Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #1

We are now planning a trip to Yellowstone in the week of June 21 - 26, 2006. The current plan is to travel out I90 to 191 in Montana and down into West Yellowstone. Yes, Cruzer, we have decided not to do the Beartooth Hwy on this trip, but to wait until we have more time and can tow the jeep. Thank you for all your comments todate. Please keep them coming.

In searching the web, I found a company called "Yellowstone Tour Guides". They offer van tours of Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and a wildlife tour that goes to Cooke City, Mt. and back. Has anyone delt with or heard any thing about this company?

The tour company picksup at the three campgrounds in the town of West Yellowstone, Rustic Wagon, Wagon Wheel and Grizzly. We want to park the motorhome and either let someone else do the driving by taking tours and walking out to dinner. Oh yes, I am sure I will get to walk to the required shopping also. We stayed at Grizzly about 12 years ago and found it very nice back then.

Any coments about these campgrounds?
Any comments about things in West yellowstone to see and/or do?
What about where to eat?

Thank you for your comments.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #2

We are now planning a trip to Yellowstone in the week of June 21 - 26, 2006. The current plan is to travel out I90 to 191 in Montana and down into West Yellowstone. Yes, Cruzer, we have decided not to do the Beartooth Hwy on this trip, but to wait until we have more time and can tow the jeep. Thank you for all your comments todate. Please keep them coming.

In searching the web, I found a company called "Yellowstone Tour Guides". They offer van tours of Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and a wildlife tour that goes to Cooke City, Mt. and back. Has anyone delt with or heard any thing about this company?

The tour company picksup at the three campgrounds in the town of West Yellowstone, Rustic Wagon, Wagon Wheel and Grizzly. We want to park the motorhome and either let someone else do the driving by taking tours and walking out to dinner. Oh yes, I am sure I will get to walk to the required shopping also. We stayed at Grizzly about 12 years ago and found it very nice back then.

Any coments about these campgrounds?
Any comments about things in West yellowstone to see and/or do?
What about where to eat?

Thank you for your comments.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #3

Tom and Jo Anne,

I am not going to be any help on these questions. I just wanted to say that it sounds like you are going to have a great trip. Enjoy!

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with the tour groups because we always drive it ourself. I will say that I have been at a number of areas where a tour group shows up, everybody piles out of the van or bus, quickly take their pictures, and move on. They have a schedule to keep and unfortunately not everyone has the same interests so you may get pushed along when you'd rather spend some time at a given place and you may get bored if they see something that doesn't appeal to you. Another option would be to rent a car in West Yellowstone and see what you want, when you want. Driving really isn't bad in Yellowstone and I'd rather run my own schedule and eat and rest up wherever and whenever I choose. Anyway, that's another option you may want to consider. Here's A Link to a couple of places that rent cars should you decide to go that way.

We always stay in Grizzly RV Park when in West Yellowstone. It's one of the best parks around and is the closest thing to the downtown West Yellowstone area and is easily within walking range. It was a good park 12 years ago and it is getting even better every year.

Nearby Grizzly RV, you can walk 1/4 mile east to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. Also, the large Imax theatre is right next door to it. If you walk 2 blocks north you are right on the main drag, Yellowstone Avenue, one more block north is Madison Avenue. Right on Madison Avenue is Wild West Pizza, which is very good pizza and they will deliver to Grizzly RV if you want. Also on Madison is Bullwinkles, which has excellent food for dinner. Really top shelf stuff, a tad pricey if you order stuff like the Elk medallions but they stuff you with huge proportions and it's all really good. We bring doggie bags back to the RV (okay - people bags ). The Timberline Cafe is found on Yellowstone Avenue. This is a great place for breakfast or lunch. They have home baked pies, good soup, burgers, sandwiches, and plate lunches. We haven't eaten dinner there though because we either have pizza, cook in the RV, or go to Bullwinkles. Plus, they are 2 blocks from Grizzly RV. All of the shops are right in the same area so it won't be too far to lug all that stuff back to the RV. Then again, it won't be so bad because after buying all that stuff, you're wallet will be lighter.

Also, when you do enter the park at the West Entrance be sure to use the far right lane when passing through the ticket booths. You wouldn't believe how tight the other ones are and you might fold up a mirror going through. Don't ask me how I know that.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
We were there for 5 days last summer for our first trip (as a family) to Yellowstone. (The link to our online journal of that 11000 mile trip is in my signature - maybe you'll get some ideas).

Our first day at the park, we did the bus tour. It was great! We got to see a little bit of the whole park without having to worry about driving or parking and we learned a lot. We could then decide what to do and see for the rest of our stay. They picked us up right in Fishing Bridge campground. Enjoy!
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #6

Rich,

I just finished reading your BLOG about your trip. Very nicly done and what a wonderful trip you had. We have been going out to the west for the past 15 years (two week trips) but still have not made it all the way to California. We did make it to the shores of Oregon one time. In 2005 we spent a few days at Glacier NP, (great place). We took the red bus tour over the "Going to the sun road", which is why we are now looking at taking tours in Yellowstone. We have been there in the past. It was real nice to let someone else do the driving while I just took picture after picture. The guide knew just where to stop and what to see. She was great and never pushed us yet still made it back on time.
Thank you for your post.

Cruzer, thank you also. We may rent a car for a couple of days but still want to take some tours. I seem to learn alot about the area and see things I would of missed on these tours. Your post has lead me to another tour company. I wonder if anyone know anything about them?