Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Yosemite 1st timer coming from East

Need some help! We have a 34 ft motor home with toad, and will be coming from the east on US 6 to Yosemite! That is the way Good Sams RV Club trip maker is taking us. Is there any do's and don'ts we need to be aware of? How are the roads and What campgrounds should we consider to stay in. We should be there around end of June or so. We would like to stay outside the park and drive toad into Yosemite Village.
Any information is greatly appreciated from everyone.
Thanks soooo very much

BoPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
see my post about coarsegold in this thread yesterday.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Route to Yosemite

US 6 ends/begins in Bishop, CA. There you will turn north to the town of Lee Vining. Mono Vista is a campground located there. From there you can access Yosemite via Tioga Pass.

Oh, and be sure to stop at the Whoa Nellie Deli on the road to Yosemite. Fabulous sandwiches!
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When are tough going? The passes are still closed right now so you would have to take 80 over the Mountain.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #5

Around end of June or so!
Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

I'm interested in this as well, we will be staying at Yosemite South/Coarsegold KOA in late June, and driving our toad into the park. We will be coming from the East on I-10 though, then taking 99 and 41 north, so we should miss most of the mountains (I think).
JimHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YART bus from RV park

We have been to Yosemite twice and each time we stayed at and RV park that was on the YARTS bus route. YARTS picked us up at the RV park in the morning and dropped us off at the visitors center. About a 1 hour trip and only cost $10. The kids where free with each adult. In the afternoon the YARTS bus picked us up at the designated stops and dropped us off at the RV park. We even took our bikes with us on one of the trips.

YARTS

On one of the trips we saw cars being turned away do to lack of parking in Yosemite.

Might consider this route instead of driving into the park. Just my 2 cents
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

oh yeah, i saw some of the YARTS stuff on the np website, good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrv831 View Post
We have been to Yosemite twice and each time we stayed at and RV park that was on the YARTS bus route. YARTS picked us up at the RV park in the morning and dropped us off at the visitors center. About a 1 hour trip and only cost $10. The kids where free with each adult. In the afternoon the YARTS bus picked us up at the designated stops and dropped us off at the RV park. We even took our bikes with us on one of the trips.

YARTS

On one of the trips we saw cars being turned away do to lack of parking in Yosemite.

Might consider this route instead of driving into the park. Just my 2 cents
JimHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #9

One thing to be aware of if you come over Tioga into Yosemite Valley is that here are height restrictions heading into the valley due to 2 tunnels.

From the Yosemite website:

Big Oak Flat Road (Highway 120)
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet for single vehicle.
Height restrictions: tunnels, into Yosemite Valley: 10 feet 3 inches; from Yosemite Valley, 13 feet 8 inches (the height of the tunnel at the white fogline is higher and full sized tour buses are able to drive through the tunnel while remaining in their lane).
Seasons: Open all year (chains may be required in winter).
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RT 6 is a fine road, 2 lane and it meanders around the numerous Nevada ranges but it is a good road. Tioga pass is steep with some pretty tight sections that are cut into the side of the mountain and it is a LONG way down. Some of these sections give me vertigo when I look over the edge.

Another option would be to take 50 from Eli to Carson City, then 580 to Reno and 80 over the mountains. 50 pretty much follows the pony express route and there are several historic markers and artifacts.

If you do take 6 I see no reason to drop down to Bishop, fuel at Tonopah and pick up 120 near Benton. June lake is beautiful, you need to get reservations early tho. If you are a John Wayne fan Hot Creek Geological Site is where they filmed the dugout confrontation in the original True Grit. This is near the Mammoth Yosemite airport.

You could do a Yosemite day trip with your Toad from June Lake. Yosemite Valley is beautiful but way too crowded. The scenery is stunning all the way up Tioga pass and on top of the mountain just a few miles from June Lake.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #11

Highly recommend...

Mono Vista RV park in Lee Vining is less than a mile to 120 that leads into the park's east gate...beautiful drive. We stayed 5 days - would have stayed longer, but our site was reserved. The park is very nice and well maintained and IIRC, reasonably priced.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

Thanks so much.....Great information!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

Ghost town of Bodie (Bodie State Historical Park)is a day trip from Lee Vining and a must see...raised the hair on the back of my neck - it's like they all just left for a vacation and never came back.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife works in Yosemite, and I used to live in Ely, NV. US6 is a less traveled road. Make sure you keep your eye on the fuel tank gauge. I had a friend that did US6 in a motorscooter!
Remember, Tioga Pass is only open from Mid June until Mid November depending on the snowfall. The summit is 9998 feet. I'd check around June 5, to see if it is open yet. In early May there still was 12 feet of snow on the pass.

Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote