Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #43
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The OP isn't going until next summer, there will be a whole new set of construction in different locations. WYDOT (Wyoming Department of Transportation) is the largest employer in the state!
Haha! I live in the land of two seasons (north dakota/Minnesota) winter season & construction season. So we are used to driving in construction. But it's still a hassle.
DKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bring a towed it will save lot of issues in the park, it's hard enough to find parking places with a Jeep.

You might consider staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, we're there now. Really a great park. Only a few blocks from the NP entrance.

Also, plan on visiting the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center near the RV park. You get to see the animals in natural habitats up close.

You'll have a great trip, Yellowstone is just wonderful.

Happy camping,
Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
Also, plan on visiting the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center near the RV park. You get to see the animals in natural habitats up close.

You'll have a great trip, Yellowstone is just wonderful.

Happy camping,
Dave
I don't really call a grassy area with fake logs and food treats tucked in various nooks and crannies to make the animals actively search for food exactly natural. The real natural habitat is a mile down the road in YNP.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
....Also, plan on visiting the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center near the RV park. You get to see the animals in natural habitats up close....

If you ever get to see a wolf or grizzly up close in their natural habitat, there's a good chance that will be the last thing you see.

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
If you ever get to see a wolf or grizzly up close in their natural habitat, there's a good chance that will be the last thing you see.

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
I've lost count of the number of bears I've encountered hiking in YNP or GTNP. Most memorable was about 6:30 am on the boardwalk that goes behind Old Faithful. I stopped when I heard a noise and a 2-3 yr. old grizzly came foraging out of the trees. A couple of other early walkers came up and stopped beside me (safety in numbers?) and we watched as he ate flowers and swiped at a rotted log to get at insects. He finally saw us, turned and ran for the trees again. The power and speed of that young grizz was very impressive! I stopped at the ranger station to report the encounter and they identified it as one of two cubs they'd seen, my report being the first that the cub had finally, after 2+ years was now independent of the mom.

Why travel to Yellowstone and go to a zoo?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You might consider staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, we're there now. Really a great park. Only a few blocks from the NP entrance.
Happy camping,
Dave
We stayed at the West Entrance KOA. But we drove through Grizzly RV Park with the tour to pick up some tour passengers. Nice place but, as my daughter (age 28) said at the time, "I like where we're at better. This looks like a golf course."
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Apologies to the technical experts, natural habitat should have been in parentheses.

The point is visitors to Yellowstone NP are unlikely to see a wolf. As for a grizzly, seeing one inside of 500 yards is also unlikely. Those are the words of several park rangers.

The center mentioned is a not-for-profit organization that does good work. We enjoyed our visit & I think most people would.
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote