Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
Yellowstone RV length limits

We are looking to rent an RV to go to Yellowstone. The only RV sites that are available for reservation are 30' sites, or less...but the RV we're looking to rent is either 31' or 32'. Anyone have any experience with fitting an RV in a spot that is a little longer than what it should be? What has your experience been? Are there certain campgrounds in Yellowstone that might be less likely to have a problem than others? Thank you!

hdharrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were in Fishing Bridge some years ago with a 26' Type C MH. It was tight with it when we had a small '95 Honda Odyssey and dolly.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Probably worth calling some of the campgrounds you would like to visit there and just ask them. It would be a shame to drive all the way there to find they won't let you in regardless of what someone else's experience may have been. I've called in advance to campgrounds that list the max length as a few feet shorter than my 36' motorhome to find that they actually did have some spaces that would accommodate my rig. At one large campground they claimed to only have 10 sites I could fit into. We went ahead to the campground and were able to get a site. We walked most of the large campground and we could easily have fit into at least half of the sites. There were a couple areas where the turns in the access road would be a little tight so in this particular case the limits they listed online seemed to be more related to potential clearance issues with their roads. There's a significant difference in turning radius capabilities between the various coaches out there so I imagine they set their restrictions on the conservative side. It would be wise to find out as much as you can about the motor before you decide. Good luck!
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
2002 VW Passat on Kar Kaddy SS
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We've camped a week at Fishing Bridge in a 40' MH with toad. The only problem was the 3' of snow...
The folks who work there suggested next time we call them direct fer reservations and updates. Appears the "big computer in the sky" hasn't got a clue as to local requirements...
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
The only campground in Yellowstone with full hook up is Fishing Bridge, It may be a little tight getting around but doable. You better have reservations already if you plan to go this year.
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
you may be fine but i would hate to get there and have a new by the rule ranger turn me away. if you are planning for this summer most spots are probably already gone.
west yellowstone is right at the west entrance and you should be able to get a spot.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Of the 5 months that Fishing Bridge is open, as of 10 minutes ago only 6 DAYS were sold out. Further, reservations may be made for RV's up to 40'.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at Grizzly RV park, it is right at the entrance and a very nice park. You can also walk to downtown from there.
2008 National SurfSide 34E (Bunk Model) Ford V10
Sold- 1990 Hawkins Chevy P30 454
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Yellowstone RV length limits

I use Google Earth to view campgrounds. It has a measuring tool, and I use this to check the length of an intended campsite.

Google Earth is different from the Earth view in Google Maps. It's free, but you must sign up and download the software. It's very useful, and no ads or other solicitations have appeared on my PC from using this service.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Take another look at the reservation system. We had reservations at Madison with our 40' RV just last year.

No hook ups, but they have potable water and a dump - and the location is much better for using as a home base the Fishing Bridge. (And, one heck of sunrise down by the rivers, with the elk nearby, and a few buffalo cruising by too...).

If you need hook ups, then I'd second the suggestion to using West Yellowstone as your home base, and we did like Grizzly.

It will add another 20-25 minutes getting into where the junction is next to Madison.

Best of luck to you, and delayed welcome to the board! (Keep searching Yellowstone on this board, and you should find lots of good info!).
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
We were in Yellowstone last year with a 34' bumper tow travel trailer. Both Fishing Bridge and Madison can accommodate this size. You can get reservations at either of these campgrounds but only Fishing Bridge has electrical or other hookups.

2 other campgrounds we stayed in outside the park that can accommodate larger RV's are Bakers Hole campground (just outside the town of West Yellowstone and about a 5 minute drive to the park entrance. Has electrical at some sites but not water or sewer) and Yellowstone Holiday RV Park (on Hebgen Lake, full hookups, and about a 15 minute drive to the Yellowstone park entrance).
2013 Wind River 280RLS, 200W Solar
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone NP in July 2013 with at the time a 32 foot Class C motorhome towing a Jeep. I didn't have a problem getting in or out and the RV seemed to fit in the space easily. All spaces were actually a space and half with one for the RV and the half for the toad. All the spaces were right in a row. There was other RV's that seemed longer in other spaces.
Bob and Cathy
2015 Itasca Sunova 33c towing a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
I can't recall the name but we stayed at a park west Yellowstone Koa or something like that, few minute drive to the park. Full hookups, plenty of room for 40ft plus RV's (our was 38) and a bear crapped 2 feet from my bed
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've worked in the Teton's and our company managed 2 campgrounds, Signal Mountain Lodge and Lizzard Creek. SML has a few sites with elect and water only, the majority no services. Lizard Creek all dry. While actual parking sites might accomdate an RV over 30' sometimes the problem is with the campground roads. I have seen people attempt access with a long 5th wheel or MH to have problems making curves in the road--one of the reasons they have a vehicle length or overall length posted. So do your homework. You block a road in a campground during season you are going to have campers and the law not too happy with you.

Don Kostyal
CMSgt, USAF ret.
2012 Canyon Star 3856//2009 Scion xB
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote