Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Yosemite and Lake Tahoe

Getting out on our first extended trip. Leaving Phoenix first week in July. Late start,will be hot as usual. Need to get high elevation as soon as possible. Heading to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Any advice on CG and boondocking in these areas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernsue View Post
Getting out on our first extended trip. Leaving Phoenix first week in July. Late start,will be hot as usual. Need to get high elevation as soon as possible. Heading to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Any advice on CG and boondocking in these areas.
Both areas will be packed that time of year. But both beautiful. Sorry cant help with specific recommendations.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

I would look into taking Hwy 395 up to Mammoth Lakes, Mono Lake area. Should find some boondocking up there. Mono Lake is really neat. Then you can day trip up through Hwy 120 Tioga Pass 10000 feet to Yosemite valley, spectacular scenery.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

We were in Lake Tahoe last August. We stayed at Zephyr Cove resort. Very expensive, tight spaces and very crowded. We will be going back there in June and will be looking for a different CG.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
If you want to stay in Yosemite valley, you HAVE to make reservations the MINUTE they open up. I think the July reservations open at 10am on Feb 15.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
If you want to stay in Yosemite valley, you HAVE to make reservations the MINUTE they open up. I think the July reservations open at 10am on Feb 15.
X2......It will book up quick at Yosemite.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If you are traveling 395, Mono Vista RV Park in Lee Vinning is a good place to stay. It is just north of the 395 & 120 intersection on 395. It is about a two hour drive to the valley from there.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Join Thousand trails for about $500 and camp at Yosemite Lakes FREE with complete hook-ups etc. WE signed up for two Zones only $500 per year. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
If you are traveling 395, Mono Vista RV Park in Lee Vinning is a good place to stay. It is just north of the 395 & 120 intersection on 395. It is about a two hour drive to the valley from there.
2X. Both Mono Lake & Bodie Ghost town are well worth a visit in the Lee Vining area. I've stayed in Mono Vista RV Park a couple of times. While there, also take the June Lake loop (a little south of town) with your toad. A very pretty drive...
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #10

Fallen Leaf Lake at the southwest side of Lake Tahoe is a nice campground. It is a forest service cg so you might want to go online now and reserve a space if you are interested. There are no hookups but they do have a dump station. They do have restrooms with showers. Most campsites are close to Fallen Leaf Lake with some decent fishing and great hiking. Have fun!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove into Taolumne Meadows early in the morning without a reservation and the office said that they were booked out and did not operate a waiting list so we decided to do a few of their walks. Later that afternoon we again enquired about a site and was told they had about 20 spaces.

Moral of the story is do not take NO for an answer
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello all, in May we will be making our first ever trip to Lake Tahoe staying at the Campground By The Lake. I need advise on which route to take from where we live in Southern CA. We will be in our 35' gasser pulling a toad on a dolly. The two routes I have to choose from are, 1. The I-15 to US-395 and so on. 2. The I-15 to I-210 to I-5 to to I-80 and so on. According to Google maps, The 395 route is 435 mi 7 hours 30 minutes to get there. The I-5 route is 532 mi 8 hours 3 minutes to get there. I will be traveling between 55 and 60 MPH, so the times will be longer. I would like to hear from anyone that have traveled there routes to let me know which is the best way.

Thank you,
Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #13

395 for sure from S Cal. Great Eastern Sierra scenery especially from Lone Pine north.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Hello all, in May we will be making our first ever trip to Lake Tahoe staying at the Campground By The Lake. I need advise on which route to take from where we live in Southern CA. We will be in our 35' gasser pulling a toad on a dolly. The two routes I have to choose from are, 1. The I-15 to US-395 and so on. 2. The I-15 to I-210 to I-5 to to I-80 and so on. According to Google maps, The 395 route is 435 mi 7 hours 30 minutes to get there. The I-5 route is 532 mi 8 hours 3 minutes to get there. I will be traveling between 55 and 60 MPH, so the times will be longer. I would like to hear from anyone that have traveled there routes to let me know which is the best way.

Thank you,
Chuck Boone
Chuck,
I agree with Paul that 395 is the way to go from Southern Cal. We are in Carson City and my parents live down in Apple Valley. We always take our trailer down to June Lake via 395 and some places are slow-n-go but otherwise it is a nice drive. If you took the I-5 to 80 route you we will be going out of your way. If you took the I-5 to the 50 East, that wouldn't be out of the way. Have a safe trip. Ted