Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yellowstone in June

We have decided to Lan our biggest trip yet!
Yellowstone in June!!
We are looking at taking about 3 days to get there, West Yellowstone KOA, hanging out at the park for 4 days, and then heading back through Sturgis.
We are planning 4 days for the trip back.
I am sure many of you have been, so any helpful hints on what "not to miss would be great!
It will be our biggest trip to date with about 3400 miles.
Should be lots of fun. We are starting out trip in west Tennessee.

BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #2

Should be a great trip; you'll see a lot. But of course be prepared for cold; a couple of years ago we were there the first of June and it snowed lightly; nothing bad but not Tennessee June weather And factor in that you will tire quicker; you'll be over a mile in the sky. You'll also tend to dehydrate quicker

You'll have plenty to see... just remember (and there will be lots of signs) that buffalo aren't cows. Give them a LOT of respect.

Steve

Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We are going to Yellowstone this year too but in July and are staying at the same place. We will be picking our DD & DGS in Bozeman airport as they are flying in from North Augusta SC to join us. Really looking forward to it. We are going to be stopping for all the earthcaches (virtual geocaches) as we can and will go to the Lewis Clark Caverns on the way back home. One of the grandsons is really into caves.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

We'll be in the Grand Tetons in early June and then moving on the Yellowstone and then up to Glacier. I'm going prepared for everything from freezing temps to warm weather. Everything I've read says that June and September are good months for beating the heavy crowds, but it's possible to have some snow and some roads may not be open if there are any late/early snows.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
when you get to the park enter early in the morning before daylight you will see more of the wild life at daybreak plus the you can be done with a lot of the sites before the 10:00 crowd shows up. when we were there we exited the park about 1:00 then went to some of the surrounding sites (outside of the park) after lunch. enjoy
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great Feedback

Great feedback so far, I did not even think about entering the park early to see more wildlife, Great on the cold items as well.....
Thanks for all so far!!!
Keep it coming!!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

We have stayed at that KOA. It is a bit rustic but a good place. June is early in the season so it shouldn't be too crowded but could be cool at night with possible snow. It's a great place. Have fun.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If you haven't picked a route to Sturgis yet, you might enjoy a stop over at Sibley Lake. It's beautiful campground in the Big Horn mountains just West of Sheridan, WY on hwy 14. Devils Tower KOA was a nice stop over also. We camped there one night with Devils Tower for our view. If you go into the Black Hills, SD Sheridan Lake is beautiful and close to Hill City, SD. Very rustic town with1880 train you can take a ride on. We hit these stops and more June 2014 and loved it.
Happy Trails!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #9

We did the park a couple years ago... It's AWESOME !??!

While I was there for 3-4 days too.. I really can't wait to get back and spend a week or two.. but with young kids, a job and a mortgage.. that's all the time I could afford..

Anyway... We broke things down and just drove the entire "grand" loop..

• Day 1 - Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic Spring & Norris Geyser Basin
  • Day 2 - Mammoth Hot Springs & Roosevelt Lodge
  • Day 3 - Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
  • Day 4 - Fishing Bridge
Planning is very general for us.. We picked the area and then followed our interest.. When the kids started getting restless, we moved onto the next area.. There is PLENTY to do and see while driving the loop..

Finally.. understand you will get nowhere fast while in Yellowstone.. a single moose, bear, bison and/or Elk sighting will cause MAJOR traffic delays...

Also, as a suggestion.. get the little one involved in the JR Ranger program.. It was a nice focus point for my kids as we explored the different area's...

Good luck and enjoy the ride !!!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV park question for those who have been. We are torn between the KOA and Grizzly RV park at the west entrance.
Anybody know anything about either park that you could share would be great!!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

We liked the KOA as stated earlier. We have not visited Grizzly, so I can't compare.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like we are going All KOA this trip.
Should be fun as we have enjoyed the KOA's that we have stayed in so far.
Still have a few more things to install....
- new Koni shocks
- safe-t-plus steering control

I hope to get this done next week and then the we should be ready.....
- of course I am always waiting for Murphy to show up .... LOL.....
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #13

We did that trip from South FLA to Yellowstone in June and it will remain one of the best trips in my life. My first impression of your plans are that you are being very aggressive with your driving plans. You will find the spring winds in Texas, Colorado, and Wyoming will really slow you down. There are thousands of wind turbines out west for very good reason. It took me 8 days of white knuckle driving to get to Yellowstone. You will also be driving across Tornado country. You must pay attention to the weather and develop alternate routes. Sitting in a drivers seat for extended periods is not good for your health, (DVT). My other impression is that when you leave you will be planning your next trip back because you will not be seeing the Tetons nor much of Montana. Cody Wyoming should also be on your bucket list. I wish I could be going with you but I would only slow you down. I don't drive faster than 60 mph and never more that 8 hours in the seat with rest stops every 2 hours. Dr.'s orders. I spent 2 months in that area and still did not see all I wanted. Have fun.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're also heading out to Yellowstone in June (the 23rd) and are staying at the West Yellowstone KOA. We stayed there in 1990 in a Kamping Kabin and we enjoyed the campground. My daughter was just 3 at the time and doesn't remember Yellowstone. So we are going back 25 years later.

We chose June so that we can avoid the peak season's crowds. We don't mind a little cool weather at night (good excuse for a campfire) and we'll be prepared in case of snow.

Devil's Tower is a must-see and you may want to stop by the Little Bighorn Battlefield while en route to Sturgis.

For us, this will also be a KOA vacation as we'll be overnighting one night at the Beaver, Utah KOA. All of our reservations (including the tour of Yellowstone) are already made and paid for.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote