Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yellowstone in early June

We are taking our grand daughter to Yellowstone around June 1st and need some references to good RV parking with convenient access to the parks sights. We have a 39ft. Discovery and CRV toad. It is our grand daughters first choice on where to go so we want it to be a great trip. Alan

Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I envy you, I've spent more than 22 summers in and around Yellowstone and I still try to go whenever I can. The only full RV park in Yellowstone is Fishing Bridge. Yellowstone Cabins, Lodging, Inn, Camping, RV The other campgrounds don't offer any hook ups, but usually do have dump stations. West Yellowstone has a number of campgrounds, as do Gardiner, Jackson, Cook City, and Cody. Fishing bridge fills up, you might get reservations for June 1, but you better hurry. I've stayed in many of the other campgrounds, (Canyon, Norris, etc.) they have no reservations. I've stayed in Gros Ventre Campground just north of Jackson in Grand Teton NP and then driven into Yellowstone in the early am to secure a site in YNP. The early AM drive is always flush with BHM sightings. (Big Hairy Mammals) Enjoy!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. Walk to town and closest (and very nice) big rig CG to Yellowstone NP - right at the west entrance. It's a big park, be prepared for some driving wherever you stay.

Search these forums for "yellowstone" and you'll get lots of advice.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
If you're going to Yellowstone, we would highly recommend that you include Grand Teton National Park, if only for a couple nights. It's altogether different - more like you'd picture the Alps. You would just head out of Yellowstone via the south entrance and you're there! We would recommend Colter Bay RV park if you want hookups or right next door is Colter Bay campground - 300 sites - no hookups.

For Yellowstone, we always stay IN the park itself. It saves a lot of driving and you have easy access to nightly ranger campfire talks or ranger programs during the day. If you want hookups, the only one inside the park is Fishing Bridge. Many people complain that the sites are too close together but really, you're out touring all day, come home for dinner, perhaps attend the campfire program, and you will be so exhausted you'll hit the sack. You won't even be in the campground that much. It's a central convenient campground. If you can do without hookups, Madison is a very nice one.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems like in park sites for 39 ft. Are limited. Fishing Bridge is booked for all the big spaces so in the park may not be possible. I can boondocks as long as we can use our generator for some period each day. Any recommendations?
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
They are limited but available fcfs often it's best to stay outside park first night even on a pull off and go to your pre-chosen camground EARLY, see YNP website to decide services generator run allowed some don't and what sites you will fit in ect a note on that, often you can fit in sites that are not listed for your size as the back end will go over log stop to your back tires note some hosts are more understanding of this but if you can fit and are not on the grass they will let you stay. Concesionare run are much stricter and reservation recomended. It's very important to pre select spots you can get into then be the first one to claim the spot after it opens up with many staking the spot while the current campers are still on site just by visiting with them and getting okay for when they leave.
I am a firm believer in staying in the park center as it is so huge to drive into each day I really can not imagine and in the park is where it is all happening.
Paul, Roxanne, Charlie, and Fritz the Siamese Cat.

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. Walk to town and closest (and very nice) big rig CG to Yellowstone NP - right at the west entrance. It's a big park, be prepared for some driving wherever you stay.

Search these forums for "yellowstone" and you'll get lots of advice.
I'll second a motion on this park. I don't know which way your coming from but if you are on the West side of the park this is a great place to stay. Staff will bend over backward for you. The town is great and you can either walk from the park or just take a short jaunt with the toad and the park entry is about a mile if that. It doesn't have a pool but I'm sure with the time you'll spend exploring the park there won't be much time for that anyway. Hope you have fun on wherever you decide to stay and we hope to be back in that area probably next year. We've visited many a time as well and there is just so much to see. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Try to walk the walkway by the Yellowstone river. East side and watch the fish go upstream. That is one of my favorite memories! Of course Old Faithful, the Buffalo, the canyon, and the west side! Also have ice cream while you r there! It is good!

Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote