Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Yosemite Bound Need Help

In mid June we will be traveling from San Fran to Yosemite in our 39Ft Providence. DW +4 other adults friends from overseas. We will be staying outside the park at Westlake Campground in Coulterville on Highway 132. We should be about 23 miles from the park entrance. We will not have a toad. Can we drive in the park with a MH? Is there a closer camp site to the entrance where we may pick up some public transportation? Any help ideas are appreciated. We only have a day so somewhat limited on what we can see. Appreciate any help. Thx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

The roads in Yosemite can be narrow and tight in spots but for a few size restrictions nothing you can't navigate. The bigger issue will be parking during peak season. In many areas it will be packed literally in the parking lots and roadside parking is at a premium as many areas do allow roadside parking due to sensitive areas. My recommendation would be to rent a car if you only have one day to see the sites. Here's a link to size restriction info;

Vehicle Restrictions in Yosemite

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
HHg

We stayed at Grizzly, which is in West Yellowstone, it's about three miles from the park entrance. I would hesitate to take a larger RV through Yellowstone. We drove a 34 footer through there and just going through the park to West Yellowstone was tough. Wish you had more time as it takes at least a whole day to drive each of the main loops. Hope the time is great!

Hhg
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
HHg

Oh, the first time you see traffic backed up for about a mile.....it's not a wreck, just an elk, bison, or duck on water
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
We stayed at Grizzly, which is in West Yellowstone, it's about three miles from the park entrance. I would hesitate to take a larger RV through Yellowstone. We drove a 34 footer through there and just going through the park to West Yellowstone was tough. Wish you had more time as it takes at least a whole day to drive each of the main loops. Hope the time is great!

Hhg
I believe he said Yosemite.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
HHg

You are so right.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

If you can rent a car ,leave your rig in Camp all the better, it's not impossible but way less hassle for sure. My tip is what I've done for years as we Camp in the Eastern Sierra and drive over for the day. Plan on being down on the Valley floor early in the morning (7-8ish). Study the park map and you'll see where the shuttle runs. Find a nice spot and back your car in and leave some room behind you. Take chairs and lunch and using the shuttle you can see the whole Valley, it really works well and is not a hassle. When its lunch time head back to car and have some lunch and relax. When its crowded don't ever move your car until you are ready to leave valley floor. It's worth getting up early for trust me , we leave from east side at 500am. You'll see people circling and circling waiting for a spot, that's the people who arrive at 1000-1100am . It might sound like a hassle etc but Yosemite is just downright awesome to view in person. We've been coming for over 30 years and still get excited to go. If time permits plan on making a stop at Glacier Point, its a breathe taking view that you will never forget and late in day sun is at your back for awesome photos too! Also bring Binoculars to search and find climbers scaling El Capitan, sometimes if you can't find them just watch other people and somebody will be pointing at them. As you can tell this is in my blood !
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

We visited Yosemite last fall and would strongly suggest not to try it with the MH. Roads are good but many, many sharp curves and some very steep climbs and downhills. As someone already said parking would be difficult. Yosemite is so beautiful and so many things to see, do it by car.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #9

The PO of my 26' MH melted the brake system coming down from Tioga Pass. $4000 damage. The had a big jeep toad. Maybe no brake assist. Be careful.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yosemite has some tunnels that made my muscle pucker, My rig requires 13'4" clearance.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #11

Best to bring your towed vehicle or rent a car.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSitongia View Post
The PO of my 26' MH melted the brake system coming down from Tioga Pass. $4000 damage. The had a big jeep toad. Maybe no brake assist. Be careful.
I suppose you understand you have no one to blame but yourself.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

Just returned from camping in our Coachman 26' at Yosemite (upper pines campground). No problems getting in and out but would strongly encourage using HWY140 over HWY120 as 120 climbs to higher elevations, has steeper grades, and tunnels. As mentioned in previous threads, parking will be a pain unless your parked in the campgrounds. Brings your bikes and or they also have free buses every ~10 minutes.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #14

Rent a car. The reasons are too numerous to enumerate. A convertible would be perfect for Yosemite.