Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Yosemite in Nov., 39'KSDP+Toad

We are planning a trip to Yosemite Mid-Nov. NPS website advises the only 2 CGs capable of accommodating 40' M/Hs will be closed by 11/02/10. Various searches of Yosemite info on IRV2 seem to indicate the 35' length rule is not strictly enforced.
Should we avoid the park and seek a private CG?....or......?
Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
We do not require hook-ups but have dogs.
TIA
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Just did two stays in Yosemite Valley in April and July as my son was working at the Ahwanhee Hotel.

I have a 40 foot Winn Tour and was towing a car. It is not only that you only have two campgrounds that have sites for a 40-footer - there are ONLY 12 sites in those two campgrounds set up for 40-foot length. And realize that the roads in the campground are VERY tight with trees on both sides so even looping around the campsite is a very slow process.

We stayed at Site 111 in North Pines both times. That site is great because it is right across the road from the bath house and before the loop begins. So you can get in and out relatively easily.

Our MH tires were off the front of the cement pad and we did get a written warning from the ranger so they may enforce a 35 foot rule for other sites.

Not sure if snow is falling in November but it was in April. When we left, Rt. 41 and Rt. 120 had tow chain restrictions and we had to use Rt. 140 through El Portal to get out of the valley.

It's a pain to stay outside the park and drive in every day, but I don't think you have a choice.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We were in Yosemite 3 weeks ago and stayed outside the park at Yosemite Pines near Groveland and for the reasons stated we were happy that we stayed outside the park but were not too happy with Yosemite Pines, sites are crowded and very, very dusty.

I was scolded for rinsing off my windshield but I felt it my duty to let him know that I didn't want to be accused of stealing his land a lot of it was on my windshield so he grumbled something and left.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks RVThere, we've experienced tight turns and low trees in both Glacier and Yellowstone. We've so far been fortunate with length violations, forgiving Rangers I guess.
We'll probably try to find a suitable private CG for at least one night then scout around the park.
Dadeaux thanks for the YP tip, that sounds like a good park to pass up.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Big Sky The Park at that time will very enjoyable. If u are arriving from the south the fairgrounds in Mariposa has a CC also in Mid Mines there is a KOA,and one near El Portal along the Merced River I think the KOA runs a shuttle to the Park I have other posts about Yosemite check a seach

Joe Ka6bud Mariposa Ca.
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Patty and I have seen 40 footers in Wawona. Another choice if you can't get in the valley.
Yosemite National Park - Wawona Campground (U.S. National Park Service)

Still about a 30 to 40 minute drive to the valley. Depending on the road construction conditions. From Wawona, you will enter the valley from the famous tunnel overlook of Bridalveil Falls. November will be a great time in the valley. You have a slight chance of Glacier Point and Toulumne (Tioga Pass) being open.
Yosemite National Park - Glacier Point (U.S. National Park Service)

Highway 41, from Fresno, Wawona Road construction information link. This would be the road driven from Wawona Campground to the valley.
Yosemite National Park - Wawona Campground (U.S. National Park Service)

I've looked at the KOA. I don't think we would stay there. Very tight and lots of frame twisting to get into a site as I recall, and we are 37"

Tom and Patty Fresno, CA.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Joe: We searched available CGs outside the park and found the only one allowing 40' (and open in Nov.) was High Sierra........most indicated they close in Oct. Entrance from the east in November seems to be limited at best.
Tom&Patty: Wawona was one we're interested in if we can sneak by the 35' limit.
We will probably enter from Hwy.41
Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Big Sky as they say in the NFl upon further review I drove to the KOA in Mid Pines yesterday ,They will be closed for season The cc in ElPortal is old and limmited to size of rigs a large amount of tent camping Office was closed could not get any info. The KOA in Oakhurst south of Park on hwy 41 also closes for season. Fairgrounds in Mariposa is open all year 24 7 south west of Park (www.Mariposa fair.com there is public trans to the Park(www.Yarts.com)gate fee is include in fare a plus if u do not have GoldenPassport Hope this helps
Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Joe: Mariposa Fairgrounds looks like a good place to land for the first couple nights at least. Our schedule makes it tough to reserve a site too far in advance so the first come/first serve is helpful.