Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Since I'm just a couple of feet long that the OP, so I'm staying away from the Park proper. But would like to know if Anyone have any experience with Henry's Lake in Island Park outside West Yellowstone?
Or any other campground around Island Park.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #16

Yes, we've stayed at Henry's Lake with our 40' motorhome. It was nice but many sunny spots. We really enjoy Baker Hole national forest campground just north of West Yellowstone. We stayed at those when the majority of our siteseeing was going to be outside Yellowstone. We've stayed inside Yellowstone many, many times and is our favorite for touring the park.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I couldn't camp there anyway because I have a hybrid RV. Tents, pop-ups and hybrids are forbidden because of ???? not sure.

Bears, me lad! Bears!

Only hard-sided RVs are permitted.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #18

Henry's Fork Island Park

Nice state park a few miles south of island park.

If you turn left ar Harriman Park all the land to the right is public and you can boondock down by the river for free! Beautiful. And some great fly fishing to boot!!
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The general speed limit in Yellowstone is 45 with a LOT of reduced areas around attractions. We usually tell tourists that it is divided into 1/2 hour segments of driving. I.e. 30 min from Old Faithful to Madison, 30 min from Madison to Norris, 30 min from Norris to Canyon etc. There are about 8 of those sections in the park. Now bison (not buffalo) and bear jams and elk jams will greatly extend those times. Stupid drivers stopped in the road will also prolong the trip as will HEAVY traffic in last of June till first of Sept.
We will be arriving at Old faithful about April 17 (weather permitting) and staying until Nov 7th (stamina permitting) working at the geyser bookstore.
thanx. That is why we booked two different locations in YS. Plan to do some day trips taking our lunch with us. We will be in the Teton area late May, and arrive in YS. Memorial Day Monday for 2 weeks. I figure we will be there just before the heavy summer season.

Quote:
When visiting Yellowstone, if you will plan a morning early excursion, there will be little traffic, lots of critters wandering about, parking at major sites available and great light for photos. Then back to camp for late breakfast/brunch/nap then head out about 5. It is light u til 9 or so, then nice late dinner.

Beautiful Yellowstone at its best. Enjoy!
I like that plan. I like getting up at dawn, grab my coffee mug, take a short walk around the campground, have a light breakfast. Be on the road by 8:30...picnic lunch 11:30 or noon. Return mid afternoon for a nap....I like that. Maybe hit Old Faithful while others are preparing dinner.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #20

help plan to see all national parks with 40' RV

Doing bucket list. Relearning computer, reading, writing so forgive post. Learning this site but is very hard. Want to spend next year or more god willing to see all national parks. Start Maryland. Is there itenary for sale that will give all the camp grounds I should call, about of time to stay at each one, driving route. 40' tiffin 300 cat will be hauling either ford 150 or chevy 1500. It has pulled them already trips to Delware and NC. I can pay for help getting trip planned. Start trip Oct 2017 end whenever. Must see Yosemite gyser, fall, a bear, wolf, buffalo., moose. Sand dunes on other side of rockies would be nice. Grand canyon. Must see Rushmore. Limit 8 hours drive a day, can squeeze extra four if needed. Hubby demands full hookup and whistles, all I need is a tarp, we are opposites. I been driving rig since 2004 and got license last year for RV to proof still able and safe to do it. Relearning two wheel bike but have three wheel avail too. Hubby made clear we cannot go unless places have hookup and all nice. I have tried two years to pull this trip off and get zero nowhere, and my time running out (whose isn't). No experience mountain driving but we can unhook toad and drive each separately through bad places but prefer no/least stress routes. Taking RV instead of plane/train because pet cat and hopefully a balance service dog. Have national park disabled access pass (but not sure if lifetime or yearly have to check). Hubby mid 60's not a hiker. I'm younger and adjusting from being hiker, skier, hang glider type person to a more observant less active (like slamming transmission from sixth to first gear, just got out of reverse - hopefully). If such a planning service can be offered please provide contact. My objective is to get National Park passbook all stamped, but going for the big ones first. This will be a one time trip, so if I need two weeks at a place like Yosemite to see it that is okay. But we do not drive in snow so trip loops need to route with months of travel (e.g, winter months south of snow, summer months north of snow). If answer is get off this post crazy person I'd accept that in nice way too
bucketlist60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketlist60 View Post
If such a planning service can be offered please provide contact. My objective is to get National Park passbook all stamped, but going for the big ones first. This will be a one time trip,
It sounds like this tour would be for you. However, you can easily do it yourself and cheaper if you just follow their itinerary and go it yourself.

Grand Circle – The Great Western National Parks Tour | Adventure Caravans
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #22

Thank You TwoGypsies

I spend several hours at that link. I called and left msg if they would help with rv reservations from home base to their start points and home. This is closest I come to getting out. I thank you for reducing my feeling of alone in huge ocean without a compass.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #23

Yellowstone camp locations and driving routes

I hijacked post by accident so this title and post to put back on target. Camps inside and around Yellowstone, and recommended driving routes and those to avoid were discussed prior to my hijack. Sorry.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Fishing bridge sufficed my family as a base camp for three days while we traveled throughout park. I have a 34' class A and it was tight. Doubt you can put slides completely out.
Not much choice for big rigs inside the park.
From what I've read, if you want a really beautiful campground with room try the West entrance. Don't recall name of that park but it has good reviews.

Have a great time!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post
Fishing bridge sufficed my family as a base camp for three days while we traveled throughout park. I have a 34' class A and it was tight. Doubt you can put slides completely out.
Not much choice for big rigs inside the park.
From what I've read, if you want a really beautiful campground with room try the West entrance. Don't recall name of that park but it has good reviews.

Have a great time!

Grizzly
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Ah yes that's it, Yellowstone Grizzly.
Thanks firedoc!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Twinbridges
Quote:
And just out the South Gate opposite Teton are USFS boondocking sites with great views and some space to hike etc. the park campgrounds are tight and very busy!!
What are some of the names of any USFS locations to the south?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #28

Here is one.

Sheffield Campgound Campground, Moran, Wyoming 83013 - Bridger-Teton NF,
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip