Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
1st Time Quartzsite

As I was asked to post upon returning from the RV Show at Quartzsite I take no responsibility for the length of this post

Left Friday morning 9am - four hours later in Quartzsite (QS)- stayed at the Knights Inn in Blythe. Clean but paper thin walls and idiots coming in late and making a racket both nights They were from some western northern state and apparently first time near other people. I kept telling my wife -"see if we had a RV could have been in a nice quiet spot" You have to get in motivational shots when you can

After checking in the at the motel - we drove to QS (20 minutues). Took the east off-ramp to drive back thru town (Northside of Fwy than South near Big tent) to checks things out. Stopped at two dealers that night - first Desert Autoplex. Spoke with Cris Campo. Since no one else was there (customers) we spent about an hour talking and looking around. However DW fell in love with one 2012 Canyon Star (gasser - the only new one he had) I wanted a small DP. This is not good. And it gets worst. Spent most of the time really checked out the Newmars (two DPs and the one Gasser) and talking with Cris.

So off we go across the fwy towards the Big Tent. And parked near the end dealer and we checked out all their DP (that's all they had) No one bother us I think they were still setting up.

Next off to the frontage road (Kuehn) and we visited the tent shops there. We purchased some homemade jerky. And I got an idea of where to park the next day.

Ate at a recommended Mexican Restaurant and my food was very good but the taco salad my wife got was bland and missing some ingredients - how do you screw up a taco salad ?? I told her not to order the exotic items from the menu

Next morning headed out to Quartzsite and the parking lot was almost full and here it was 8:05 am - got a spot next to a tree near the exit. Well no one told the vendors and attendees it started at 9am cause it had a lot of people already but not too crowded yet. We made it to the center row when herds moved it so we only had to deal with cross aisle demo with people in the aisle watching for one row. I spoke with the Demco rep for ten minutes and got a lot of great information. Same with the rep for SMI rep - she went thru both systems (DP and Gas). DW got two sets of king 1800 count sheets and two leather wallets or purse. And I got a vibrating pillow - testing it out now as I type. The line I kept using with the vendors when they asked me what Rv do I have "Well its like making Rabbit Stew..first you catch a rabbit" puzzled face "we are looking to buy one or don't have one yet". Talked with a caravan leader about Alaska/BC and also talked even more with the Milepost rep..all great info. Got offered a job working with cruise line land tour job shop in Alaska for summer fun Something to think about after retirement.

Its was really crowded inside when we got through with the big tent and did the circle tour of the vendors. Well that was a fun four hours.

We then walked to the Palazzo dealer on the side street and looked at the two they had. One was the new longer 36.1 which I really wanted to see.
The other was the 33.1. I think its been two days so the mind is fading And here's why - my wife shows me the difference in quality in workmanship and engineering between the gasser Newmar and the Thor Palazzo. I am not happy as I want a Thor Palazzo (Fleetwood Excusion or Tiffin Breeze the dealers are too far away). We are talking LA traffic here not fun. Newmar and Thor are in county.

The rest of the day as at the Gem Show down the street and GEM World. I got away with under three hundred $$$ in expense from those.

So in summary - had a great time ...weather was good (inside tent was freezing) got a lot of great information - in part because of reading this forum so I could zero in on things I wanted to know from specific vendors. Bad news is we will be moving the purchase out until after my retirement in August. Next step visiting Simi RV and Tom Lindstrom RV for test drives.

The adventure continues?

On another note - I knew the crowd would be older but did think it would be so...vanilla Not sure why that is? I'm now interested in demographics of RV community. Google trip

2016 Vegas 25.3 w 2011 Wrangler Sahara FMCA member
Ancient Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Hey Bad...., very nice report & a fun read. Good luck with your future shopping and eventual purchase.

Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Welcome aboard, and take your time to best enjoy the shopping experience. Remember you do not have to buy new. There are alot of good used coaches to be had for a great price. Don't be afraid to come back often with questions. Good luck.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with your DW's noticing the quality of a Newmar! That's why we have ours, maybe some year we might get another one, but this one isn't worn out yet and it's going on 11 years old.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
quartzsite2013 - YouTube

the video file was too big for server :( used youtube
2016 Vegas 25.3 w 2011 Wrangler Sahara FMCA member
Ancient Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote