Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dry camping at Hershey RV Show

Thinking about attending the Hershey RV show in September for the first time. Their web site indicates there is dry camping on the grounds, no reservations, limited to 100 spots. That doesn't seem like many spots.

Has anyone done this and are there spots available if you show up on Thursday night?

Thanks.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

Don't know about Thursday nite, some friends and us are showing up on Tuesday, late afternoon. Want to take advantage of the senior rate on Wednesday. And nope never been before, so don't really know what to expect.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Well, WE'RE HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
Thinking about attending the Hershey RV show in September for the first time. Their web site indicates there is dry camping on the grounds, no reservations, limited to 100 spots. That doesn't seem like many spots.

Has anyone done this and are there spots available if you show up on Thursday night?

Thanks.
Well, WE'RE HERE!

Arrived about 4:30PM. Signage was pretty poor but we found the overnight parking registration tent and got parked. Looks like plenty of space still left. I think they have more than the advertised 100 spaces available.

We were directed through the parking lot toll booths by following the signs. Not a great idea routing RV's through those narrow booths. My mirrors cleared by just inches on both sides.

We saw the show for a couple of hours and are back in the RV getting a good night's sleep for a full day tomorrow.

Any iRV2.com'ers here?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
offthewall:
We got here Thursday morning around 10am. Got a new rug for the MOHO. We decided to forgo the $25 drycamp spots because there are plenty of free spots in the regular parking and then at the end of the day we go to Walmart and park there for free. Both are drycamping so it made sense to us to save $75 to $100. The dry parking has nothing to offer worth that and Walmart is only 10 minutes away and we get a little battery charging on the way. We did siesta and lunch in the day parking lot so I can't really see the difference except for not driving 10 minutes twice a day. So if anyone is going I suggest dayparking at the show 7am-7pm then Walmart or another big lot 7pm-7am. But no matter where you stay you should come. Bring a jacket, it has cooled down. used the cat heater last nite.

We had ressies at Highmeadow Campground which IS worth the money I think but they flooded out and we were cancelled. We DID make next year's ressies though. Have fun!

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
How about the show? Wife and I are planning on coming up this evening. Not flooded? Good turnout?
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPugVA View Post
How about the show? Wife and I are planning on coming up this evening. Not flooded? Good turnout?
No floods. we only saw the show at the end of the day yesterday when we arrived, so there weren't many people there but LOTS of RV's to look at!

Didn't realize there was a Walmart nearby or would have done that as well and saved $50.00.

Saying it cooled down is an understatement, it was REALLY cold last night. Had the heat going for sure. It got into the 40's last night.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto the heat on last night. The show Friday is FANTASTIC!! Sunny, cool, lots of smiling people. No sign of flooding anywhere near the show. We only saw a couple minor flood related issues all the way in from Schenectady, NY. This is the best weather ever for us here. It's been hot before and rainy before but today and sat and sun are perfect. We go our money-booth money, scraped up about $35 worth for spending here at the Camping World store.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
spot

OK, just did my first walkaround the show No problem getting a spot.

If anyone wants to meet up. Send me a PM and we'll coordinate.

Rick
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Met Bob Tiffin

Went to the Tiffin area this afternoon. In the first RV, Bob Tiffin greeted us as we came up the steps. Nice friendly guy.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
)Off the wall, Walked by your rig yesterday (NICE!)

I'll be here all day today. Saturday. Iam near he 122 pole way in the back.

Rick
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
offthewall:
You have our favorite floorplan of all the new coaches. We have the 2004 Vectra 40AD which is similar and we actually like our better but only because of the bigger size. If the 34y ever comes out with a 38 or 40 foot version we will upgrade for sure. We still may upgrade to the 34y in a couple years (when the used 34y's get low in price enough). The main thing we wanted was all seating on one side facing the tv on the other side. Congrats on your choice. We're a bit jealous over here. Doesn't look like much changed from the 2010 to the 2011 and 2012 34y. Why change perfection?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
offthewall:
You have our favorite floorplan of all the new coaches. We have the 2004 Vectra 40AD which is similar and we actually like our better but only because of the bigger size. If the 34y ever comes out with a 38 or 40 foot version we will upgrade for sure. We still may upgrade to the 34y in a couple years (when the used 34y's get low in price enough). The main thing we wanted was all seating on one side facing the tv on the other side. Congrats on your choice. We're a bit jealous over here. Doesn't look like much changed from the 2010 to the 2011 and 2012 34y. Why change perfection?
Yea the only major change from 2010 to 2011/12 was the move from basement air to roof air. I'm not at all sure that's an "upgrade" for me. I like the basement air. They also have MCD shades all around which is nice, but I could do that for A LOT less than a new coach

The floor plan of the 34Y was the major selling point for us as well. The usual dual couches on either side and the TV in the front never made sense to us.

There are a lot of "mid coach" TV plans out there now but most of them are just as useless as the front TV layout with the TV way down at the end of the kitchen like the Tiffins have.

We are very happy with ours, not a single major problem in almost a year.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderman View Post
)Off the wall, Walked by your rig yesterday (NICE!)

I'll be here all day today. Saturday. Iam near he 122 pole way in the back.

Rick
It was nice chatting with you this morning. It's interesting to put a real face to a virtual one.

I got some expensive news from the Blue Ox tech right after I spoke with you. I was looking forward to a $25.00 rebuild like the guy next to me just received on his really worn looking bar. Our 4 year old Aladdin tow bar was deemed "shot" in his words. Even though it looked like new, the aluminum bars were coming disconnected from the ends that attach to the TOAD. Coincidence that the new ones use steel rather than aluminum? The replacement parts cost $600 to replace both. I traded in my old one ($150.00 credit) for a new one on the spot. NOT how I was planning to start the day.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
Well, WE'RE HERE!
Does Winnebago have their new line of "ONE" travel trailers at the show? If so and if you went through them, what are your thoughts on materials quality, workmanship, and floor plans? Thx!
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping