Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

Yosemite

Will be heading to Yosemite in May. Any suggestions on where to stay? In the park or outside the park? We have a 37' rv.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

Wow! May can be a little early, although not as bad as Yellowstone, but I understand quite a bit of snow has been falling in the Sierras. I'd call before I got there to see what entrances are open. But with that said, Yosemite is beautiful with snow.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Plan on being there around May 20,weather cooperating,staying outside park in Lee Vinning.Several campgrounds in area not sure yet where we'll stay.Our first time that far west so I got no clue what would be best.Good luck
Lkmurrytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We were there in April one year. 60 degrees one day, snow the next!

We stay in the Valley whenever possible! Way closer to all the vistas.

YOU MUST go on recreation.gov TOMORROW to reserve your site for May! The valley campsites sell out in MINUTES! Reservations open at 10am sharp Eastern time.

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

You might still have quite a bit of snow in May.. but you'll have the most amazing waterfalls ever!
Staying outside of the park is usually best, however only if you have another vehicle to drive around. We usually stay on the south end at the campground near Wawona (it's closer to us), or camp at Bass Lake and take the motorcycle up to the park. There isn't anything better than driving through the park on a bike.
There's usually a pretty good line of cars waiting at the gate to get in. Plan EARLY rising.
All of the roads are windy and 35 mph max in the whole park. Parking an RV in the valley might be a little rough too. Not impossible.. you're not the first one to do it.
Because of the snow level, it may impede your hiking choices. There's some GREAT bicycle paths in the valley too if that is an option for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite09 069.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	116536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	116537  

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Snow pact is already deep, depending on how much more snow they get the east entrance may open late. In El Nino years 97-98 the east entrance didn't open until July 1st. This years El Nino is suppose to be larger the that one was. Keep on eye on sites like this for the estimated opening date.

Info & Guesses about Tioga Pass opening date in 2016 ~ Late? - Yosemite National Park Forum - TripAdvisor

tioga pass opening 2016 - Yahoo Search Results
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Our first trip there was in April of '73 with an Opel wagon towing an old tent trailer. I don't remember for certain, but we must have used the East entrance (we came from the East) because we also visited Kings Canyon, Sequoia, or both. The snow must have been 10' high along the roads near the redwoods. It was all BEAUTIFUL!!

We stayed overnight in a parking lot in the valley near a restroom. That night it rained followed by a light skiff of snow. The next morning I went to the restroom and the whole floor was covered by people, I guess they were hikers or? who came inside to avoid the rain. Probably can't stay in the parking lot any more, but I remember passing at least one beautiful campground in the valley. We've been back several times, but not recently and those times we visited for the day and continued Eastward over the hill. It is truly a beautiful place.

Todd157k, love the Triumph Bonneville. I bought a new Trophy in '67 and sold it when we moved from WV to OR in late '73.

Have a great trip!

Steve
Old 01-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was in Yosemite Valley in November. Have you made reservations yet? I'd get on that right now once you know the dates you'll be there. Memorial Day or near it might be tough.

If staying in Yosemite Valley, they have buses to help you get around. If you want to be independent, use a bicycle or walk and bus.. If crowded, getting around in a car will be hard, and hard to park.

When making reservations on Reservation.gov, if they say the site has room to park a thirty five foot vehicle, they mean it.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The thousand trails 3 miles outside the park is a great place to stay.

If you are coming in from the north or west (san fran), go in via coulterville and greely rd. way way way easier than 120.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

Do a day trip up to Badger Pass Ski Area... You can rent snowshoes and walk out to Angels Landing...
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We are also heading to Yosemite in May. So far I have checked all of the campgrounds inside the park and 9 that I found outside the park (including Wawona as mentioned in post #5) and they are all full. I also noted the reference to "The thousand trails 3 miles outside the park" as noted in post #9 and it appears to be a membership campground called "Yosemite Lakes RV Resort"?

Boy, I thought that once I retired and could get out there before school lets out that I'd have an easy time getting reservations. Guess not.

In any case, if you have recommendations I'd like to hear them.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just came across "Diamond O" campground which says it is just outside the Big Oak Flat entrance to Yosemite park. They have slots open for the days that we want to visit Yosemite. Are any of you familiar with Diamond O?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #13

We made our reservations for inside the park, for early June 2016, last month. The RV spots were gone in 3 minutes for Upper Pines campground in the Valley. This morning reservations opened for thru July 15.

We stayed outside the park two summers ago. We stayed at Yosemite Pines, nicely wooded, kinda crowded. It's about 20 miles from the Big Oak Flat entrance on HWY 120. The Yosemite Lakes Thousand Trails park is about 15 miles closer to the park entrance. It is not as wooded, mostly open field. We would stay at either of these parks again if we couldn't get inside the park. The problem is that Yosemite Valley is at least a 45 minute drive from the park entrance. So you spend a lot of time commuting back and forth. Our granddaughters got tired of that pretty quickly, even though with FHUs it meant TV and WiFi! It limits the time you can actually spend enjoying the park.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
We made our reservations for inside the park, for early June 2016, last month. The RV spots were gone in 3 minutes for Upper Pines campground in the Valley. This morning reservations opened for thru July 15.

We stayed outside the park two summers ago. We stayed at Yosemite Pines, nicely wooded, kinda crowded. It's about 20 miles from the Big Oak Flat entrance on HWY 120. The Yosemite Lakes Thousand Trails park is about 15 miles closer to the park entrance. It is not as wooded, mostly open field. We would stay at either of these parks again if we couldn't get inside the park. The problem is that Yosemite Valley is at least a 45 minute drive from the park entrance. So you spend a lot of time commuting back and forth. Our granddaughters got tired of that pretty quickly, even though with FHUs it meant TV and WiFi! It limits the time you can actually spend enjoying the park.
We are looking at "Diamond O", "High Sierra", and "Yosemite Pines" right now so it's good to hear your evaluation of Yosemite Pines.

It looks like Yosemite Lakes Thousand Trails park is a membership park system, but I see that they do have an option for non-member reservations as well. More expensive than the other options but maybe the closer proximity to the park entrance is worth the extra $$$.