Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Yellowstone campground guidance

We're starting a 6-9 month RV trip in mid-June. I'm only now getting to drawing up the routing plans (I've been busy) and making reservations at the more popular spots.

I'm trying to determine the better campgrounds to book. I got on the Yellowstone website but I'm not sure which campground to book out of. the ones they list, Madison, Bridge Bay, Fishing Bridge, Canyon, and Grant. Actually, I know very little about Yellowstone, where to start, what to expect, and where to finish.

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. I have already started reading up on YS here by doing a search of the threads. But I'm still looking for specific info so that I can go ahead and book a campground now.

How long would y'all recommend we stay for? 4 days? 7 days? 2 weeks?

Also, we have a 33' FW. There are plenty of 30' RV sites available at various campgrounds in the National park but the 40' sites are all pretty booked until August. I can always adjust our arrival dates and see other part of the country until then. But I wanted advice from the group about whether that length limitation is indeed a hard limit. I've been told, as well as read here and on other forums, that the limit is only a hard rule if your RV sticks out of the spot.

Anyway, I'd prefer to book a 40' spot (it's the same price) but there aren't many dates available in July.

Thanks.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you committed to staying inside the park? Do you want full hookups? I know that Fishing bridge has hookups and I think there is another one on the edge of the park that does as well. If you're interested in staying outside, Grizzly RV Park is nice and gets good reviews (it's in W. Yellowstone just outside the Park's entrance.) Also, this place RV Park Sites, Grand Canyon | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona is in Williams and offers train rides into the park several times a day. Have a great stay and try to see the little town of Jackson Hole while you're there...eat at the Gun Barrell Restaurant (best place in town).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It's been a few years but we stayed at Fishing Bridge CG. Full hook-ups. Close to the store and, best of all, step out your door in the morning and be right in the middle of things.

At that time the maximum length of rig was 35 feet. I think that's been increased but check the website for details.

We stayed a week and could have used a few extra days. Yellowstone has a thermal area, a beautiful meadow area, and a rocky falls area. Each is beautiful and have their own attractions.

I would love to make that trip again. Enjoy!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Are you committed to staying inside the park? Do you want full hookups? I know that Fishing bridge has hookups and I think there is another one on the edge of the park that does as well. If you're interested in staying outside, Grizzly RV Park is nice and gets good reviews (it's in W. Yellowstone just outside the Park's entrance.) Also, this place RV Park Sites, Grand Canyon | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona is in Williams and offers train rides into the park several times a day. Have a great stay and try to see the little town of Jackson Hole while you're there...eat at the Gun Barrell Restaurant (best place in town).
Your 25$ permit to get in the park (and Teton) is good for seven days on whatever vehicle you bring in. you are not committed permit wise to stay in park.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told by my customers to stay away from the summer months. Traffic can be terrible. I took their advice and did my three trips in September. The weather is great and traffic is light.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

Yellowstone in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I was told by my customers to stay away from the summer months. Traffic can be terrible. I took their advice and did my three trips in September. The weather is great and traffic is light.
Did you get snow in September? I thought it would be too cold to visit yellowstone that late in year
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
Did you get snow in September? I thought it would be too cold to visit yellowstone that late in year
You can get snow in YNP anytime believe me. Been thru the park over 30 times and have seen snow all 12 months. My only advice is to stay out of the Bighorn Mountains with your MH and stay in Grizzly RV Park in West. I live half way between YNP and Glacier. Go to Cody, WY to see the Buffalo Bill Museum and to the Tetons.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Staying in CODY while traveling to Yellowstone was definitely a highlight of the whole trip! Great fun and great food.

We stayed in Fishing Bridge for 10 days.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #9

Our 40' motorhome and Jeep fit in Mammoth (no reservations - get there early morning), Madison and Bridge Bay. I'd recommend at least 5 days.

Also, don't forget that Grand Teton Nat'l Park is just south of Yellowstone and they are both completely different in looks. Definitely allow at least 3-4 days in the Tetons. If you enjoy hiking, add another day or two. We stay at either Gros Ventre or Colter Bay campgrounds, in the park. They each have 300 non-reservable sites. No electric or water hookups but they have a dump station and water fill. There's also Colter Bay RV park right next to Colter Bay campground. It has full hookups.

We don't reserve sites and always get a site - even in campgrounds that accept reservations. We stay outside the parks nearby and pull into the campgrounds early morning as folks are leaving. For the reservable campgrounds there are always cancellations to be had.

We definitely prefer to stay IN the national parks for the best overall experience and shorter driving times for siteseeing.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #10

Wow. All great advice, folks. Thanks. That really helped a lot. I love this site.

I watched a few youtube videos but you know how that goes. Very general and not all that much info in terms of my specific questions.

Any advice on whether to see Grand Canyon first THEN YNP? We live in Guam, have a home in Texas and are sort of stumped how to begin the planning from a time-management/ efficient standpoint.

Originally we were going to YNP first because we are visiting friends on Lake Michigan... we were just going to take the FW up that way from Houston and then head due West. But upon further review, I think we'll fly in to ORD, rent a car and drive to see our friends, then begin our first RV adventure from Houston by heading Northwest. So the question is... do we go straight North and hit Badlands NP, then YNP and Grand Tetons? Only then to head South and start the Grand Canyon phase of our journey? Or do we hit GC on the way up North? Decisions, decisions...

Ultimately, we want to arrive in the Seattle area and take two-months following Hwy 101 and US 1 South on the Washington/ Oregon Coast and into California, staying just ahead of the cold weather. Ideally we'll end out trip somewhere in Southern California where we'll store our FW and Truck for a few months while we spend the winter on Guam.

Then next Spring, we'll start up again.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #11

Yellowstone got some snow today...I bet you will have a very enjoyable trip. Sound well planned for the most part....good luck!
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #12

Yes, you can get some snow in June also. This is at KOA Yellowstone West. Very nice facility. We stayed there for 10 days, then went south to Jackson Hole for another week. Late May/early June of 2012 worked well for us.

Most National Parks are crazy in July and August. It's a good time to explore less popular places.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
We went just after labor day in 2007, 2008, and 2009. The weather was perfect. As someone else said, it can get cold almost anytime, but they have snow removal equipment and we were told that the roads are are almost never closed in early September. If the do close, it is usually only for a day, until they get them cleared again.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Our 40' motorhome and Jeep fit in Mammoth (no reservations - get there early morning), Madison and Bridge Bay. I'd recommend at least 5 days.

Also, don't forget that Grand Teton Nat'l Park is just south of Yellowstone and they are both completely different in looks. Definitely allow at least 3-4 days in the Tetons. If you enjoy hiking, add another day or two. We stay at either Gros Ventre or Colter Bay campgrounds, in the park. They each have 300 non-reservable sites. No electric or water hookups but they have a dump station and water fill. There's also Colter Bay RV park right next to Colter Bay campground. It has full hookups.

We don't reserve sites and always get a site - even in campgrounds that accept reservations. We stay outside the parks nearby and pull into the campgrounds early morning as folks are leaving. For the reservable campgrounds there are always cancellations to be had.

We definitely prefer to stay IN the national parks for the best overall experience and shorter driving times for siteseeing.

Have a great trip!
Hey that's all great advice, especially about Grand Teton.

I booked 7 days at Fishing Bridge in YNP. It doesn't look all that great online (youtube) but oh-well. We're there to see the park, right? Not the RV lot.

I'll look into booking Grand Teton next. THANKS!

Tags
campground