Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayougal View Post
But I'm sure there are other things to keep us busy, like the museum.
When you've had enough of the 'Wild West' stuff in Cody, about 15 miles northeast is an interesting piece of US WWII history: Heart Mountain Interpretive Center, Heart Mountain Foundation, Wyoming

If you've got a few minutes, there's an interesting video here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alan-si...ternment-camp/ that shows a heartwarming look at something that's generally viewed as a dark event in our history.

The Interpretive Center powerfully commemorates the tragic consequences of the government's wartime imprisonment of Japanese Americans.

About a 15-minute drive (each way) and about an hour there will be time well spent.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #30

While visiting the Yellowstone area, you also might consider a day trip to Virgina City, Montana. We and our Grandkids enjoyed both the trip there and spending a few hours in the town. There is a Visitor Center that provides some of the history of Earthquake Lake along the way if you are looking to stretch your legs along the way. Virgina City is a very well preserved old mining town. As you walk down the wooden sidewalks, you can peer into the past by checking out the Livery Stable, Blacksmith Shop, General Store, etc. Blended into the stores are some very period correct modern amenities, Ice Cream, Pizza, Art Galleries, etc. I probably enjoyed the actual trip there as much as the visit in Virgina City, the sprawling ranches and small communities made quite an impact on my senses and I am looking forward to when we can return. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Yes... If it is still there stop in to Mustards Last Stand. Cute little hot dog place in town.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cody Museum Disappointment

As recommended by all the Cody Museum is a DO NOT Miss. I have been stopping there periodically over 40 years now. The last time I was there I was totally disappointed because they took lots of items out of the museum and put them in storage. What I mostly missed were the Old Maps and the Gatling Gun standing in the entrance to the gun museum. Attendant said they had many complaints from people like me. So please do COMPLAIN as many people only get to see that stuff once in a lifetime. Making the loop through to the North Entrance into Yellowstone is a must. Huge lush green valleys filled with buffalo. What it really looked like back when.
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #33

Hey LA cousins. We went to Mt Rushmore, stayed in Custer. Then over to west Yellowstone the down to Jackson hole. Tell the driver to bring extra underpants and make sure jake and brakes are good. Enjoy
Old 01-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #34

Old Trail Town in Cody is neat to see. The short story is that a guy in the area went around starting in the 60's, and collected old buildings from various locations. He dismantled them and reassembled them in Cody to build an old west town out of original buildings. There's a cabin used by the Wild Bunch, a saloon with bullet holes in the bar, livery barn, cabins, general store, etc. All neatly lined up in a town. There's also the graves of Liver Eatin Johnson and others. It's a neat walk through history.

Old Trail Town, Historical Tours & Events in Cody, Wyoming
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cody is well worth the trip. We’ve been there twice and will probably go back. I wouldn’t call it convenient to Yellowstone, but day trips in the toad are easily doable.

As someone already said, distances out west are huge. But looking back on the drive time between Cody and the Tetons, I don’t recall it being that long. But we went through the park. Many of the GPS units will route you around the park. The speed limits are low in the park, but depending on your timing, it isn’t that bad.

Still, if you are coming from the east, it might be best to go west first and make Cody your last stop in the area.

—Rod
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone