Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #1

Yellowstone in September

Has anyone stayed in Yellowstone in September? And can anyone tell me about Fishing Bridge Campground? Any concerns I should worry about?

Tommy

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
September is a great month for Yellowstone. The elk and bison are all over the place. Fishing Bridge appears too cramped for us; we like Grizzly in W Yellowstone, MT.

Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone the last week of Sept. 2012. It was a great weather, low traffic time to visit Yellowstone. Weather was still good, no delays coming and going, animals were active, and SWMBO liked the fact that the stores in West Yellowstone all had "end of season" sales. It did get a little chilly at night, and snow was forecast for the following week.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Check the Yellowstone website. As I recall they start shutting down campgrounds in mid Sep or early October. That is my favorite time of year to see the Rockies.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Spent several weeks in the Yellowstone/Tetons area two different times in the fall, and talking about doing it again. We mostly do boon-docking/dry camping but did spend a week at fishing bridge with my brother. My rig is 33', and it was very cramped, brothers rig a little longer and took longer to get into the space. 40' must have had a really tough time. And high priced (for me, anyway). Reservations way in advance, too!

Nothing like being chased out of the Tetons by the first snow of the season while watching the moose from your RV, or walking around pretty much among them! In the Tetons, we stay at the National Park's Gros Ventre Campground near Jackson, WY.

Both areas are great and we spend two to three weeks at each. And plan for lots of miles on the Toad! Have a good camera and lots of memory cards, or a way to up load them to a hard drive!

Enjoy,
H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

Other posters have said it, the weather starts cooling off but it's a great time because it's not so crowded. The biggest concern about Fishing Bridge is having to back in to those skinny sites. Since you want to go in Sept, that should be a lot easier. Check the dates for FB, I think it may close Sept 15
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Any suggestions for RV campgrounds that will accommodate my 40 ft coach with my toad? And I have two dogs.

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 08-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Grizzly in West Yellowstone can accommodate your 40 footer with ease. No problem with the dogs, depending upon the breed. We stayed there for 10 days in June and had a great time.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

Here's a site for Fishing Bridge. It closes Sept 21:

Fishing Bridge RV Campground Information, Map, Pictures and Video - Yellowstone National Park ~ Yellowstone Up Close and Personal

September is a wonderful month for Yellowstone. We've been there quite a few times with our 40' motorhome. We've stayed at Mammoth (doesn't accept reservations) or just outside the park in W. Yellowstone at Baker's Hole national forest campground. All, including Fishing Bridge, are o.k. for a 40' MH.

We've never had it snow and even if it did it would melt in a couple hours. Sept. is too early for a serious snow. The days for us were warm in the 70's and cool at night - down to 40's. The colors are awesome, the crowds down and the elk are bugeling. Perfect.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fishing Bridge accepts up to 40ft. All sites are back in, have enough room for picnic table on one side and park car on other. They do maximize the space but don't feel any more crowded than many other parks that I have been in. Great location inside park. There are nicer parks in W Yellowstone MT but the location of Fishing Bridge makes it my choice.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #11

We're at Grizzly in W. Yellowstone MT now. It's an exceptionally nice park that will accommodate you and your dogs nicely - long pull-thrus. We drove through Fishing Bridge today to take a look. It's a tight fit, but you'll fit. We saw two or three 40' MHs. We also drove around today in W. Yellowstone looking at CGs. Wagon Wheel and Rustic Wagon look really nice also. Buffalo Crossing is doable, but not quite as nice as the above 3 (IMHO). I'd stay away from Pony Express. W. Yellowstone is a cute town within walking distance of the CGs mentioned and at the west entrance to the park.

Have a great trip.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input. What about the Grand Tetons area or Jackson Hole, any campground suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #13

Colter Bay RV for full hookup. You'd also fit in Colter Bay campground (right next door) and Gros Ventre campground, both are dry camping but with dump stations. We like Gros Ventre.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stayed at Virginian RV park when we visited. Nice park, in town.