Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Anyone going to Talladega next Month?

Hello everyone,

This will be our first trip with the Motorhome to the Talladega race. We are staying in the "B" section of the South Park, and would like to know if anyone out there might be staying in or around the South Park area.

Has anyone stayed there before that can tell us how it was?

Thanks,
patrick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're skipping this October. we usually stay At C & C Champion Camp ground. it is expensive 350 for a week with power and water, no dump hook up. pick your site carefully, prefer a hi site cause if it rains you'll be in a red clay swamp. We love NASCAR, but we're tied of watching 43 cars start a race and within 5 laps 7 to 10 cars do the "Start & park thing. then 35 cars follow each other around & AROUND till the last 10 or 25 laps and then may or may not get aggressive. Don't need M Waltrip or his brother dippy do Darrell teling me what a great race we're seeing. and if NASCARS choice isn't winning NASCAR may toss in a yellow to try to level the field for their pick. Seems to me racing within Nascar is about as creditable as TV Wrestlers. enjoy, it is a great track. be sure to visit the Museum beside the track. Arrive early and we usually leave on Monday and even with that traffic is heavy. safe travels...ed

Old 09-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

We have stayed in the infield in the Frontrunners campground and loved it other
than no hookups
I agree I have been a Nascar fan since 1970 and boy has it changed and not for the better I could vent on this for a long time the trucks are the best racing
they need to promote all the people in that series and let them run the show
Stock cars need to be stock cars
Bring back the Rock the best track to watch a race
So sick of Debris cautions and when one of the big guys wrecks we have 15 laps of caution so they can fix their car
I am hearing that Dover is going to lose a race big mistake
They need to back off of their templates and give the guys a little room to improve the cars (What nascar calls Cheating) if all the cars are the same that is what we are getting now and it is follow the leader
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Hey guys,

I have also been a NASCAR fan as far back as the middle 70ies. Talladega was the first track/race I went to. We parked in the in-field and spent the night in my car (right next to the one and two turns). I remember that a group pulled up next to us with a pontoon boat to party on.

I agree about the cars just going around and around, and the yellow flags (like yesterday, because of a 'rubber' spacer) because the leaders will need gas before the end of the race.

BUT - that is the reason for taking our motorhome.............for the camaraderie, fun, and partying. Out of all the tracks I have been to (Atlanta, Kansas, Kentucky, Daytona) Talladega is the 'most' fan friendly track that I have been. Talladega will be the only track that I will take my motorhome to this year.

Anyway, if anyone has stayed in the South Park area - I would like to hear your thoughts about your camping.

Thanks,
patrick
Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #5

Not going, but I am now working at the KOA closest to the raceway. Things are gonna get crazy here next week!!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #6

Go every year, stay on high ground, if kids? Watch them, you'll have a great time,
Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

how much does everyone typically pay for firewood?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
how much does everyone typically pay for firewood?
I always bring my own.
Patrick
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #9

Okay, I did not get any "been there done that" from anyone.....so I will just have to "go with the flow".

Monday September 30th got the Motorhome out to clean up and start getting it ready for the trip and....wait for it....the transmission was 'toast'. So, it spent the rest of the week getting the transmission rebuilt. Got it back Monday October 7th.

We are getting ready to leave tomorrow or Thursday and hope to have a trouble-free very long weekend too-at-from Talladega.

C'ya,
patrick
Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #10

Just to let ya'll know, we had the best time at Talladega last weekend. The Motorhome did great, and we got to the campground about 2100 hours Thursday night.

For "Scrappy"; as you drive into the Speedway area, there are a bunch of folks selling fire wood. Like I said before, I brought my own fire wood.

Everyone-I mean EVERYONE there acted like everyone else was there best friends. They would wave and say hi as they passed and stopped to talk and was helping each other out like they had known you all your life.

The campground was very clean and about every two hours or so an ice, or water, or LP gas, or a sewage truck would come by; about the only thing that didn't come by was a 'beer' truck...........They even had 'port-o-pottys' for rent for the folks in tents or those that wanted one. Each camp site had a trash can and the trash folks picked up on Saturday. There was a "quiet" time from midnight until six in the morning, so you could get some sleep. And of-course, the racing was great!
It was by-far the best camping we have done, and can't wait until next year. I have added a few pictures: one is of the section we were in, one of the very large 'bath house', about 300 yards from our site, and the other two of the first morning and the last day.
C'ya,
patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Camping Area.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	48529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath House.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	48530  

Name:	Friday Morning.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	48531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunday Morning.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	48532  

Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #11

Sorry, but firewood with an RV? We are using that for what, at Talladega? (Please don't respond "to build a fire")

Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer60 View Post
Sorry, but firewood with an RV? We are using that for what, at Talladega? (Please don't respond "to build a fire")

Thanks
Not sure what you are saying here...........but yes, firewood is used to build a fire.............
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fire Saturday Night Front.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	49844