Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #29
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Bringing this post back to life. Where have you all stayed when in or near yellowstone. We are staying at Yellowstone Holiday RV-West Yellowstone. Seems like a great place. Just curious where others have stayed-pros/cons. Especially if anyone has stayed at Yellowstone Holiday but Id love to hear other places too.

Thanks!

Patrick
DKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #30

We were in Yellowstone a week ago. Drove the coach through the park twice pulling the toad. Didn't have any problems. We stayed at Red Rocks campground in Island Park, ID, and at the RV park behind the IMAX theater in West Yellowstone, MT. We did all of our exploring of the park in the toad. The trips through the park were simply the shortest routes for us. We did pull the coach and toad into Old Faithful with no issues and also stopped stopped by Yellowstone Lake to watch a large Grizzly sow and two cubs. They were about 400 yards off the road at a nice size nearly empty pull-off.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
x2!! Same as above only two weeks ago.
Love Red Rock, although a fairly long drive to the north
Lamar valley for wildlife viewing. We stay in Gardiner for the northern part.
This year we added an extra 4 days in the Tetons, beautiful sights. Nice to drive back down a different route thru Jackson.

If you are coming west after that, stay towards Hoback junction around Palisades Resevior, another nice drive taking you to Idaho Falls, going southwest from there. You avoid a steep pass by doing that.
Also, stay off the Norris route heading from West Yellowstone north. dirt rocky road construction, for ten miles, with delays. Bad on the radiator.
Dunraven Pass is easily drivable, just take it slow both ways.

We always love going there. We spent a half day driving to Coty. That is also a beautiful drive, different terrain.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Bringing this post back to life. Where have you all stayed when in or near yellowstone. We are staying at Yellowstone Holiday RV-West Yellowstone. Seems like a great place. Just curious where others have stayed-pros/cons. Especially if anyone has stayed at Yellowstone Holiday but Id love to hear other places too.

Thanks!

Patrick
We stayed south of Yellowstone at the Colter Bay Campground. Great view of the Tetons from the other side of Jackson Lake.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #33
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
We stayed south of Yellowstone at the Colter Bay Campground. Great view of the Tetons from the other side of Jackson Lake.

-cheers
Oh that sounds nice!! Im going to check that place out! although I think we are fairly happy with our decision to stay where we are, good to hear of other options!! Thank you!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #34
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
We were in Yellowstone a week ago. Drove the coach through the park twice pulling the toad. Didn't have any problems. We stayed at Red Rocks campground in Island Park, ID, and at the RV park behind the IMAX theater in West Yellowstone, MT. We did all of our exploring of the park in the toad. The trips through the park were simply the shortest routes for us. We did pull the coach and toad into Old Faithful with no issues and also stopped stopped by Yellowstone Lake to watch a large Grizzly sow and two cubs. They were about 400 yards off the road at a nice size nearly empty pull-off.
Good to know. Funny, we just bought a new Toyota Corolla today. our old towing vehicle was a 2000 Grand Prix. It was really hurting. Now we will be able to explore the park in it when we go! excited for this!!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #35
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
x2!! Same as above only two weeks ago.
Love Red Rock, although a fairly long drive to the north
Lamar valley for wildlife viewing. We stay in Gardiner for the northern part.
This year we added an extra 4 days in the Tetons, beautiful sights. Nice to drive back down a different route thru Jackson.

If you are coming west after that, stay towards Hoback junction around Palisades Resevior, another nice drive taking you to Idaho Falls, going southwest from there. You avoid a steep pass by doing that.
Also, stay off the Norris route heading from West Yellowstone north. dirt rocky road construction, for ten miles, with delays. Bad on the radiator.
Dunraven Pass is easily drivable, just take it slow both ways.

We always love going there. We spent a half day driving to Coty. That is also a beautiful drive, different terrain.

Unfortunately Yellowstone is as far west as we will be. But thats great advice!! someday we plan to become full timers (this will be when we retire). Then we will get to explore more of that area and further west! Thank you for the response!

Patrick
Old 06-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #36

The construction is actually between Norris and Mammoth. Madison to Norris to Canyon is clear. There is A small construction going on between Grant and Old Faithful that could slow you down just a little but not bad. The bison jams, if you come across one, could be worse!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Awesome! I will look for it.
Here it is: Armand's Rancho Del Cielo: Review: Touring Yellowstone With The Buffalo Bus Touring Company

ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #38

I am currently at Yellowstone. As someone else mentioned right now the road construction creates a giant headache. I am re routing myself when we leave to avoid the park as the road construction is too muddy, and rough for me to go through with my MH and trailer. Parking is a nightmare, drove some of the park yesterday in my Jeep, crowds were so bad that at times there was no place to park or traffic was backed up for miles. I have made several trips to the park and there has always been some section of roadway under repair. I suggest you look into the tour company or consider separate cars. Even with all of the current hassles the park is a fantastic place, truly one of America's delights
Old 07-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
A couple of points. I visited and taught grad classes in and about YNP and GTNP for 18 years. I led tours and also have hiked and explored the region each summer on my own time. Yes, at times the roads and parking areas are crowded, but we looked forward to the BHM jams (Big Hairy Mammal) as an opportunity to view wildlife. I've driven buses, 15 passenger vans and my RV in and around the park. For the most part, parking isn't an issue if you don't mind walking a bit. The only place parking is really limited is at Tower Falls. Most other major areas have good parking -- if you're willing to walk. Speaking of walking, it's been my observation that most visitors stay within view of their vehicles at all times, ---where it's crowded. To really see the World's first National Park, take a hike. Mt Washburn is a favorite, great views and a dramatic change in plant and animals as you change altitude. For a short, but dramatic change, at Old Faithful walk up to the overlook. Bunsen Peak is also a nice hike. Thousands will be shoulder to shoulder around OF as predicted eruption time approaches, but up on the overlook I've been alone or with only a few others, in July and August.

National Park campgrounds that except reservations fill up as soon as they start taking reservations and fill up fast. The other campgrounds in the parks are first come - first filled. Arrive at 8:00 am and wait at the camp office, when someone leaves, you can get the spot. The only site that used to almost always have spots was Gros Ventre (pronounced Grow Vant) campground near the GTNP Jackson airport. Many a summer I'd fly into Jackson, rent a car and stay the night at the campground before moving on. (packing a tent and sleeping bag)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I am currently at Yellowstone. As someone else mentioned right now the road construction creates a giant headache. I am re routing myself when we leave to avoid the park as the road construction is too muddy, and rough for me to go through with my MH and trailer. Parking is a nightmare, drove some of the park yesterday in my Jeep, crowds were so bad that at times there was no place to park or traffic was backed up for miles. I have made several trips to the park and there has always been some section of roadway under repair. I suggest you look into the tour company or consider separate cars. Even with all of the current hassles the park is a fantastic place, truly one of America's delights

If it has just rained or if you are worried about getting your rigs dirty I would definitely avoid the section between Mammoth and Norris. But that is the only major road construction currently causing significant back ups. They don't work during the week ends so that could be an easier time. Working here at Old Faithful we have noticed that surprisingly Friday's and Saturdays are our slowest days (less people). But that being said, park visitation is up a whopping 25% over last year.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I am currently at Yellowstone. As someone else mentioned right now the road construction creates a giant headache. I am re routing myself when we leave to avoid the park as the road construction is too muddy, and rough for me to go through with my MH and trailer.
I hope you'll never plan to drive to Alaska if you don't like construction and dirt.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
The OP isn't going until next summer, there will be a whole new set of construction in different locations. WYDOT (Wyoming Department of Transportation) is the largest employer in the state!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote