Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Yellowstone question

We are going out there for 8 days or so summer of 2016. Just wondering if you can drive through at least a large part of the loop in a motorhome. We have a class A that is 36 foot if that makes a difference. We will have a tow vehicle with but are also traveling with another family. There will be around 10-12 of us total and we were thinking one day we might all pile in and take the motorhome in the the park and make a full day of it with the conveniences of the motorhome (bathrooms, water, kitchen, etc). We are staying just outside of the West Yellowstone entrance.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Patrick

DKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
In my opinion, not a good plan. The major sites, Old Faithful, Lake Area and a few others will have adequate parking, others such as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is most likely out of the question. The summers are jammed inside the park, any parking will be at a premium. If you want to just around the Grand Loop, you shouldn't have any problem.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #3
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
In my opinion, not a good plan. The major sites, Old Faithful, Lake Area and a few others will have adequate parking, others such as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is most likely out of the question. The summers are jammed inside the park, any parking will be at a premium. If you want to just around the Grand Loop, you shouldn't have any problem.

Fred
Thanks!! Okay, so we will have several days there. Was thinking a couple of days taking the cars but on one day taking the motorhome for the Grand Loop. In you opinion would that be worth it? or just scrap that idea and do separate vehicles all together? Thank you again for the response. So much planning even for a year out!! ha ha!!

Patrick
Old 06-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

Fred
X2. You will absolutely be able to drive all of the loor with your motor home, just so long as you don't want to stop and see anything, During the summer, parking can be a real problem at many of the more interesting areas. I cam recall more than once, circling round and round a parking area waiting to grab a spot for my pickup.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #5

Some years back we did that trip with only an RV (about 33 ft and no toad) and seemed to be able to see most of what we wanted to see. I know it was before a lot of current crowding, but the roughest part I remember was getting through the gate. (You fit, but it is close.)

My biggest memory of that part of our trip was trying to find spots that were level enough for the refrigerator. When you are in a car you don't think about slopes, but with an active refer you will find there are a lot of places that just have too much of a tilt to leave the refer turned on.

We did see a number of RVs traveling through the park on our last trip two years ago. But, I did not notice a lot of them stopped along the way.

You are smart to be planning now. It will make your trip a lot more enjoyable.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
X2. You will absolutely be able to drive all of the loor with your motor home, just so long as you don't want to stop and see anything, During the summer, parking can be a real problem at many of the more interesting areas. I cam recall more than once, circling round and round a parking area waiting to grab a spot for my pickup.

Joel
Okay great info!! Thank you! sounds like we just will wanna break up and take the cars. The other family takes a towable pulled by a large SUV which seats like 8 or so. That along with our car sounds like the best option so far. Thank you!!!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Some years back we did that trip with only an RV (about 33 ft and no toad) and seemed to be able to see most of what we wanted to see. I know it was before a lot of current crowding, but the roughest part I remember was getting through the gate. (You fit, but it is close.)

My biggest memory of that part of our trip was trying to find spots that were level enough for the refrigerator. When you are in a car you don't think about slopes, but with an active refer you will find there are a lot of places that just have too much of a tilt to leave the refer turned on.

We did see a number of RVs traveling through the park on our last trip two years ago. But, I did not notice a lot of them stopped along the way.

You are smart to be planning now. It will make your trip a lot more enjoyable.

Good luck and safe travels.
Haha! I am a huge planner on any trip we go on. Im almost to the point of being insane about it. But everyone appreciates it in the end. Thank you! I think we would be leaning towards just doing the car thing through the park now after all of your great responses. We are pretty active so we want to stop, hike, all that fun stuff!!!

Patrick
Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're heading to Yellowstone later this month in our Class C. But I remember 25 years ago that the park was crowded and we drove the loop in a Mercury Lynx and towing a Starcraft pop-up. Parking was the major problem even just for us.

This time, we are skipping taking our MH into the park and we're going to see the park through a tour company. The lower loop will be one day and the upper loop the next. I figure that it is better to leave the driving to someone else so I can relax and enjoy the sights and photograph them.

Also, after seeing videos of bison and elk ramming vehicles on YouTube, I don't want risk having my new MH "initiated" with horn or antler gouges on the sides.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #9
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Thanks!! another great reply!!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #10
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
We're heading to Yellowstone later this month in our Class C. But I remember 25 years ago that the park was crowded and we drove the loop in a Mercury Lynx and towing a Starcraft pop-up. Parking was the major problem even just for us.

This time, we are skipping taking our MH into the park and we're going to see the park through a tour company. The lower loop will be one day and the upper loop the next. I figure that it is better to leave the driving to someone else so I can relax and enjoy the sights and photograph them.

Also, after seeing videos of bison and elk ramming vehicles on YouTube, I don't want risk having my new MH "initiated" with horn or antler gouges on the sides.
Hey can you also let me know what tour company you used and how you liked them? that would be great!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Hey can you also let me know what tour company you used and how you liked them? that would be great!
We're using the Buffalo Bus Touring Company out of West Yellowstone, Montana. I will probably write a review on them since I run a travel blog.

Based on the communications I've had with them so far, I am impressed. They seem pretty professional.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
We're using the Buffalo Bus Touring Company out of West Yellowstone, Montana. I will probably write a review on them since I run a travel blog.

Based on the communications I've had with them so far, I am impressed. They seem pretty professional.
Awesome! I will look for it.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:11 AM   #13

This year there is a lot of road construction going on in the park. It would be quite uncomfortable and slow going in a larger rig. I think it may be getting ready for the National Park Celebration next year so maybe doesn't matter. Currently can't get between Old Faithful and West Thumb, bridgework has road closed. The road from Mammoth to Norris has a lot of construction and is slow and rough. We have had thunderstorms almost everyday since we got here May 7th. Maybe only 3 days of sunshine. Even considering all that this place is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
ALSO - No one has mentioned the need for seat belts. Never seen a MH with 10-12 belts.

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote