labor day, but neither are the crowds, pick your priority. I assume road conditions follow the the weather. We're going to plan on going and stay vigilant about the weather and have a contingency plan if needed. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #13

As others have said, certain things close after labor day, just need to make sure what you need is open. Don't forget to drive over the Beartooth, take the toyota for that, it's a drive you will remember. The Tetons and YNP are absolutely stunning at the time of the year, just be prepared for some cold nites. If you do head down into Utah, I'd make Monument Valley a stop, kind of out of your way, but worth the trip around the rim.
Good Luck
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

We are planning the same trip and was looking to leave in late July. Now we will postpone for about one + months.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote