Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Wish i was in the states for this. i've been wanting to see a race for years. The more years I wait the less F1 it will be. In five years they will turn from KRS type cars to electric.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsha View Post
That's pretty normal times for any big event in the Austin area IMO
Obviously the point is being missed.......
First: The "facility" including ingress/egress roads are touted as being ready by the local media.
Second: The "fun run" hour and a half gridlock was caused by 5000 people. They expect 300000!! That's 60 times the people! Let's see now - 1-1/2 hours for 5000 people - gosh that aquates to a 90 hour delay for 300000 people
But according to our esteemed local newspaper "all will be ok as helicopters and shuttle busses will be in operation".
I say again - GOOD LUCK
(we'll be in F'burg or K'ville)

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #31

DH (English by birth and an ex-Jaguar apprentice at Coventry) follows F1 like a cult member. However, he has no interest in attending in person. Money being one consideration, traffic another, but most importantly: the view and commentary.

Y'all have just confirmed the first 2, and the 3rd seems obvious. I still think he should go to just one, for the experience, but it ain't gonna happen!

After the Abu Dhabi race, I may want to watch Austin with him. Those of you who attend: have a great time!

Cheers!

Sue
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #32

Traffic will be about the same as the Austin City Limits (ACL) or South by Southwest (SBSW) festivals and UT games. I have been to the track and it will have the best viewing for a F1 race that any attending fan can have of the race without watching it on TV. A good protion of the track is visiable from the stands. By race day a 3rd access road will be open to the track. The F1 race is a event that goes for several days with other activities that take place before and after the race so everyone will not be showining up 10 minutes before the race starts. As with any event in Austin the traffic will be bad, don't expect anything less. Just have to ask yourself is the juice worth the squeeze? If it is, then this will be an oppertunity that has not been available in the US for some time.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #33

I tend to doubt there will be 300K people at the event,,, but according to the COTA website most of the parking will be off site in lots around 30 minutes away and served by shuttle buses. They probably did not have this in place for a 5K road race. For an event like this crowds are to be expected. As stated it's no different than a large concert event. They also will have road construction finished and are sure to have more assistance in traffic direction.

Given the status of the F1 series championship and the result of the Abu Dhabi session there should be great interest in the Austin race. I'm pretty excited...
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #34

If you do not want to fight the traffic there will be helicopter flights from both ends of Barton Springs Rd. for 3 days to and from the track the cost is $1,465. Getting to Barton Springs Rd will be a challenge in itself. Very busy area.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #35

F1 race weekend info

ATX Grand Prix | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin
Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #36

I had the luck to attend the Singapore F1 this year while entertaining customers.

I like any type of dirt racing, NASCAR, and bikes but while the F1 is the most expensive, fastest type of pavement racing I did not find it enjoyable. Watching a small field of cars go by every minute or so with minimal passing just isn't racing to me!

I would NEVER spend my own money to attend one of these "races".

Give me a 30 car field of WOW sprint cars at Knoxville, IA anytime.

Remember, dirt is for racing, pavement is just for getting there!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #37

Guess that's why god invented chocolate and vanilla. This will be my first F1 race and I'm pretty excited. I'm also a marshal at Laguna for the MotoGP and AMA road races. I like the flat track motorcycle races but I would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch NASCAR.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8
I tend to doubt there will be 300K people at the event,,, but according to the COTA website most of the parking will be off site in lots around 30 minutes away and served by shuttle buses. They probably did not have this in place for a 5K road race. For an event like this crowds are to be expected. As stated it's no different than a large concert event. They also will have road construction finished and are sure to have more assistance in traffic direction.

Given the status of the F1 series championship and the result of the Abu Dhabi session there should be great interest in the Austin race. I'm pretty excited...
We are driving in Thursday night for Friday practice. We are in the cheap seats, but we will see F1 inaugurate the COTA!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsha
Thanks for the link!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #40

Interesting, on local Austin news tonight on TV hotels are complaining about lots of vacancy for race dates. Maybe now they will get real on pricing. Don't think there will be the huge crown that was expected for the race. Should know in a few days.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #41

Huge blocks of tickets go to sponsors, promoters, city and state bigwigs, a bunch of those go unused, thats why you see empty clumps in the grandstands at sold out races, I go to a bunch of races each year, but my last F1 race was Long Beach GP 1976, Clay Regazzoni won in a Ferrari, I was pretty drunk by race start, but I think I had a great time, lost my 35mm Nikon somewhere, came home with a lapel button and a Ferrari hat.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #42

Watched practice yesterday on Speed and I must say the track looks fantastic! Large crowd for a Friday. I hope that some of you that are attending will let us who didn't know how it went. It looked like they had some premium RV spots right next to the track. I'm sure those were $$$$$, but were there any other's? Hoping to be a vendor for the Moto GP and going back as a spectator for F1 next year.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote