Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #15

several listed in the RV section of Austins Craiglist. I noticed someone is buillding a new one near Bastrop,Tx on Hwy 71. Looks like it will be ready by race week. I you don't mind drving some, look around the Lakeway area on Lake Travis. Anything close to the track or downtown Austing will either be full or to expensive. Remenber there is more going on than just the race at that time of the year in Austin.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
Those cars are more advanced than anything NASA or the military has ever built. An F1 cockpit is one of the safest places on earth.
Astonishing amounts of money are involved in F1.
Compare a V8 that can spin to 14,000 RPM all day to a domestic V8 that cries above 7 grand or so...
I don't disagree, but at a cost of $7,500 for 3 nights of camping, I better be able to test drive one of the F1 cars

But seriously, I think that this is just another case of race tracks and promoters not being in line with what is a reasonable cost for coming to a race for a weekend in today's economy. We would love to travel to more NASCAR races and RV camp, but some of the tracks are really just asking TOO much for 2-4 days of camping.

We're diehard NASCAR fans and watch every race - boring or not - and when they showed some of the flyover shots from this past weekends race at Dover, it was kind of sad how empty the campground were. I could see in the TV shots that the reserved lots on the track property were not full, and the camping lot at the dover mall was almost empty. From the flyover shot it looked like there were less than a couple hundred (maybe even only a hundred) RV's camping at the mall - a place that in the past was typically pretty full

I will say that we went to Pocono Raceway in June and had a "premium" RV Trackside spot that retails at $500 per race - we paid $400 for 4 days of camping. Sure it's Pocono, but it's still only a few feet from the track and we had a great time that weekend. After looking at some other tracks, Pocono is definitely one of the best RV camping deals on the circuit - "premium trackside spots" or infield spots - plus the facility and people are really great.

But look at some of these other tracks:

Charlotte Motor Speedway: 600 Terrace RV Parking - Perched above turn 2 with spots ranging from 30x60 to 40x60. These sites have 30/50amp as well as water and sewer, cable and WiFi. A season pass with 20 passes and 20 infield/pit passes per race ranges from $17,000 - $22,000.

Infield camping at Charlotte ranges from $100 - $175 per race

Michigan Speedway: They took down the stands in turn 4 and put up a "premium" RV camping site. These sites include water and electric on paved spots with picnic tables, and start at $1,600 for a race weekend and include 2 passes -with add'l passes at a cost of $250 each

Chicagoland Speedway: Gecko Ride RV camping for the 2nd race of the year (a Chase Race) - $1900.00 for the weekend, but hey it does include electric.

Daytona RV Camping: Infield from $1,000 - $3,000 with mid to high dollar sites including electric,water and maybe sewer.

I'm sure I could go on and look up the rest of the tracks ... but my real point is that I think the tracks and promoters need to look at their pricing so that it's affordable for us "regular" folk to be able to go to a race (or two or three) a year.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
All of the infield and motorhome terrace prices are pretty ridiculous. Too rich for my blood.

Heck if I'm going to spend those dollars on an F1 race, I'd fly to France for the 24 Hours of Lemans. Now that's getting your monies worth!

Of course that means leaving the RV at home, but I think my wife would actually go because it's in France.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #18

At Talladega they put in new, wider seats and made them all different colors so now they won't look so empty on TV, it looks like there are people in the stands even when nobody is there, they did increase the size of coolers you could bring in.
Years ago they bought property across the street all the way to I-20 for free RV camping and parking, now most of it sits unused during race weekend.
Austin released the list of forbidden items, it's a HUGE list, no food or beverages, no coolers or thermos, only unopened individual water, no video devices, no camera lenses over 10", ticket holders arriving on foot will be turned away, no radios, no golf umbrellas,
http://6bd32fe3d0a84caa1d3b-e077574e...s(9.28.12).pdf
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel B View Post
At Talladega they put in new, wider seats and made them all different colors so now they won't look so empty on TV, it looks like there are people in the stands even when nobody is there, they did increase the size of coolers you could bring in.
Years ago they bought property across the street all the way to I-20 for free RV camping and parking, now most of it sits unused during race weekend.
Austin released the list of forbidden items, it's a HUGE list, no food or beverages, no coolers or thermos, only unopened individual water, no video devices, no camera lenses over 10", ticket holders arriving on foot will be turned away, no radios, no golf umbrellas,
http://6bd32fe3d0a84caa1d3b-e077574e...s(9.28.12).pdf
I understand the banning of some of the items. Food/beverages are available from the vendors who likely pay huge money for the space there. You wouldn't think to bring a cooler with food/beverages to a professional baseball/basketball/football game or to most concert venues. I wouldn't want to be seated behind someone with a golf umbrella or have to listen to someone's radio. The video thing strikes me as wierd as most cell phones take video. For me I go to these events to watch and enjoy. Taking pictures and video would be a distraction.

The general admission tickets to COTA are $ 185 for the weekend. I understand they are sold out, together with some of the less expensive bleacher packages.

People will make the decision to pay the price and support the event or not. If attendance fails to generate the revenue desired the promoters will either discontinue the event or lower the costs.

Even though I won't have to pay admission, food or camping costs it will be a drive of 1,700 miles round trip in a coach that gets around 9 mpg. Having never been to a F1 race I'm willing to do that.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We go to Texas Motor Speedway for all the races it cost $1235 for a reserved camping spot and 2 tickets. We dry camp but you can get water $20 or tanks pumped for $40 I dont do this as the two of us can make it on our tanks. This is not a bad price. Anyone coming to TMS in Nov. come see us Spot 35V south side of track
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
The $1235 is for all the races.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #22

New Jersey's F1 race scrapped 'til 2014
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #23

Mariko Andretti makes first lap at Circuit of The Americas. Say all good. Craigslist now has several more RV spots for race @ $200/ Day. Also, there is a new RV park that just opened at junctioon of Hwy 71 and Hwy 21 that should be looked at if needing a space.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Forget about the $$$$
This weekend the locals had a "fun run" on the track..... 5000 (that's five thousand) turned out. IT WAS A TRAFFIC GRID LOCK SITUATION!!!!!
And they're expecting 300,000 for the races! GOOD LUCK!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #25

There is road construction going on that will be finished before race weekend.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #26

We're leaving Tucson on Monday night and plan to be at the track sometime Wednesday to get settled and avoid the traffic. RV parking for track workers is at parking lot N. Being the first year at a brand new facility there are sure to be issues but to see F1 here will be worth any teething problems.

300,000 sounds like a wildly optimistic prediction for attendance but hopefully turnout will support the event for future years. The general admission tickets are sold out. It would be great to see F1 become as popular in the US as in Europe and the rest of the world.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #27

I live in Austin and yesterday they had an event where people could run on foot on the track. 5,000 attended and there was an hour and a half traffic tie up getting into the track. Should be fun on race day getting in and out of there.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #28

That's pretty normal times for any big event in the Austin area IMO