Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2006, 04:10 AM   #1

We are wanting to visit Yellowstone in the summer of 2007 (next year) I have tried sifting through the search and not finding what I'm looking for in a campground. What we are wanting is full hook up (read small tanks and two kids). We are looking for something like Rafter J Bar (out of Hill City, SD) but in the Yellowstone area. Basically nice roomy full hook up sites with a great view so that we get feeling of being off in the wilderness. I don't really prefer the sardine effect that I see in so many pictures of campgrounds. Cost isn't really an issue because most campgrounds in my experience typcally run in the 30 buck range - far cheaper than a hotel...
Argve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2006, 04:10 AM   #2

We are wanting to visit Yellowstone in the summer of 2007 (next year) I have tried sifting through the search and not finding what I'm looking for in a campground. What we are wanting is full hook up (read small tanks and two kids). We are looking for something like Rafter J Bar (out of Hill City, SD) but in the Yellowstone area. Basically nice roomy full hook up sites with a great view so that we get feeling of being off in the wilderness. I don't really prefer the sardine effect that I see in so many pictures of campgrounds. Cost isn't really an issue because most campgrounds in my experience typcally run in the 30 buck range - far cheaper than a hotel...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You did not state if you wish to be in the park or near the park. If in the park--go to www.nps.gov and book a site. You may not get all you want, but you nave few choices. Yellowstone is high use area. We for-go the hook-ups and try and get in Norris basin.(great location to major features, camping feel, but-small sites & NO hook-ups)

If near the park--there are some very nice campgrounds in West Yellowstone. Grizzly is very upscale, but not real 'camping' feel.(right in town)

Yellowstone is very much worth the trouble. No place like it anywhere else. Enjoy the planning and the adventure.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #4

Argve,
We just left(3 weeks ago) a nice Park in Island Park,ID. Red Rock RV Resort is a quiet small park about 25-30 minutes from Yellowstone. Their web: www.8004redrock.com.
They have full hookups, WIFI, and a great staff. We'll go back next year....DAVE
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The only place inside Yellowstone with full hookups is Fishing Bridge. Fishing Bridge has 3 things going for it - location, location, location. Yellowstone is huge and you will spend lots oftime shuttling from one end of the park to the other. Fishing Bridge lets you be in the middle of the action.

However, it is a sardine can. They do pack them in tight. It's a wooded area so you are surrounded by trees but there is no room for picnic tables or anything like that. Then again, you're in Yellowstone. Why would you want to sit around in a campsite when you can be off exploring it's many wonders? In that case, Fishing Brisdge is a viable option. However, It's really tough to get a big rig in there. Our 33' class A fit but it was tight for width with opposing slides. Our 40' DP was a real shoehorn fit and I won't do that again. Instead, we stay at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. It's a great RV park but it isn't in a woodsy setting. still it's very well kept and grassy with blacktop roads. It's also right outaside the west gate to the park so it's a quick hop into the park with the toad. Like all parks in the area, they charge more than places farther away. You'll find Grizzly in the $40s, not $30s.

If you really just want to sit in a campground and enjoy it's view you'll have to go farther away. My personal preference is to stay closer and enjoy Yellowstone rather than the RV park, which we are only at late in the evening.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #6

We liked Grizzly also. You can always ask to be along the back fence, you will be next to the forest. There are some nice hiking trails from the campground into the forest. You can still walk into town or take the your truck.
Please make a reservation because they told me that summer is booked up normally.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #7

We have visited Yellowstone twice in the past 8 years and we prefer and enjoy coming in from the south, via Jackson, WY and the Grand Tetons. You'll find a couple of full-service RV parks just south of the entrance to Yellowstone. The disadvantage is that you'll have to drive into Yellowstone each day to see what you want to see. The Tetons are spectacular, so you'll enjoy the area.

Try Colter Bay Village RV Park, 800-628-9988 or
Flagg Ranch Village Campground is just inside the park on Hwy 89. 307-543-2861.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My vote is for Fishing Bridge for the same three reasons as stated before "LOCATION, LOCATION and LOCATION!!!!!!!

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Magic:
Argve,
We just left(3 weeks ago) a nice Park in Island Park,ID. Red Rock RV Resort is a quiet small park about 25-30 minutes from Yellowstone. Their web: www.8004redrock.com.
They have full hookups, WIFI, and a great staff. We'll go back next year....DAVE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We wre also at Red Rock about 5 weeks ago. A GREAT park--small, with excellent facilities, and the most friendly staff of our whole trip.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #10

Red Rock looks like what we are looking for. After viewing the video they have on thier site it has just what I'm looking for - off the beaten path - the sites don't look like they are jammed together as I have experienced in other places and have the toys of today (full hook up and such).
Don't get me wrong I don't want to hang out in the campground all day but at night I want to sit up and enjoy the other half of vacation - camping... Best vacation I have take to date has been our Black Hills trip where we would go out and see things during the day but not too much - do one or two things a day and then relax at night around the fire - I get enough of rush rush rush at home/work...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #11

We also are planning a trip for early July 2007. I would like to be in the park, but sounds like most are parking-lot style and only one has services. If I'm going to be in a parking-lot then might as well go for West Yellowstone and have services. Everyone mentions Grizzly RV park... how about the KOA that is there too?
Pete.

2005 Shadow Cruiser T-160
pmountain is offline   Reply With Quote