Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Your experience with Michigan State Park size limits

Hi,

I live in mid Michigan and stay mainly in State parks with my 35ft coach

When booking online I normally pick the up to 35 foot bracket and have got a spot.

Twice there no 35ft sites available so had to pick a 30foot one. I looked at the online photos and site length and width and took a chance, they were tight but fine.

If I went to say a 37 or 38 footer could this restrict me more?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I've never seen a campground refuse you your reserved site because the RV is longer than the site is listed for. Now if the bumper is hanging out into the road, or you took down a row of bushes trying to get in the spot...

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I look at the site info that is listed along with pictures many times for each site and make my decision based on that. We spent a few weeks in Michigan this past summer and they have some great state parks.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #4

Thanks both for the advice.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Increased length certainly can make things more challenging, but the benefits can out weigh the cons.

I have learned to do some research before just assuming "close enough, we'll fit" on site length alone. Some parks with length restrictions are also due to navigating the roads getting to the site.

To answer the original question, yes you may limit choices, but probably not much difference. Becomes bigger issue once you reach the 40 feet and over mark IMHO. When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to also call and ask questions about entry roads, etc.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Increased length certainly can make things more challenging, but the benefits can out weigh the cons.

I have learned to do some research before just assuming "close enough, we'll fit" on site length alone. Some parks with length restrictions are also due to navigating the roads getting to the site.

To answer the original question, yes you may limit choices, but probably not much difference. Becomes bigger issue once you reach the 40 feet and over mark IMHO. When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to also call and ask questions about entry roads, etc.
Thanks for the advice on the entry roads.

My wife thinks tat 35ft long enough.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is one reason I wanted to stay under a 30' RV trailer. We do 90% of our stays in state, national, forest service or BLM campgrounds. Yes, the web has provided more photos of campground sites and roads the last few years.

There have been times when reserving a site the person on the phone said that site is only listed for a 20' RV, when I had a 26' at the time. Knowing that campground, and staying in that site before, I told her I have stayed in that site before and have no issues. I have never been denied a site.

Many of the actual state park site length restrictions are wrong in the first place. Example: Cook Forest State Park in PA. had many of their sites listed as 20' or 30' where in reality a 60' RV would fit. My sis-n-law was trying to do a online reservation for a 38' 5th wheel. It told her there were no sites available for her dates. Knowing the campground, I gave here a list of 10 sites that were available for her. You just have to "lie" and but down 30', in your length requirement box.

We went from a 26' tt to a 28' 8" RV we just bought in Oct. The new RV tt is 18" taller than the old one, so I will now have to watch on over hanging tree branches.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
That is one reason I wanted to stay under a 30' RV trailer. We do 90% of our stays in state, national, forest service or BLM campgrounds. Yes, the web has provided more photos of campground sites and roads the last few years.

There have been times when reserving a site the person on the phone said that site is only listed for a 20' RV, when I had a 26' at the time. Knowing that campground, and staying in that site before, I told her I have stayed in that site before and have no issues. I have never been denied a site.

Many of the actual state park site length restrictions are wrong in the first place. Example: Cook Forest State Park in PA. had many of their sites listed as 20' or 30' where in reality a 60' RV would fit. My sis-n-law was trying to do a online reservation for a 38' 5th wheel. It told her there were no sites available for her dates. Knowing the campground, I gave here a list of 10 sites that were available for her. You just have to "lie" and but down 30', in your length requirement box.

We went from a 26' tt to a 28' 8" RV we just bought in Oct. The new RV tt is 18" taller than the old one, so I will now have to watch on over hanging tree branches.
Height is definitely one to watch here in Michigan.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Height is definitely one to watch here in Michigan.
I remember my brother had a 13' 5" toy hauler (5er). He was driving thru a PA. state park (Laurel Hill) laying a trail of tree branches to his campsite.

I'm only 11' 6",but having two past RV trailers of 9' 6" and 10', I'll have to pay more attention to overhanging tree limbs. Just noticed the only train bridge in my home town is 11' 6".

The OP said "length" of a campsite was something to watch, but also how much swing room there is to back into a site. More so in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast state parks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #10

Getting around trees and tight campground curves gets more difficult the longer you are. Also the site may be long enough but in high season may be difficult to get into with the trees and other campers vehicles near the road. With our 35 ft length TT we have been staying in private campgrounds when we want to visit Ludington State Park. It wouldn’t matter at Hardwick Pines there is easy access and some pull through