Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #29

But all the land on the left side of the road heading south is USFS so you can boondock there where you can park off the forest service roads.
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We stayed outside the west entrance where there are two KOA's and had a good visit. Travel times are impossible to predict because of Buffalo blockades - fun if you are at the front not so fun if you are just stuck. Our best advice is to get going by 6:30am before things get busy. We were able to drive with no stops to Old Faithful at that time one morning. We saw the mud pits and and other sites and then got stopped by Buffalo which was ok because we had seen our goals for the day and the buffalo were interesting. that was our experience- mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
yellowstone

We stayed just north of Yellowstone in Gardiner, Montana. Nice little town on Yellowstone River.

Rocky Mountain RV Park. Nice park right on the river. We had no trouble with two 40 footers in the park.
Rocky Mountain RV Park and Lodging Vacation Yellowstone National Park

The town is right at the entrance on the North side of the park. We loved the town and the area. Rafting is close and spent several days doing the upper loop and southern loop and Beartooth Hwy.

Then headed south through the park and stayed in Jackson Hole while visiting the Grand Tetons.
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #32

If you can, start your day in Yellowstone EARLY! If you can be on the road right at sunrise, there is a lot to see and not too many other tourists. By 10:00 AM the roads become congested and pull-off parking is hard to find.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Sheffield Campgound Campground, Moran, Wyoming 83013 - Bridger-Teton NF,
Did a little research and it said it was closed for the 20126 season. Normally open the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend. I guess there is a river you have to cross to get to the 5 campsites. With the heavy snowfall this winter in WY. I would say the snowpack might last for some time. Jackson Hole ski area has gotten 350" so far. J-Hole Web Cams

Quote:
If you can, start your day in Yellowstone EARLY! If you can be on the road right at sunrise, there is a lot to see and not too many other tourists. By 10:00 AM the roads become congested and pull-off parking is hard to find.
Good advice...You think even for the first two weeks in June it will be that busy? Madison and Bridge Bay campgrounds.

Generally when we are dry camping we get to sleep by 10 ish, but then get up at first light....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #34

Here's a good site to find a national forest campground. First you need to look on a map to see the name of the national forest you are staying then click on the national forest name to find the campgrounds.

Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #35

Yellowstone

We hosted at Bridge Bay two summers ago. Since all sites are reserved (no walk ins) it was reported as full almost every day yet as we drove around the CG on duty there were a lot of empty sites where reservers were no shows. If those sites were for multiple days, then other than that first night, they would open up if you were at the gate. It's a challenge and really irritated me that so many people make reservations...just in case...and don't cancel them so they go unused.

As far as distances vs driving times...it's also a crapshoot. You could end up in an "animal jam" and it takes forever to go 5 miles. we shopped in Cody (90 miles) and west yellowstone which was a lot closer and it was sometimes faster to go to Cody!

If you can do Bridge Bay and Madison, you will be able to access the Park. June isn't as bad has July & August but still crowded.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKINBETZ View Post
We hosted at Bridge Bay two summers ago. Since all sites are reserved (no walk ins) it was reported as full almost every day yet as we drove around the CG on duty there were a lot of empty sites where reservers were no shows. If those sites were for multiple days, then other than that first night, they would open up if you were at the gate. It's a challenge and really irritated me that so many people make reservations...just in case...and don't cancel them so they go unused.
We have gotten sites in Madison and Bridge Bay exactly by doing the above. We drove up to the campgrounds even with our 40' motorhome and easily secured a site without reservations. There are always cancellations. However, you have to be there early morning because others are wanting those sites, too. We stay outside the park nearby the previous night.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
TAKINBETZ

Quote:
Being a host at Bridge Bay, and a person has a reservation, and you pre-assign them a site, how flexible are they about changing to another site. The reason I ask is because portable solar will be my only power source. I know both Madison & Bridge Bay are somewhat open, but I would hate to get a site that just happened to be full shade. I was looking at the historic weather for both and see it will be cooler than I thought for late May to June 15th (30's or even 20's at night).
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #38

yellowstone

The campground is managed by a subcontractor - Xantera. We volunteered with the Park Service. My recollection is that Xantera moves people around if they can. The lower CG is a wide open meadow shared by the bison. The back upper area is more wooded but nothing completely enclosed in trees.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #39

Some general information about YNP (some general items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or all stop for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 mph radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Note- I have seen on this blog and others about somebody "day tripping" from YNP to GTNP. It is done all the time however, remember this is BIG country, you will be doing a LOT of driving. From the Grant Village visitor center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way or 40 miles. Then from Grant Village add the distance to your CG it will be a LONG days trip.

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until shortly before 10 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise spotty.

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water!HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas have only pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line at the lower Geyser Basin 25 or more feet long (bless the tour busses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area!

Sun- At YSNPs altitude the sun is intense (uv) have and apply sun screen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear sun glasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10-20 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F geyser basin while waiting for the next eruption. Old Faithful INN is a must see (meals are "OK" also).

We have lived about 110 miles (4739' elevation) from W. Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go there 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all of it yet! So don't be discouraged that you didn't have the time to see all of YSNP. Just plan on coming back another time!

I don't mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 Million visitors in 2015!

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/SEATING TABLE ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice". If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pad to fold up to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

Bar J Chuckwagon
Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in 2015, my daughter and I took two all-day tours through Buffalo Yellowstone Tours out of West Yellowstone. The first tour was the upper loop and the second tour was the lower loop. We were picked up at 8:00 in the morning at our campground (West Entrance/Yellowstone KOA).

We enjoyed it as neither of us had to drive and we had good tour guides. We stopped everywhere on both tours and even saw bears. Both tours were well worth it. Instead of driving and maybe missing something, we just rode along and enjoyed it.

And, we didn't have to wait long for Old Faithful to erupt!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A question I will put in this thread (it fits) need only one positive response.

As I recall, I THINK it was Yellowstone But there was a Catholic Church
Our Lady of the _____ (snows, trees, I am not sure) within the park.

I'm interested in : The correct name of the Parish the Parish web page and the name of the pastors.. or Administrators going back to 1990.

I thing the priest I'm looking for was named Alvarez. Due to the manner in which we met, He may well be deceased now. (I hope not). but.. Well, it's been over 25 years.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A question I will put in this thread (it fits) need only one positive response.

As I recall, I THINK it was Yellowstone But there was a Catholic Church
Our Lady of the _____ (snows, trees, I am not sure) within the park.

I'm interested in : The correct name of the Parish the Parish web page and the name of the pastors.. or Administrators going back to 1990.

I thing the priest I'm looking for was named Alvarez. Due to the manner in which we met, He may well be deceased now. (I hope not). but.. Well, it's been over 25 years.
Our Lady of the Mountains is in Jackson. https://olmcatholic.org/ They have contact information on the website.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip