Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yellowstone & Black Hills

We will be leaving in our 30' Southwinds Storm Saturday (July 6) from NW Arkansas to Yellowstone. With an early start, we plan to spend the first night around Kearney, NE (565 mi), then to Casper, WY (500 mi) the second day. If all goes well, we should arrive at Fishing Bridge Campground early afternoon Monday. After 4 nights in Yellowstone, we will head back to Cody on Friday for 2 nights. After seeing the sights of Cody on Friday, Saturday we will take the Jeep north on 120, to 296 and hit Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, then loop back to Cody via 308 to 120.
Sunday we will continue east to Devil's Tower National Monument. I'm not sure if we will stay the night in that area or continue on to the Black Hills. We will stay 3 or 4 nights in Deadwood, Hill City or Custer...not sure yet. Then back home with one night probably around Souix Falls, SD, then the next night around Omaha for a visit with my son and family. Home the next day unless Harrah's KC takes control of the vehicle and makes us stop for one night there.
Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gray View Post
We will be leaving in our 30' Southwinds Storm Saturday (July 6) from NW Arkansas to Yellowstone. With an early start, we plan to spend the first night around Kearney, NE (565 mi), then to Casper, WY (500 mi) the second day. If all goes well, we should arrive at Fishing Bridge Campground early afternoon Monday. After 4 nights in Yellowstone, we will head back to Cody on Friday for 2 nights. After seeing the sights of Cody on Friday, Saturday we will take the Jeep north on 120, to 296 and hit Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, then loop back to Cody via 308 to 120.
Sunday we will continue east to Devil's Tower National Monument. I'm not sure if we will stay the night in that area or continue on to the Black Hills. We will stay 3 or 4 nights in Deadwood, Hill City or Custer...not sure yet. Then back home with one night probably around Souix Falls, SD, then the next night around Omaha for a visit with my son and family. Home the next day unless Harrah's KC takes control of the vehicle and makes us stop for one night there.
Any comments or advice will be appreciated.
sound like a nice trip , have fun

Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Itinerary looks great, the only thing I see missing is Wall Drug

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #4

In my humble opinion you have an exhausting schedule. You will love the trip and say next time we will have more time and not be so kamikaze.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the comments. We did the Badlands and Black Hills on motorcycle a few years back. We stopped at Wall Drug for the 5 cent coffee on that trip. And as Anotherone said, that would have add to the Kamakazieness of the trip. We had originally planned this as a 18-21 day trip, but obligations on either end of the trip forced us to reduce it to 15 or 16 days.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

The Black Hills has enough to do and see for 2 weeks, and then some.

http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/m/

Needles drive
Custer park drive
Jewel Cave and Wind Cave nat'l Monuments.
Homestake Gold Mine
Crazy Horse
Rushmore Tramway
Several National forests
25 museums
4 prehistoric sites
Deadwood
Sturgis
Spearfish

On and on.

Cant smell the roses if ya dont see them!

Yellowstone has more than 2 weeks worth.

I would pick one and drink it in, include some in-camp time to cool my jets, and save a bunch of fuel $.

The Black Hills would be 30+ hours behind the wheel R/T. Nuff, I think.

Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks CampDaven for your suggestions. We have been to Yellowstone and Blackhills area before by motorcycle. You're right...it's great. We have been to Needles Highway, Custer SP, Crazy Horse, Rushmore, prehistoric sites, Deadwood and Sturgis. And we will do those again in the towed Jeep.
We like to "go". We can see and do a lot in a day. That's just the way we enjoy traveling. On that motorcycle trip that I mentioned we went 5600 miles in 13 days...and loved it. We will cool our jets when we get home...and start planning our next kamakazi road trip.
Thanks to all for the comments.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #8

We are leaving in two days on a 4 month trip with bike and car in tow with 3 other couples. I got antsy just reading your post. Lets go
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anotherone....I wish we were towing our 1800 Goldwing....man, Beartooth Pass, Needles Highway...wow! But I just spent $3000 getting my Jeep all rigged up to tow, also replaced the hardtop with soft for easier removal (my wife asked how much did this "downgrade" cost us?) so I gotta take it. Happy Roads to you.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
See the Black Hills thread. Agree that there is plenty to do and see here for at least a week. With so much rain this Spring, the Black Hills are lush and green with a lot of wildlife out there.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #11

speaking of jeeps ; I had my two teenage boys out west 30yrs ago in silverton co. We rented a jeep from the campground and went out the back straight up into the national forest ; what a hoot. Saw ghost towns and really had a great time. At least I did.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

We head out at the end of August to Custer then Seattle then Yellowstone. At 5600 miles, and 5 weeks long, this will be the longest trip we've taken. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about Yellowstone since we'll be in Fishing Bridge right at the end of the season.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blondie, I bet the end of August & Sept would be a great time to be in the northwest. We took a 13 day motorcycle trip a few years ago, went through Cheyenne, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Big Sky Montana, through Idaho on Hwy 12 (we saw a sign that said "very crooked and steep next 77 miles...and it was, but mostly we coasted at about 60 mph), stayed 2 nights at Hood River (rode to Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier on the resting day), then to Portland, Eureka CA, Redding CA, Reno NV, Lake Tahoe, Salt Lake City, Denver, and home. It was a whirlwind trip...5600 miles. We didn't see much, but really we were just out for a bike ride, so it was great fun.
We look forward to this "slower-paced" trip. The Jeep is hooked up...lights, brakes all in working order. We have been planning for a couple months, and loading/prepping all week. Leaving here at 5:30 am tomorrow.
I live in a lake community...lots of people here for the holiday. When the fireworks stop, I will glad to get in bed.
If you don't hear from me for a while...all is good.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trip Update

Stayed first night in Kearney, as planned. 2nd day we drove a little farther than planned, stayed in Thermopolis, WY. Cannot recommend any of the campgrounds yet. Made it to Yellowstone on Monday. Fishing Bridge Campground is very close to a General Store, gasoline, RV/Auto Repair, Visitor Center, and close to the best spot to watch for all kinds of wildlife. We leave early every day exploring and watching for wildlife, and return to the RV near or at dark. We have done the north and south loop. We saw countless Bison, Elk, 7 moose, 5 wolves, and 2 Grizzlies. All but the moose were within 10 miles of Fishing Bridge CG. We will stay here again.

We are in Cody, WY now at the Ponderosa CG. It is tight, but looks like it is one of the best 2 CGs here. The other was full, this one almost full.

Tomorrow we will drive Chief Joseph Highway, and Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge MT, then back. A lady at the visitor center said my route should take about 5 hours, but we have all day. Then tomorrow night, we'll see the sites of downtown Cody...an old west shootout across from the hotel/restaurant Buffalo Bill built and named for his daughter, Irma.