Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Yellowstone (Madison & Bridge Bay)

I rent my two RV's out and one of my renters is wanting to know if you can run a furnace off the RV battery. I'm thinking that is one good way to kill it.
Also anybody here know how strict these parks are in running a generator after hours (8 a.m. to 8 p.m. running times) to stay warm in April. They will be renting my 4000/3500 watt Champion for power because they told me these two parks are dry camping. The web site states: "Per NPS regulations, generators may not exceed 60 decibels." Mine are only 8 decibels over.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a few issues.
First, yes you can run a furnace on battery, we do it all the time. But, you are only likely to get 1 night out of it before having to charge the battery bank.
Second, regardless of how "strict" any park is about quiet time (generators off), quiet time is quiet time, PERIOD. Don't be the type that thinks you are above the rules. No one wants to camp next to someone running a generator when the rules forbid it, PERIOD.
Third, if the rules state 60db max, then 68db is not allowed, PERIOD. 8db is a huge difference, and it's even worse when you are also running it during quiet time. You WILL get ejected from the park, and rightly so.

In fact if you (your renters) were camped next to me running a loud generator during quiet time, I would be the first to contact the ranger.

Everything about your post is trying to justify breaking the law/rules. I don't think you're going to get much support for that here.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I run my furnace every night while boon docking at the races in the early spring. Only run the generator every morning for 4 or 5 hours to recharge the bank (440 amp hours).
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree with 4x4van. Tell your renters your generator doesn't meet park standards. Suggest to them they buy a Honda 2000 (53-59db) or buy one yourself and rent that to them. The batteries should carry them through the 12 hour quiet period. Then they can fire up the acceptable generator at 8 a.m. and run it until 8 p.m.if they need to.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Since you're a 'StarGazer' you know how excess light ruins the night sky (light pollution)..... same goes for excess generator noise (noise pollution). Rules are rules.... for a reason.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

"4x4" you know you didn't have to reply the way you did! You have just answered nicely! Ive never dried camped before and was just trying to get some info.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #7

StarGazer-1, I happened across this thread while looking for something else.

Many Onan RV generators (such as mine) are 68 dBA (dBA is dB sound pressure for normal human hearing), yet meet NPS regulations for 60 dBA. How? My Onan specs are at 10 feet; NPS regulations are at 50 feet. At 50 feet a 68 dBA generator (10 feet) will be about 54 feet). For reference, normal conversation is about 60 dBA at 3 feet (person speaking is 3 feet from you).

Double-check the specs of your Champion...if they are 68 dBA at 10 feet then you can tell future renters they are good-to-go with room to spare (if generator is functioning properly) in NPS parks that allow generators (and don't have some local noise restriction that is less than the normal regulations), but only during allowed hours. Always keep in mind, however, that being within the regulation limits does not make generators pleasant to listen to.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote