Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Cool EAA Airventure - 2012

Was wondering if anyone is planning on attending EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, WI in July. My wife and I will be there for our first long RV trip, 11-12 days.

As we are also an exhibitor at the airshow, we need to keep laptops, iPads, etc charged up every night, so we will most likely be in one of the newer sections with the hookups.

We're looking forward to it, and would love to meet up with others one night and do some hangar flying around the campfire.

-Mike
mladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Yup, DW & I arrive on the 22nd in the m/h, then I bail on her and head home for the bird with a friend doing a ferry flight, then back on 23rd with friend in my bird.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mllad,
Wish we were. Last trip, 4 years ago, we flew a CAF warbird up and got to park up close. Unairconditioned rooms at the school and yes it was 90+ during the day. Aren't MH's nice?

What are you peddlin?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #4

For those of us out in the far west, the EAA show at Arlington, WA is July 11 -15.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

My wife and I are staying at Kalbus Country Harbor, a campground just south of the seaplane base on Lake Winnebago. We're staying the whole week.
Than it's on to Sturgis, SD for the motorcycle rally.

Bill
2011 Winnebago Journey 40U
txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike, I'll be across lake MI from you near Traverse City.. We're headed up from Texas.
We won't make Oshkosk, but are looking into what it would cost to ferry a 32' Class-A across...

Last year we flew up in a Cherokee (TX to Traverse City).
I haven't yet found a way to use the plane and the RV at the same time...

Where are you leaving from?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
oshkosh

Wife and i will be up on the 22nd. plan on staying the week, my buddy has rented a class A and is coming the 23rd. Always a good time. we usually drive up to Oshkosh and fly down to Lakeland for Sun-n Fun. Have flown into Oshkosh 8 or 9 times over the years. A few times IFR with an arrival slot. gets exciting. Camped under the wing one time and almost drowned as a huge overnite storm tried to wash us away, Awww, the memories. Lol
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
With as busy as the field is.... Is recreational flying possible? My understanding is that you've got to be there at your window if you want an opportunity to land.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Was there in 2010 and had a blast. Boy it was hot and the campground was closed due to rain, so we ended up dry camping 10 miles away and riding a tram to the grounds.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
With as busy as the field is.... Is recreational flying possible? My understanding is that you've got to be there at your window if you want an opportunity to land.
The airport is closed to everyone for a few hours daily during the airshow. There is no "window" for individual arrivals unless IFR. If the airport is open, you can land! Get the NOTAM for a full explanation.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Was there in 2010 and had a blast. Boy it was hot and the campground was closed due to rain, so we ended up dry camping 10 miles away and riding a tram to the grounds.

I got luck I guess, and we got to park directly across he interstate from the Airport/campgrounds. With the exception of having to pay for a mobil pumpouts and water I think they did a great job of a bad situation in 2010. It has to be one of the largest rv gathering in the world each years.
to fly in just follow the published notams, a little overwhelming the first time but is really cool also. Bryan
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Not able to make it this year, but have been there in some weather extremes in the past years. Hope to make it up there again soon.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Mike, I'll be across lake MI from you near Traverse City.. We're headed up from Texas.
We won't make Oshkosk, but are looking into what it would cost to ferry a 32' Class-A across...

Last year we flew up in a Cherokee (TX to Traverse City).
I haven't yet found a way to use the plane and the RV at the same time...

Where are you leaving from?
CB, We'll be leaving from Chattanooga, TN. Probably on Thursday afternoon, arriving Sat morning and will be there the whole week.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Mllad,
Wish we were. Last trip, 4 years ago, we flew a CAF warbird up and got to park up close. Unairconditioned rooms at the school and yes it was 90+ during the day. Aren't MH's nice?

What are you peddlin?
Hal, It's a Winnebago Chalet.