Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Yellowstone July 21-25

Hello, I am a new member, and my family and I are planning our first big RV trip in less than 2 weeks. My Wife, our 2 children, My father, And Myself will be traveling from eastern Iowa to Yellowstone and back in My 1996 Jayco Eagle 28.5' , and pulling my Dads Buick Century. The motorhome is older, but is very well maintained. The original owner was a friend of the family, and I am the second owner, and it now has about 12800 miles on it. When we bought it in 2010, the generator had 4.8 hours on it. We go to Yellowstone every 4th summer, but have always traveled by car before. We will be traveling west through South Dakota on I-90, and will be seeing the sights in the Black Hills, and Rapid city area. Then we will continue West on 90 Through Wyoming to HWY 16, through tensleep canyon to Cody. Once we enter Yellowstone we will be staying at the fishing bridge RV park as full hookups were needed to convince the wife to take the RV on this trip. I have read mixed reviews about this CG, so if anyone has stayed there I would like to know what you thought, I understand it will be packed, and very crowded this time of year. When we leave we will be heading south through Grand Teton National Park to Jackson Hole to spend a day, then continuing south to I-80 for the 2 day trip back home. We have taken this same route before, But as I said never in an RV, and I have never driven the RV in mountains before, but having taken this route before I am fairly confident I will have no trouble. Any comments on anything I posted are welcome, and appreciated.

LWC-1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have stayed at Fishing Bridge a couple times. It is compact spacing but I don't think overly so. Nice staff and general store and gas right outside on main road. Would stay again for sure.

opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
WOW... we did that exact trip last year...

We left from WI and traveled to Custer State Park, stayed at Stockade South for one night and traveled on to Yellowstone via the south entrance. We stayed at Flagg Ranch, which is about a mile south of the south entrance to Yellowstone. They had full hook-up sites, we needed them as well. It too was cramped and crowded.

If you're looking for a nicer place, I've read, via this forum, there are many places outside the park on the west side, but nothing very fancy inside the park.

I've got just a few observations:

1- You mention "When we leave we will be heading south through Grand Teton National Park to Jackson Hole to spend a day"... Just so you know, that is going to be one long day.. I hope you have reservations, or a plan to stay somewhere for the night.

2- While driving through the Tetons, your RV may become "bogged" down and powerless pulling your Dad's car. If this should happen, pull off to the side, shut the engine off and give it about a 10-15 minute rest. Hopefully your barometric pressure sensor will reset and adjust to the thinner air at those elevations. I freaked out as I could only manage 25mph up the mountains with the petal to the metal. We even unhooked the toad thinking it would help, it didn't.

3- Watch the gas you purchase. I have a newer unit (Ford V-10) which may be more susceptible to the 85 octane gas they sell out there. If you can afford, put the higher grade gas in.. you'll be happy for better MPG and power.

Enjoy your trip !!
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Master of Disaster

Actually, quick comment on fuel:

Higher octane means the fuel won't detonate/flash for higher compression. But those additives actually reduce the energy in the fuel -- meaning that if you run 91 octane in a motor designed for 87 you will actually lose about 2% power.

85 octane is sold at altitiude because the air is thinner -- meaning that you end up with less compression. The exception is for turbocharged engines (which will boost the air pressure back up to normal) -- if you have a turbo that calls for 91 octane, for example, you should not drop to 89 octane at altitude, for example.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
We go up every year or every other year. We enjoy the west side in West Yellowstone, MT.

There 2 better parks over on this side which we like better. Our first choice is grizzlyRV park which sets right on the west side of town. Only 5 minutes
from the park entrance. Have a very nice staff and VERY clean park. Nice
office/store with services ie internet and cell phone service. Many other local things in west Yellowstone to see as well.

Our 2nd choice is the KOA in west Yellowstone (KOA WEST Entrance park, there 2 in west Yellowstone not to be confused with mountain side KOA). It is about a 10 minute drive outside of town. A few more minutes out of town on 191. Not good phone or internet service if this is a requirement.

Have fun!!!!
TT: Dutchmen 2014 261BHS
TV: Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, 3.73 6ft bed 2014.
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree that there are nicer parks outside the park, especially in W Yellowstone but for me it is location, location, location. Starting the day inside the park is a huge plus as don't have to deal with entrance traffic.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
We stayed at Fishing Bridge a few years ago and found it to be adequate and made for a great location to tour the park. The store is nearby, the rangers usually have a talk in the evening.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Forest River Owners Club

We've done your trip 5 times so go and have a BLAST!!!!

I do have one question tho.... How old are you tires on your coach??? Check the date on the side walls... You don't want to do this trip with old tires or it could quickly turn a wonderful trip into a nightmare....

Just a suggestion...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Whatever time you think that you will need to see Y’stone NP you better double it!

Remember that Y’stone Park itself is about 50 miles E/W and 70 miles N/S (2.2 Mil Acres) and the Grand Loop (figure 8) road is about 140 miles around. With a 45mph speed limit (radar controlled) and all the thermal attractions, the Bison think that they own the road and will back up traffic for ½ mile or more and the altitude (Canyon Area is 7918 ft, Old Faithful is 7365 ft and Mammoth Area is ONLY? 6239 ft) it will take a full day for each loop, when walking take it easy, carry/drink lots of water as it can be very exhausting, then you will only see the highlights. If your luck is like mine I guarantee that Old Faithful will have gone off just minutes before you arrived and will have to wait about another hour and 10-15 minutes for it to go off again kill time by walking around the upper geyser basin. When you are at Old faithful be sure to go into the Old Faithful Inn and look up when inside. When in the visitor center or the Inn they will have a sign displaying approximately when the next eruption will occur (+ or – about 10/15 minutes)

We have lived about 110 miles from the West Y’stone entrance for 50 years and go there a couple of times each summer and I still haven’t seen everything yet.
2005 Dodge, 2500, auto, 2wd. Pac brake PRXB. CB, Max Brake Brake Controller, Rhino Lining, Aero 60 gal. replacement tank.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Thanks to all who replied, We are leaving in the morning. We are all packed and ready to go. Tires are good, full tank of gas, and the toad is hitched up and ready to go. The kids are almost as excited as I am, LOL.
LWC-1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Fishing Bridge will serve well as a base camp to explore Yellowstone. You are right about location. Enjoy your trip!

Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote