Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Yellowstone Park

Looking for advice for mid July RV camping in the Park. 36' Class A in Yellowstone. Thanks in advance.
Kenfocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Are you looking to stay on the east side or the west side? Also how close do you want to be?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Make reservations NOW everything will be taken soon.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

If you need hookups I'd recommend you try Fishing Bridge first - it's in the park.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

We stayed north of Yellowstone last year. It was really nice but not that convenient.

I have heard very bad reviews in Fishing Bridge - like so crowded you can barely put out your slides?? I didn't stay there, but that was enough to make me think - no thanks.

I hope to go back soon and we would stay in West Yellowstone outside of the park. I like the idea of being midway between the north and south loops. We had to way too much repetitive driving with our trip last year. However if time wasn't an issue, I wouldn't mind staying south for a while to visit the tetons and the southern loop for a while. And then staying north again to visit the northern loop.

I would book NOW to get a place, but things can be available at the last minute if you aren't too picky.

I just LOVED that area!!!!

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We stayed north of Yellowstone last year. It was really nice but not that convenient.

I have heard very bad reviews in Fishing Bridge - like so crowded you can barely put out your slides?? I didn't stay there, but that was enough to make me think - no thanks.
I saw pictures of Fishing Bridge and was turned off for that reason. I couldn't camp there anyway because I have a hybrid RV. Tents, pop-ups and hybrids are forbidden because of ???? not sure. I'm thinking they only want big RV's staying there because they need the electric power.

We made reservations for both Madison and Bridge Bay about a month ago. I figure both locations are sort of in the middle where we will do day trips from each.

Can I ask: what is the average travel speed around the park? As an example. Staying at Madison Campground and driving to Old Faithful which is 16 miles. Is that a 15 minute drive, or an hour drive? (first 2 weeks in June before schools let out).
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenfocht View Post
Looking for advice for mid July RV camping in the Park. 36' Class A in Yellowstone. Thanks in advance.
At 5 months out I would bet the ranch everything was booked up a long time ago - try the commercial parks outside soonest as they might be booked also

This one destination you need to plan way in advance
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I saw pictures of Fishing Bridge and was turned off for that reason. I couldn't camp there anyway because I have a hybrid RV. Tents, pop-ups and hybrids are forbidden because of ???? not sure. I'm thinking they only want big RV's staying there because they need the electric power.

We made reservations for both Madison and Bridge Bay about a month ago. I figure both locations are sort of in the middle where we will do day trips from each.

Can I ask: what is the average travel speed around the park? As an example. Staying at Madison Campground and driving to Old Faithful which is 16 miles. Is that a 15 minute drive, or an hour drive? (first 2 weeks in June before schools let out).
I think the speed limit is around 40....but in reality it can be WAYYYYY longer. When we were there there was construction with really long delays. And if buffalo are in the road? Or a bear and her cubs on the side of the road? (speaking from experience...) you can sit while everyone gawks and takes pictures for a while.

Yellowstone is not a place to be in a hurry. Just expect the worst and be happy if you can get around at the pace you choose!

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #9

Yellowstone Park

The general speed limit in Yellowstone is 45 with a LOT of reduced areas around attractions. We usually tell tourists that it is divided into 1/2 hour segments of driving. I.e. 30 min from Old Faithful to Madison, 30 min from Madison to Norris, 30 min from Norris to Canyon etc. There are about 8 of those sections in the park. Now bison (not buffalo) and bear jams and elk jams will greatly extend those times. Stupid drivers stopped in the road will also prolong the trip as will HEAVY traffic in last of June till first of Sept.
We will be arriving at Old faithful about April 17 (weather permitting) and staying until Nov 7th (stamina permitting) working at the geyser bookstore.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene67 View Post
Yellowstone is not a place to be in a hurry. Just expect the worst and be happy if you can get around at the pace you choose!
Irene's posts are right on, speed limits mean nothing in YNP, just too many variables.

Fishing Bridge is fine for visiting the East side of the park, Gardiner is fine for the North, West Yellowstone for the western side, no matter where you stay expect to take longer getting from one area to another.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have stayed at Fishing Bridge a couple times in my 35ft A, it is a staggered back in setup but plenty of room. I have been able to park my toad next to the drivers side of coach and on passenger side there is plenty of room to set up chairs and grill. Not felt crowded at all.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #12

I really don't understand how Fishing Bridge gets a bad rap. We've driven through it many times and if we needed full hookups that's where we'd stay. Yes, the sites are close but then, many RV parks are like that. It also has trees so it breaks it up a bit. Your vehicle is parked next to your RV rather than in front of it and there is plenty of room for slides. We'd much rather stay in our gorgeous national parks when visiting rather than staying outside.

If you don't need hookups there are other campgrounds in the park itself which don't even accept reservations. We enjoy Mammoth.

We've gotten into Bridge Bay and Madison with our 40' motorhome even without reservations. We just drove up early morning and secured a cancellation.

Each national park has a wonderful web site including campgrounds, things to do, road information and special 'alerts'. Check them out. Here is Yellowstone's:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Also, don't forget about Grand Teton Nat'l Park which is right next door. Each one is completely different in looks and things to do. It also has two dry campgrounds that don't accept reservations and rarely fill. Each has 300 sites. We like Gros Ventre. The other is Colter. Colter Bay RV is right next to Colter if you need hookups.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #13

Thoughts

When visiting Yellowstone, if you will plan a morning early excursion, there will be little traffic, lots of critters wandering about, parking at major sites available and great light for photos. Then back to camp for late breakfast/brunch/nap then head out about 5. It is light u til 9 or so, then nice late dinner.

Beautiful Yellowstone at its best. Enjoy!
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

More thought

And just out the South Gate opposite Teton are USFS boondocking sites with great views and some space to hike etc. the park campgrounds are tight and very busy!!
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip