Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
You are going to have a great adventure. I stayed at Fishing Bridge in YNP because it was centrally located and had full hookups. We also stayed at the Colter Bay RV Park in the Tetons. We stayed a week and then came back for another week because it was incredibly beautiful. Get on line and check out Cody Wy. The drive from Yellowstone is great. The museum is a 2 day afair. There was a Plains Indian Pow Wow going on when we were there that must be seen. We stayed there a week as well. The Beartooth and Chief Joseph Scenic highways are excellent side trips in the toad.

Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
Whatever time you think that you will need to see Y’stone NP you better double it!

Remember that Y’stone Park itself is about 45 miles E/W and 65 miles N/S and the Grand Loop (figure 8) road is about 170 miles around. With a 45mph speed (radar controlled) limit and all the thermal attractions and the altitude (Canyon Area is 7918 ft, Old Faithful is 7365 ft and Mammoth Area is ONLY? 6239 ft) it will take a full day for each loop, when walking take it easy as it can be very exhausting, then you will only see the highlights. If your luck is like mine I guarantee that Old Faithful will have gone off just minutes before you arrived and will have to wait about another hour and 10-15 minutes for it to go off again kill time by walking around the upper geyser basin. When you are at Old faithful be sure to go into the Old Faithful Inn and look up when inside. When in the visitor center or the Inn they will have a sign displaying approximately when the next eruption will occur (+ or – about 10/15 minutes)

We have lived about 110 miles from the West Y’stone entrance for 50 years and go there a couple of times each summer and I still haven’t seen everything yet.

2005 Dodge, 2500, auto, 2wd. Pac brake PRXB. CB, Max Brake Brake Controller, Rhino Lining, Aero 60 gal. replacement tank.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plenty of great advice here and you'll love your time in the park. Take your time and explore there is plenty to see. While I in the area be sure to see the Tetons. From the East Cody is an great place with the museum there. That alone could take 2 days to see. On the West side of the park I recommend Grizzly RV Park. The city of West Yellowstone has plenty to see as well. Have a great time and as mentioned allow yourself PLENTY of time to see it. Be safe!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
Well, I booked a week at FB in YNP and it was so easy I took the booking process for Grand Teton for granted (I got real busy).

Now the website says Colter Bay is full in August. Any ideas where else to stay at GTNP?

Ultimately, we want to end up at Mt Olympic National Park in mid Sept then spend two months on the coastal route down to California via WA and OR. Maybe we should just head West instead of deal with the summer Nat'l park crowd?
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #19
As long as you got Fishing Bridge reservations I wouldn't give up the trip because of not getting Colter Bay reservations. One thing, did you try for online or by phone? Try calling direct 800-628-9988 sometimes it works.

If you really can't get a site for August, keep your Fishing Bridge and then just drive to Colter Bay early morning and see if there are any cancellations. If that doesn't work, right next store is Colter Bay campground - dry camping, water fill and a dump station. Spend as long as you can there even if you have no power. You could last at least 2 nights if you conserve. Keep trying the RV park for cancellations while you're there. Then when you want to recharge the batteries, drive down to Gros Ventre campground and charge while you're driving. You could then stay another 2 nights.

Both campgrounds have 300 sites and don't take reservations. They rarely fill. Don't give up the trip!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
You can get snow in YNP anytime believe me. Been thru the park over 30 times and have seen snow all 12 months. My only advice is to stay out of the Bighorn Mountains with your MH and stay in Grizzly RV Park in West. I live half way between YNP and Glacier. Go to Cody, WY to see the Buffalo Bill Museum and to the Tetons.
Hey Bob... wondering why you say to stay out of the Big Horns... we went through there in July with no problem. We were pulling the Powered Parachute trailer with us... we wanted to get to Devil's tower as Hubby wanted to fly around that and view it from above or close to the top.
I suppose if there were snow then, it would have been trickier... and there could be some in September. But there might not be! Would hate for them to miss the enjoyable scenery. We got some good pics of the highland meadow wildflowers...

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote