RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well called reservation line today and had a wonderful experience. Not only did I get reservations in 3 different campgrounds, the lady helped me decide the best route and lined up CGS based on what I thought we would like to do. We know 4 days is not much, bUT we see this as a scouting trip.

I can't say enough good things about the help I recieved. Actually have a reserved site on labor day!

We are quite happy and looking forward to our first visit to YNP.

Question. Should we take the bikes for sites close to the CG? For example, can we ride our bikes from Canyon CG to the falls? We are strong g riders, but do not like to ride o busy roads.

Thanks for all of the advise.

Dave

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #16

Bikes will be good at Canyon. The south rim drive won't be bad, but even in September, parking along the north rim drive will be tight. bikes will help.also, at most of the camp grounds there, the showers are not very close to the camp sites. Bikes could be useful there too.

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #17

We think bikes in Yellowstone can be dangerous. There is too much traffic and you could have a roadblock of bison or even a grizzly!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Twogypsies has it right! Bikes are a real challenge in Yellowstone. Traffic, sightseers not looking at the road, and no shoulders makes for a bad ride IMHO. It is not a bike friendly destination.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #19

I talked to a ranger about bicycling the park. He mentioned that there could be an issue with the local wildlife. He also mentioned that many bikers are unceremoniously shucked off of their rides each year by the right hand mirrors extended quite a way out from the vehicles of unskilled drivers. As a bicycle rider myself, with a few close calls while in the saddle, that resonated well with me. We travel safely while in YNNP within our Jeep.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #20

Although I wouldn't ride bikes in Yellowstone if you're planning to get into Grand Teton National Park right next door there is excellent bike riding there, including a designated trail off the road.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #21

We have stayed at both Yellowstone Grizzly and Yellowstone Holiday in West Yellowstone, and the town there is very nice. We were there in mid September and had 70s during the the day and low teens overnight. We’ve also been there in August. WAY too crowded. So if you have the option to be there after Labor Day, it would certainly be our choice.

MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, yellowstone