RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Best route in an out of Tetons

Looking for your favorite route in an out of the Grand Teton National Park. We have stayed in West Yellowstone the last 2 years on our way North to Alaska. Thinking our return trip in September headed south to Arizona should be thru Grand Tetons. Do you all recommend going thru Yellowstone or entering from another direction?

FYI - I hate long grades at greater than 8%. Lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winningteam View Post
Looking for your favorite route in an out of the Grand Teton National Park. We have stayed in West Yellowstone the last 2 years on our way North to Alaska. Thinking our return trip in September headed south to Arizona should be thru Grand Tetons. Do you all recommend going thru Yellowstone or entering from another direction?

FYI - I hate long grades at greater than 8%. Lol

If this is the case you may just want to go thru Yelowstone. I think any other way in (like I-15, US26, US89) means going over some passes and even having to turn north to get back up to Jackson. Others will chime in.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

I will be watching this. I am coming from the east, I-80 most likely, and planning on taking US 191 or US 89 into Jackson.

Charles
Old 05-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

To answer your question, going from W. Yellowstone to the south exit to Teton NP is an easy drive.

Your route to Arizona needs some refining. Where are you crossing the Canadian border? Do you 'want' to go to W. Yellowstone again? Do you want to tour the Tetons? Do you want to explore anything particular on the way to Arizona?

There are many ways to get to Arizona depending what you want to see. We've done many trips from Yellowstone to Arizona various ways and they're all doable.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

191 north from i80 to Jackson is a great road. We have done in several times with a 40ft diesel pusher towing.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We did route 191 from I-80 northward thru Jackson into the Teton's with easy driving. On the return we did route 14 eastward out of Yellowstone and yes, that is a big / long grade.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I will be watching this. I am coming from the east, I-80 most likely, and planning on taking US 191 or US 89 into Jackson.

Charles

If it were me, I'd take 287 from Rawlins up to Lander and 287/26 through Dubois and over Togwotee pass. Plan to spend the night in Dubois or Brooks Lake if you can, the drive down the west side of the pass with the rising sun hitting the Tetons is one of the greatest vistas Wyoming has to offer.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If your not into steep grades (Rt. 22). Going into the Tetons through Yellowstone is the best route 191 all the way. Plus it is a gorgeous drive and no one is going fast.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
To answer your question, going from W. Yellowstone to the south exit to Teton NP is an easy drive.

Your route to Arizona needs some refining. Where are you crossing the Canadian border? Do you 'want' to go to W. Yellowstone again? Do you want to tour the Tetons? Do you want to explore anything particular on the way to Arizona?

There are many ways to get to Arizona depending what you want to see. We've done many trips from Yellowstone to Arizona various ways and they're all doable.
We live in Arizona and have driven multiple routes south of Salt Lake - prefer Vegas, Gila Bend, etc. Usually on a timeline to get back home. So tell me your best recommendation to get me to LV
Old 05-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #10

From Salt Lake City to south AZ I wouldn't go way over to Las Vegas.

I'd recommend I-15 south to Hwy 20 just south of Beaver, UT. Take Hwy 20 east to Hwy 89 and take it to Page, AZ and continue on 89 to Flagstaff to I-17
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
We really like the ride off I-80 up through Dubois ( I was told it was pronounced DEW BOSE , not the French) on US 26 to Moran and then into the Tetons. There are a few pulls, but nothing drastic and the road is straight and pretty good the last time we went up through there.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the OP is looking for a route SOUTH on his return from Alaska. It would help to know the route where the OP is coming down from AK--West or East of YNP/Livingston MT. I have been over the pass from Dubois and up from Pinedale in my 40' gasser pulling a toad. No problems either way. I also wouldn't hesitate to do the Teton Pass from Jackson into Idaho. Each route offers so much to see and do. Plenty of good camping around the Tetons--just may need a reservation and watch end of season camp closures. Spent 4 summers working at Signal Mountain lodge in the GTNP--my favorite place! Steep hills, watch your speed--slow and safe and able to enjoy the scenery. Don't stress--there are plenty of pull outs to allow others to pass as well as passing lanes. Have a great trip!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We used to live in Jackson and when possible we avoided the two national parks because of traffic.

From the north take 287 south and pick up 20 to Island Park. It will take you to Idaho Falls where you can pickup I-15 to Utah. Hwy 20 is smack in the middle between Yellowstone and GTNP. You can pick it up off of 191 if you want to, or just come in via 287/87.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Charles
X2 on 287...good scenic road.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote