Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to andrewsilver Send a message via MSN to andrewsilver Send a message via Yahoo to andrewsilver Send a message via Skype™ to andrewsilver
Yellowstone Canyon Campground Size Limit Question

Looking for advice. The site we need to book at Canyon Campground at Yellowstone National Park says the limit is 30 feet.

Our motorhome is exactly 31 feet including the bumper which extends out 6 inches from the back wall of the motorhome.

The site states there is room for one RV 30' total length plus one or two tents, see actual description below.

If I book the site, will I be denied to stay there when I arrive? Thank you.

To be clear, this is what the booking site says:
Capacity for Canyon Campground Large Tent and/or RV 30-foot Total or Less Site:
RV/Vehicle combination, 30' total length or less and either
One large tent, 12'x12' or smaller or two small tents, each 8'x8' or smaller
This is a single-width site. The total extended length of all vehicles and towed/towing equipment cannot exceed 30 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 2.18.46 PM.png
Views:	170
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	213465  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #2

That picnic table looks immovable. I'd call the campground and get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to andrewsilver Send a message via MSN to andrewsilver Send a message via Yahoo to andrewsilver Send a message via Skype™ to andrewsilver
That photo is a stock image they use for many sites, so it's not the actual site. I will give them a call, but I would like to get advice from others who have experience with this. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Canyons is a very "tight" / "tree" filled campground. I drove thru the whole campground and there were like only 5-10 sites my 26' RV trailer could fit on. They do have some ( just a few) double wide 30' site. If you can get one of those you could park your toad on the other side. There were a few pull thru's too. But then again, some you couldn't be able to put out all your slides. I have a picture or two.

I'll post below a few pictures of our 2017 drive thru at the Canyons. We stayed a week each at Bridge Bay and Madison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8810.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	213468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8814.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	213469  

Name:	IMG_8817.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	213470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8819.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	213471  

Name:	IMG_8824.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	213472  
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the photos, those are great. I should have mentioned that we are not towing any vehicle - so our total length is just the motorhome at 31 feet.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #6

If you know the site number you can view the actual site here:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...wstone-canyon/

One foot wouldn't make a difference especially if you can back up beyond that railroad tie at the rear of the site for your overhang. That would give you possibly 2+ extra feet. However, you need to see a photo to see if there would be a tree in the way. They won't measure you when you come in. You'll either fit or you'll be out of a site, if not. No refund.

The photo you show probably isn't the actual site (unless it was site-specific and I don't see a notation on the photo of a site number) and regardless, that picnic table is to the side of the site, not the rear. Also, when they mention tent sites, the tents aren't on the parking space, they would be off to the side so there would be no concern there.

Another option would be Madison campground for bigger sites.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsilver View Post
Thanks for the photos, those are great. I should have mentioned that we are not towing any vehicle - so our total length is just the motorhome at 31 feet.

For Bridge Bay and Madison campgrounds there was a 40' length limit that included your truck. So my 26' RV trailer plus my 20' truck equals 46'. I just told them I was towing my 26' tt with a 13' "JEEP". Got my drift. So I reserved a 40' site.

The reason I went ahead and made the reservation was on the www.campgroundviews.com site they have 360 VR views of the whole campground. Meaning someone on a bike rides around the whole campground taking a 360 video. I noticed many 30' & 40' 5er's camping there. But you still can't reserve saying you are towing your 35' 5er with your 20' F-350. So when reserving they must be have done what I did to keep me under 40'.

On that website there is a 18 minute video with the 360 camera of the whole campground. That should help ya somewhat. Out of the 3 mentioned here. Bridge Bay, Madison and Canyons, Madison was by far the most accommodating to larger rigs. Here is a link to the Canyons pictures and 360 video on Campgroundviews.com

**** Once on the 360 video, change the quality setting from the 480 (frames per sec.) to maybe 1440s or higher to get a higher quality HD video.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

I called the park and we should be fine. Appreciate the responses and information, thank you.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

We stayed at Canyon campground in our 28 ft class A last summer (29'5" bumper to bumper) and we fit in the site ok, maybe 2 feet to spare, though it was tight getting in and out, backing and cutting to just get into the space, narrow tree lined camping loop, saplings right at the back edge of the pavement. At one point as we were leaving pulling out on the camping loop we had way under a foot of clearance between the corner of a parked RV in a pull out site on the drivers side and a tree on the passenger side, while going around a bend and over a small rise. The shed where I keep my coach has 11 inches of clearance on each side of the mirrors, and this was closer than that.

Ike

p.s. one bit of advice bring some orange marker cones in case you get put into one of the smaller pull out sites to mark the corners of your RV, particularly if you have slides (we don't).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, yellowstone