Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Unhappy Austin Formula 1 USGP $!

They finally gave the phone number for makng RV reservations, we've been planning to attend for over a year now and were all excited, then I call and get the bad news, 3 nights, $7.500. includes 8 tickets, and laundry facilities ?, he said if we got a season pass it was a bargain at only $15,000. for three races, F1, Moto GP and Aussie supercars,
I don't know 6 people I'd want to drive to Austin with, and my coach does not sleep more than two couples,
At the 24 Hours of Daytona $220. got you 5 nights 20' x 40' in the infield roadcourse, 2 tickets, with option to buy more, entry to the fan zone and museum. we are let down and will watch it on the TV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Those cars are more advanced than anything NASA or the military has ever built. An F1 cockpit is one of the safest places on earth.
Astonishing amounts of money are involved in F1.
Compare a V8 that can spin to 14,000 RPM all day to a domestic V8 that cries above 7 grand or so...
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Geez that is crazy!!!! So much for me taking the coach down to Austin and hanging in the infield!!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Near the track, they're asking $1k for dirt to park your RV.
Know that the expected commute time (one way) from Austin downtown is 2 hours. The infrastructure to support the crowd is not yet there..

RV probably isn't a bad idea, as three star hotels are getting $350/night.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #5

Might try lone star Rv off 35 just south of down town I know it's not infield but a nice park the also have cabins I stay there all the time
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #6

Camping at the Travis center is normally 35.00 a day (4days = 140.00) now for the 4 days of the race the charge is $2,000.00 for 4 days, this is run by the State of Texas, Mr. Demerson who does not answer emails. It is from Woody RV Rentals. Evidently they have purchased the rights to park an RV at the Travis Center.

Also at other large races they let you leave Monday intead of fighting the Sunday traffic leaving the tracks, Austin is making RV's leave Sunday, the company from N.Y. in charge has NEVER put on a motorsports event, only NFL, NBA, tennis events.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Might try lone star Rv off 35 just south of down town I know it's not infield but a nice park the also have cabins I stay there all the time
Lonestar did not gouge people, their rates were $70. per night for the F1 race, 3 night minimum, but because of this they are booked up from Nov. 15/19 and have a waiting list for any cancellations.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

And free breakfast
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Why "poor boy" it in an RV? Out west of Austin there is an acreage horse farm with large house and cabana including a heliport - $30,000 for the three nights.
We're thinking $20,000 for our place
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

There is nothing inexpensive about Formula 1. MotoGP will be in Austin next year I think.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I love all car racing, from open wheel to NASCAR...but this is crazy.

What are these guys thinking? Are they trying to run everyone off or do they really think they'll fill all of the RV slots at that price?

I have a paved campsite at Kansas speedway, complete with pumpout and available water delivery. $350 for 2 race weeks (4 days each).

Somethings not right.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #12

I don't think there are plans to have Formula 1 in Kansas I would love to see Formula 1 but not until I can find a way to do it affordably. Maybe the trick will be to leave the motor home at home and get a hotel room with friends.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Why "poor boy" it in an RV? Out west of Austin there is an acreage horse farm with large house and cabana including a heliport - $30,000 for the three nights.
We're thinking $20,000 for our place
If you're going to go the heli route, and I don't blame you, rent out in Lago Vista. Great local airport and probably a 15 minute flight... Lots of temporary rentals.

People are just gouging on the RV setups, that's all.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #14

I love motorcycle road racing but could never afford to pay what it costs to go to a MotoGP round. I wound up becoming a race marshal and have been working as a flagger at Laguna Seca for the past 5 years.

I'd never been to a Formula 1 race but have always been fascinated by racing in it's highest form. NASCAR not so much. Anyway I signed up to work as a marshal for the Austin Formula 1 round at COTA. They are providing a site for my motor home, 2 meals a day and a general admission pass for a guest.

Looks like I'll be there, trackside !!!